Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 07:24   #16

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Ipad or Galaxy?

Why are you confining yourself to an Ipad or a Galaxy? I have a nice South Korean sourced tablet (but it's not a Galaxy) with a Chinese processor, and it works beautifully (well - in reality I cobbled it together from so-called SoC boards, which were of Korean and Chinese manufacture, so it's a bit homemade. But really, that part of the world is where the Apples are built/made anyway.

I've found mine to be extremely reliable, and have purchased two of them since they're so cheap. I could have had fifteen of them for the price of an Apple. Talk about backup! If you're worried about reliability, just have two of them in the cockpit. Or three. One in the galley, another hanging next to the berth. Lightening? No prob. Just dig another out of the drawer. Those $50 deals? You can actually get those, for real with a Chinese made tablet.

I have mine set up for HF weather faxes, (works great with external shortwave equip) and am aiming to mod the thing to put the shortwave receiver right inside the tablet!)
Old 09-10-2015, 07:26   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Why are you confining yourself to an Ipad or a Galaxy? I have a nice South Korean sourced tablet (but it's not a Galaxy) with a Chinese processor, and it works beautifully (well - in reality I cobbled it together from so-called SoC boards, which were of Korean and Chinese manufacture, so it's a bit homemade. But really, that part of the world is where the Apples are built/made anyway.

I've found mine to be extremely reliable, and have purchased two of them since they're so cheap. I could have had fifteen of them for the price of an Apple. Talk about backup! If you're worried about reliability, just have two of them in the cockpit. Or three. One in the galley, another hanging next to the berth. Lightening? No prob. Just dig another out of the drawer. Those $50 deals? You can actually get those, for real with a Chinese made tablet.

I have mine set up for HF weather faxes, (works great with external shortwave equip) and am aiming to mod the thing to put the shortwave receiver right inside the tablet!)

Wow! Can you share the name of the product or seller???

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:33   #18

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Wow! Can you share the name of the product or seller???

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
Mine was cobbled together with Odroid SoC boards (US distributor of hardkernel.com) at $35 US per each. The display is a little more, but I've set it up so that I can use one or two displays and swap them onto the one I'm using. The processor is AMLogic, and I guess I don't know for sure whether they're sourcing Chinese or American made parts. I think they're fabless, so they get it wherever they can. Same price, either way.

But, for similar product that you don't need to put together yourself, you can search "cheap tablet" on Amazon or Ebay.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:00   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is supposed to be an Ipad Pro coming soon, it will I believe be a much larger Ipad.
My Vesper will display on an Ipad and My B&G plotter / Radar will display and be controlled from an Ipad as well, but neither will work with anything else I don't think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:04   #20

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Ipad or Galaxy? and hot chicks

Quote:
They don't come from CF, they come from your own search engine. Mine usually show things like Liverpool University correspondence courses (I am doing an online masters degree), sailing and diving chandlers (that could be from my hobbies) and hot chicks in Kuwait
Really? There are hot chicks in Kuwait? How would you know under the burkas?

Back to the question - I also was not an Apple fan but purchased a used iPad2 with cellular to get the internal GPS to match to the Vesper AIS. And can insert a local SIM card for the Bahamas (I think) And I also find myself using it more than expected. It will become my primary chartploter (last 3 trips were with navionics on my Galaxy S5 - worked great). Now if I can just figure out how to get pictures onto the iPad , I will be all set.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:29   #21

If you have a WiFi only iPad you can purchase a Dual GPS receiver that sends the GPS to your ipad through BlueTooth. I use it and it works really well. It's battery outlasts the ipad.

Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Portable Devices. around $90 usd.
guymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:18   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
I was thinking of buying new laptop, but as I already own a couple of them, have thought that it might pay to get an I pad and team it up with my laptop on board with the Nav apps ect.
Regardless of which way you go, I expect you will like the change. Ive now migrated entirely from my laptop to a Samsung 10" tablet. Haven't even turned my laptop on in a year. Only reason I still have it is that there are a couple of rarely used DOS/Windows based utilities that I need it to run. Otherwise, Ive been able to find good apps for everything else I need to do. The tablet is great for travelling...way smaller and lighter than my clunky old laptop.

And BEST OF ALL, I am finally free from dealing with that piece of rubbish OS...MicroTrash Windows. Unfortunatley, my GF still has a Windows machine so I still have to listen to her scream at it and I have to fix it on a regular basis. Either IOS or Android are a BIG improvement.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad