Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2022, 07:57   #31

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Internet at sea, now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipcho View Post
I sold my boat a few years ago, and living on land now, I spend a lot of time on the internet. It definitely didn't improve my life.
now internet is required for a modern lifestyle. If you went more than a few days without you could lose status on various platforms because the algorithm.

Consider 1000 years ago people didn't spend much time playing sports: they were too busy working the land to survive. SO: maybe in a historical sense, internet wasn't required, but today many people would fall into depression and risk potential suicide without.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 08:50   #32

Boat: Bateau FS17

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Going to sea to escape the world is a rather futile undertaking
Correct.
For that, you would need a spaceship.
Fear not, however, Musk makes those as well
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 09:11   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
Correct.

For that, you would need a spaceship.

Fear not, however, Musk makes those as well

Will there be a used market. I can’t afford “new” . At least I won’t need to discuss anchors
Old 25-05-2022, 09:46   #34

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Please don’t tell my grandson.
I believe Elon Musk was about to do that but shipped his equipment to war instead.
I understand the aerial is quite petite.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 10:07   #35

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

This is very exciting about starlink. For those using starlink on a boat... are you just using the residential one? I just ordered the RV version.

Happy for all those who don't have to work/don't need internet, but being able to work from my boat will drastically increase the amount of time I can cruise!
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 12:04   #36

I work from my boat also. It’s kinda great. In the thousand islands I found no wifi to steal. Could pretend to be at the office in Kingston. Even our club at our slip the wifi is sketchy. I’ve added a booster and admit it’s in my slip I play office the most.
I con my grandson into piloting the boat. He’d quit if I had wifi and play games on the iPad. I was happy I made it to Kingston to resupply he was happy he got Netflix and the dudes he games with.
Not sure it would improve my life.
Old 25-05-2022, 12:53   #37
Nearly an old salt

I hope ultimately starlink does a cheaper but slower option 30 mb/s at a reduced cost would suit me
Old 25-05-2022, 13:08   #38

Boat: Bareboat chartering for now

The existence of Starlink is what makes cruising full time even feasible for us, and I know a lot of others as well. Don't even need it offshore (although that would be nice), but connectivity in remote anchorages and islands means we can make a living and not have to be constantly worried about the cruising kitty running dry.

Props to those who have the ability/desire/means to disconnect, but it isn't necessary to hop onto a thread about satellite internet to tell everybody how amazing you are.
Llarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 21:40   #39

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Internet at sea, now!

Ok so apparently many consider having all those thousands of new satellites doesn’t bother them but to me and 1 or 2 others it might

I don’t think I’m amazing but if you are doing everything just like on land then why bother going anywhere? I mean what’s the purpose?

I’m reminded of people who move to the country and complain it doesn’t have all the amenities of a city

YMMV
Old 25-05-2022, 22:34   #40
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Ok so apparently many consider having all those thousands of new satellites doesn’t bother them but to me and 1 or 2 others it might

I don’t think I’m amazing but if you are doing everything just like on land then why bother going anywhere? I mean what’s the purpose?

I’m reminded of people who move to the country and complain it doesn’t have all the amenities of a city

YMMV

Purists think as purists do.

Sailing while accessing the internet can not be regarded as “ just like on land “
Old 25-05-2022, 23:44   #41

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:

YMMV
Many cruisers live on their boat and wants to have internet in the same way they do if they lived in a house.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 00:52   #42

Soon the wifi boosters will be a thing of the past and the wifi extender will be the new hotness.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 04:38   #43

Quote:

YMMV
Your analogy is 180 degrees out. This is like someone living in the city because that's where their livelihood is and being excited when they learn that they can now move to the country like they've wanted to for years because a new technology allows them to earn their livelihood while living there.

To take the analogy further, the downers on this thread are the people living in the country who inexplicably feel the need to tell the people excited about being able to move out to the country that they personally don't need the new technology and therefore think it is worthless/stupid/dangerous/morally suspect.... And implicitly are arrogantly asking why you don't just stay in the city or become like them. Sorry, but that's just comes off as immensely entitled and self-absorbed! Perhaps try being happy for the folks who can now spend every weekend sailing to a new destination and every evening experiencing new cultures and places as they've always dreamed and pause for a second to think how fortunate you are to be able to do that and more with your additional free time?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 05:32   #44

I travelled over a million kilometres in the 80’and 90’s driving and lost count flying all for a big ugly corporation with some great people. I have relationships with clients which allow me to work from my boat or home. I’ve retired twice and couldn’t stand it. I switch professions and that didn’t work.
I even accidentally started a 3D printing business which generates more $$ than the government pension you sign on to at 65. Weee free meds.
A few of the things I print are for boats. I drop off bits behind their canvas.
I just created a key float to hold the pump out key in a translucent yellow tear drop. It’s a soft poly called TPU. The water fill neck is popular. So a phone clients from the boat as well as 3D render my next project. I know nothing about rains but had 3 experts ya help me reproduce a HO and O scale version of an industrial yard train from 1909. There are only 3 finished and 2 prototypes shelved but the whole design was done lounging in my cockpit. My single printer is overwhelmed. I’m on a wait list for a new one from Prusa.
I kept a power boat or two on the Severn River and Georgian Bay for years. I moved into the city to be closer to 6 grandkids. Switch to sailing cause Lake Ontario. Back where my Dad use to sail. Now the boat is not an hour and a half up to Georgian Bay.
Even the two oldest grandkids drop by. One did home work so I’m corrupting them in a good way.
If you can pick a couple days to work from your boat or mountain parked RV do it.
Do you the world of good. Don’t worry about bosses few will give a hoot about you few years from now. Most cases a focused persons productivity and success increase.
With Covid issues at winter storage just getting at your boat has damaged 2 seasons and the clubs have been empty.
Old 26-05-2022, 06:54   #45
Nearly an old salt

I don’t feel the need to return to paid work of any kind. I’m busy enough as it is.

Tags
internet