Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2018, 09:23   #61

Re: IPad for Navigation FAQ 2018

I too use an I Pad in the Med on Navionics charts and find it excellent the only proviso being that in direct sunlight it sometimes overheats and shuts down. Substituting a reflective gold coloured case for the previous black one has helped.
On another subject has anybody got any experience with troubleshooting a Pinta self steering unit? My 1960’s unit used to work quite well but recently has thrown a wobbly. Other bloggers have kindly sent me manuals but the control head seems to be if a different design to most. Anybody around familiar with this kit?
kilmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 10:13   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmaine View Post
I too use an I Pad in the Med on Navionics charts and find it excellent the only proviso being that in direct sunlight it sometimes overheats and shuts down. Substituting a reflective gold coloured case for the previous black one has helped.
On another subject has anybody got any experience with troubleshooting a Pinta self steering unit? My 1960’s unit used to work quite well but recently has thrown a wobbly. Other bloggers have kindly sent me manuals but the control head seems to be if a different design to most. Anybody around familiar with this kit?
I did a search of the CF Archives for you, looking for Pinta. I only saw one mention that was a self steering equipment, and it was simply listed as an item on a boat for sale. Nothing else except mentions of THE Pinta (Columbus ship).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 10:18   #63

Boat: Freedom 30

I update my active captain posts from the tides app also
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 13:50   #64

Boat: sabre 28

I came across this at the Boston boat show last weekend & thought it was pretty neat.
It's geared towards folks that use tablets & smart phones. At $350.00 thought it use short money to integrate wind display to a tablet.
SailTimer Wind Instrument™
Old 14-02-2018, 16:13   #65

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

I have a cellular iPad Air 2 that I only use very occasionally for navigation. Even though I’ve been trying several apps, in the end I only use Navionics, just with the base world map. I didn’t buy any maps. I use it indoors for planning long passages.
(Apart from that my cellular iPad is pretty handy for downloading grib forecasts and as a hotspot for other devices.)

Here are some observations:

The display is not quite good enough in full sunlight, you need shade.

Having also wielded a 12.9 incher, I think the 9.8 incher is the most practical format for boating. Possibly the 10.5” pro would be the best compromise. I have yet to see one for real.

A built-in gps will use a lot more juice than a Bluetooth 4 connection. (You have to make sure your gps too supports Bluetooth 4. Allow me to stress the “4;” establishing a Bluetooth 3 or older connection possibly might consume more power than the built-in gps.)

A 12.9” (first and second gen) and possibly the 10.5” could consume more with gps and max brightness than even a 2A charger can provide (which is the charger that comes standard with these devices). But these three models are the only ones that support fast charging so make sure you buy an additional *compatible* USB charger of higher capacity (such as Apple’s 29W USB C charger + an USB C to Lightning adapter cable + an inverter. sigh.) should you settle for one of them.

When buying other USB chargers keep in mind that they are usually rated for total output. A 3A charger with two USB ports would have one at 1A (at 5V) and the other one at 2A (at 5V) for instance, which doesn’t bring you any closer to fast charging. Fast charging for the three mentioned iPads ideally requires 14.5V with 2A which is still rather hard to find and if anybody knows of such a charger that works off 12V then I’d be glad to hear. Ideally I would like to find a smart charger (in accordance with the latest USB protocols) that can charge anything from a Macbook to an MP3 player, off 12V.

And if you can wait some more months, Apple just might release new models with wireless charging which might potentially be much better in the marine environment.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 17:36   #66

This is a very useful thread with great ideas and suggestions.
I’ve utilized iPads and Iphone’s with great results from several Navigation / charting systems for many years. Love them for planning and especially for learning a new marina or anchorage with close zooming ability. But usually only tinker with on a voyage when on auto pilot.
Just before leaving NZ I had a “Waterproof” dual 24/12v USB professionally installed on the steering pedestal alongside several light switches (24V) for Ipad / iPhone charging. It seemed to work and I was pleased with the convenience.
There was no need to use it during the voyage to Tahiti but while at the dock there, tried it again.
Before long smoke was seen coming from it and it was hastily removed, the charred remnants disposed of. (Other light switches normal operation) Fortunately there were several more charging points below connected to our 240v system.
This was a stark reminder of how a dreaded fire at sea could easily start so I was particularly interested in the recommendation from (?) with the Scanstrut auxiliary outlet. Their equipment looks substantially more water proof than my junker.
Taking care of charging cables shouldn’t be overlooked either. A frayed lightning cable can render your prized possession unless in a very short time.
A few coats of nail varnish or similar, on the critical areas can reinforce them.
Dont assume your folding solar charger will work directly on your iPhone/Ipad Apple are very finicky with current!
F
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 17:49   #67

Boat: Herreshoff 12 1/2
Send a message via Skype™ to keelhauled

O ps I sailor now has a active captain setting too .[/QUOTE]

I can’t seem to find that on the app - can you enlighten me?

Cheers,
Greg
keelhauled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 17:53   #68

Boat: Herreshoff 12 1/2
Send a message via Skype™ to keelhauled

Thanks, Woody - I can’t seem to figure out to connect AC to iSailor - any help there?

Cheers,
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyapex View Post
I use the pro 12.9 in the cockpit
In the early days I tried buying 2 “waterproof” cases for it . Both arrived and neither could have been water proof although one was slightly better but bulkier . I now have a nice iPad holder . At the minute I genuinely use a ziplock bag . Touch screen works through it perfectly and if you want to be really inventive you can poke a hole at the charging end and put the cable through and seal it . You’ll get a 100% waterproof case for nothing .
My pro is cellular so I have gps .
It’s accurate .
But I also have a bad elf if I needed back up but I’ve never used it .
I have navionics and really like the auto route function but I only draft 3.5 ft on my 58ft oa sail boat but I set the depth ( within reason to around 8 ft ) if it’s going to take me a route to avoid 7 ft I obviously have to re think that .

I also use iSailor most of the time a love it . I see the extra little subscriptions as a investment . Ais ( needs internet )
And the other bits .

Sun is never an issue !
Battery power is more of an issue but make sure it’s plugged in and you’ll not use the 1% per minute but make sure the input is more then 2 amp or it will still go down and probably turn off just at the wrong moment .
ISailor now has live weather !
But I use 4 d weather too .

You can even seperate the screen and watch films and have iSailor on at the same time while at ocean .
Treat yourself !
We used a garmin with a 4” screen for years and the iPad Pro looks like a 4K nav system but better .
I know I know I know the real sailor will poo poo the iPad idea . But there’s no way the charts on iPad are not as good as the iPad . Get with the 21st century ! . I’m sure when we stopped using lead lines and sextants there was the same uproar . Any questions on iPad just ask .
O ps I sailor now has a active captain setting too .
keelhauled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 18:25   #69

Sorry just looked . It goes by another name . Not active captain . But it’s 9.99 per year and it’s in settings , subscription, sailing guide .
Two big two smalls delailed battery / usb run down is perfect too .
I’ve a mavic pro with usb that fits the battery . This works fantastic for keeping the battery charged .
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 18:40   #70

Boat: Alberg 35

I don't have your type of iPad; I use an IPad mini without cellular on a 35' sailboat on the Chesapeake, mostly near Baltimore. I use iSailor as my primary navigation program. I also use OpenCPN on a Mac Pro and am building a Pi 3 system to use OpenCPN

1. Is the internal GPS of some of the cellular chip iPads suffcient or adequate for offshore use and coastal use without having a cell phone contract? I am aware that not all iPads have the internal GPS (only those with a cellular chip do, according to Apple). I would not register the cellular SIM card (I don't want to use the iPad with a cellular data plan) so does that make a difference? My understanding is that all that matters is that the iPad have the cellular GPS chip, and that one does not need to be on a cellular system (or contract) to use the GPS functions in apps while offshore. Is that correct?

I believe the GPS does not need a SIM card to function. I use a Garmin GLO via bluetooth and have had great service with it. Locks on fast and lasts about 10 hours.

2. Would it be better (instead of buying a iPad with internal GPS chip) to use a GPS dongle or Bluetooth GPS device (Garmin makes one called Garmin GLO that can provide GPS Bluetooth signals to more than one mobile device on a boat)? Is there enough difference in accuracy to warrant using the external GPS device (such as the Garmin) rather than depending upon the internal GPS? I find the Garmin GLO device appealing because it can provide data to more than one device on the boat. It costs about $100, which I find reasonable for what it does. I am aware there are cheaper GPS dongles, but they are not Bluetooth.

As indicated above, love my GLO. However the iPad-GLO can lose its connection if the iPad goes to sleep.

3. Garmin has recently made some changes (buying other companies, discontinuing some charts, the BlueCharts as I recall). Does Garmin still provide a good solution for a navigation app on the iPad, or is it now obsolete and better to go with another vendor?

No opinion

4. Has anyone used the iPad Pro 12.9" model on a sailboat, at a chart table? In the cockpit or under a dodger on a pedestal mount or on a bulkhead mount? Which mounts? Which protective cover or waterproof sleeve did you use, if any?
Any problems reading the iPad navigation charts or app in daylight conditions in the cockpit?

I use my iPad mini and my iPhone 5 in the cockpit and at the chart table. The only problem is keeping them charged. The GLO stays on the chart table in the cabin; it connects from there just fine.

5. I would like to use Active Captain too. Is there a problem using it with iPads?

I believe you would have to use a Garmin program for this.

6. I would eventually like to learn to use OpenCPN. But at this point I understand that requires either a windows laptop or android mobile tablet or phone. I can put that off for now.

OpenCPN works on Windows, Linux, Mac (macOS HighSierra). It's possible to set up a VPN system with the iPad and Mac to use OpenCPN on the iPad but it's not a stable setup in my opinion, better to just use a program on the iPad. Usually Navionics, iNavx, iSailor are the top recommendations.

7. IF you use an iPad Pro 12.9" on your boat:
Have you used the 12.9 in the cockpit?
Have you used it in a waterproof case of some type? Which?
Have you mounted it to the deck, bulkhead of cockpit, or pedestal? If so, how?

I don't mount mine.

8. If you use an iPad 9.7 or 10.5 in the cockpit:
Have you used it in a waterproof case of some type? Which?
Have you mounted it to the deck, bulkhead of cockpit, or pedestal? If so, how?

I don't have a case for the iPad; I do for the phone (waterproof). The biggest problem with the iPad is that if it lays in the sun, it overheats.

9. Have you used different navigation apps and if so, which one have you found the best and why?
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 18:45   #71
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We’re back to as simple as possible: just one multi function B&G display + autopilot panel in the cockpit (no plotter, no compass, no iPad). For handsteering the single display has several modes that provide all that is needed.

In the pilothouse (or under dodger) is where the iPad is. Use one without GPS to extend battery life. I stream all instrument data from my Vesper XB-8000 AIS and use iSailor. Works 100% and having AIS on the iPad is great.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 03:25   #72

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

following...

thank you Steadman!
Old 15-02-2018, 05:44   #73
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari View Post
This is a very useful thread with great ideas and suggestions.
I’ve utilized iPads and Iphone’s with great results from several Navigation / charting systems for many years. Love them for planning and especially for learning a new marina or anchorage with close zooming ability. But usually only tinker with on a voyage when on auto pilot.
Just before leaving NZ I had a “Waterproof” dual 24/12v USB professionally installed on the steering pedestal alongside several light switches (24V) for Ipad / iPhone charging. It seemed to work and I was pleased with the convenience.
There was no need to use it during the voyage to Tahiti but while at the dock there, tried it again.
Before long smoke was seen coming from it and it was hastily removed, the charred remnants disposed of. (Other light switches normal operation) Fortunately there were several more charging points below connected to our 240v system.
This was a stark reminder of how a dreaded fire at sea could easily start so I was particularly interested in the recommendation from (?) with the Scanstrut auxiliary outlet. Their equipment looks substantially more water proof than my junker.
Taking care of charging cables shouldn’t be overlooked either. A frayed lightning cable can render your prized possession unless in a very short time.
A few coats of nail varnish or similar, on the critical areas can reinforce them.
Dont assume your folding solar charger will work directly on your iPhone/Ipad Apple are very finicky with current!
F
Good post content and warning about the chargers!

Your comments reminded me of the Swan 65 that had a fire aboard (totaled the boat) while at a marina in the Caribbean, last year. The fire started in the Vberth, and as I recall the speculation was a charging cell phone on the bunk may have caused it.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 06:13   #74

Boat: Nauticat 32

> 1. Is the internal GPS of some of the cellular chip iPads suffcient or adequate for offshore use and coastal use without having a cell phone contract? I am aware that not all iPads have the internal GPS (only those with a cellular chip do, according to Apple). I would not register the cellular SIM card (I don't want to use the iPad with a cellular data plan) so does that make a difference? My understanding is that all that matters is that the iPad have the cellular GPS chip, and that one does not need to be on a cellular system (or contract) to use the GPS functions in apps while offshore. Is that correct?

I didn't bother to find out the technical details but made a practical test . I used two iPads in parallel in a car. One had a valid SIM and the other had an inactive SIM. I did not notice any meaningful differences in performance. Both drew an accurate enough track of the car.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 08:33   #75

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I'm late to this thread, so hopefully the below is not entirely redundant.

I have an iPad Mini in a LifeProof waterproof case with Garmin Bluecharts and iSailor installed. I do have a contract, but the iPad was on sale and I only paid $50 for it, so I don't mind the contract.

I took the iPad down the east coast (US) and to the Bahamas, and I used it constantly. iPad was my only source of Explorer charts in the Bahamas, so you might say I used it as my primary nav tool there. Active Captain on the iPad is also a big plus.

I invested in two Anker external batteries because my inverter died in North Florida, and I did not want to replace it just then. With the external bats, I was fine with four days of daily ten hour or more usage of the iPad. I will get an inverter before next departure across the Gulf Stream, but I will still take the external bats, because of convenience - I can keep the iPad at the helm while I'm charging it (though not in the rain or with spraying flying).

I had no technical or other problems with the iPad during the trip. Someone mentioned updates starting automatically and shutting down the iPad - I think that's a non-Apple issue; anyway, it never happened to me.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, Ipad