Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 10:33   #1

Boat: 58' roberts ketch
Iridium Go?

Hi:
Does anybody have one of these and can tell me if it works for web browsing? I cannot seem to fathom from all the literature if it will actually work in any real way.

Cheers
Dan
Nautical 60
dglaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 16:39   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Iridium Go?

Dan,
I can't imagine that you haven't found the answers in the recent thread here??? (with it's latest post from 2 weeks ago)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...et-130294.html

But in a nutshell, no....this is NOT a hi-speed/broadband satellite internet connection....
It is a low-speed satellite data communications system...a VERY low-speed connection....approx. 2400 baud, 2.4k baud....(20 times slower than dial-up)

Sorry to say, but hi-speed satellite data connections are still pretty pricey....figure about $4000 - $5000 to start with, plus LOTS of monthly costs for data....
There are many threads here discussing these things....yes, costs have come down about 10% - 15% for hardware (but INMARSAT data costs have gone up)....and VSAT systems are getting a little more popular (with costs of $15,000 - $75,000, but data costs much lower than INMARSAT or Iridium...)

I hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 18:10   #3

Boat: 58' roberts ketch

Thanks John
I missed those posts in my search. I already have an iridium phone, so I am familiar with the data speed.

Cheers
Dan
dglaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Dan,
(20 times slower than dial-up)
In some places. If the announced rate on my dial up is between 36 and 42 Kbps, mainly 36. The download rate is between 7 and 12 Kbps mainly 10. So at the best 5 time slower than dial-up.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 21:44   #5

Boat: Aries 32

I installed the Iridium Go on my 32' sailboat her in Hawaii on November 1,2014 . . . I purchased the unit through PredictWind as I am planning a Pacific crossing starting in April . . . well, we have had NOTHING but difficulties with the unit . . . primarily software problems . . . when we first tried the unit, it work OK with the external antenna, but without the external antenna, the unit barely gets a signal here in Hawaii . . . then when I tried to send a 300k file to the unit to see if it would filter a larger than 50k file . . . the software jammed and would not complete receiving email of any size . . . this took two weeks to fix by over 18 different phone calls to SatPhone Store, the service provider, PredictWind and Iridium . . . all claimed it was the other guys problem! Finally after multiple call to Iridium they basically erased all email in my system and it would work again! Then Iridium issued an upgrade to the software for the iPhone & IPad . . . and now web does not work (it only barely worked before less than 20 website were available) . . . small Facebook posts don't work . . . the simple connection button don't work . . . this was over two weeks ago and when I call or email them . . . "yes, we are aware of the problem and are working on it!" . . . well, at $125 per month for the "service" . . . I'm not very happy . . . PredictWind has be somewhat helpful . . . but I thing they were sold "vaporware" by Iridium . . . also, the Iridium software only works on smartphones or tablets, while the PredictWind software only works on laptops . . . who thought that one up? I would love to hear from other owners of the Iridium GO system and I will be happy to answer any questions anyone has . . . but so far I AM NOT IMPRESSED!
petert96753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 23:04   #6

Peter,
1) Sorry to hear of your troubles...and I hope you have enough time before your passage / voyage to equip your boat with a working HF-DSC-SSB system....

(I may be wrong, but reading between the lines of what you wrote Peter, I suspect that a salesman, or website hype, sold you on some things/services that are not realistic....)

2) And, an FYI to everyone...
All 2-way satellite communications systems need an antenna OUTSIDE (i.e. and "external antenna").....this is unlike our one-way satellite navigation systems (GPS) many of which will work fine below decks....

Yes, some will find occasional signals from Iridium below decks, but these are weak and unreliable at best....
Anyone telling you otherwise is trying to SELL you on a product / service, and is NOT telling you the truth!!!

3) As for "web access", at 2.4k baud, the Iridium Go (and Iridium handheld sat phones) are NOT designed for this, and should NOT be marketed as such....
Iridium GO is a LOW-SPEED data sat comm terminal, designed for "text" and "SMS" messages, and e-mails....although some special low-bandwidth web-based data connectivity might be technically possible, it is not designed for this (nor are most web-based data systems designed for such low-speed connectivity)....

4) Finally, I'm amazed at the vast number of folks looking for e-mail connectivity while at sea on passage....
Am I the only one that still thinks being "disconnected" when at sea is a GOOD thing???

I mean, unless you need to be reachable 34/7 for business reasons, why does anyone need e-mail at sea???

(Not really expecting answers here....just musing...)

Fair winds to all...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 21-12-2014, 23:11   #7

Yes, I have SSB on board, but now I wish I had spent the $1500 on a good pastor modem . . . I do have an external antenna and it does help . . . really was interested in the Iridium Go system to do emails (and small photos 300x300 pixels), and posts to my sailingkealoha.com blog . . . the system barely works for this as for weather . . . I'm still not sure . . . if Iridium can get their act together, maybe it will be OK . . . but right now I feel I have wasted almost $1500!
Old 21-12-2014, 23:28   #8

Peter,
I understand your frustration....I wish I had a cheap e-mail solution for you...but I don't...sorry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by petert96753 View Post
Yes, I have SSB on board, but now I wish I had spent the $1500 on a good pastor modem . . .
I do have an external antenna and it does help . . . really was interested in the Iridium Go system to do emails (and small photos 300x300 pixels), and posts to my sailingkealoha.com blog . . .

As for weather, whether or not they get their act together, I recommend that you have a look at some threads and see that you can get all the weather info/forecasts you need via HF radio...for FREE....
Quote:
the system barely works for this as for weather . . I'm still not sure . . . if Iridium can get their act together, maybe it will be OK . . . but right now I feel I have wasted almost $1500!
Have a look here...

Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tc-133496.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-114734.html

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 22-12-2014, 08:12   #9

Quote:
I AM NOT IMPRESSED!
Some owners of the Go get it working within the Go limitation, so do not give up. Too many emails waiting to down load will even jam a dial up. You should be able to clear them up using the web

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
I went with GRIB explorer pro until iridium pull their fingers out.
This downloads Gribs directly within the app with a GO setting. Works perfectly.
Please visit my blog:
Sailing-Interlude | Sailing the Med… and beyond
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Just to let you know Iridium have released an updated Mail and Web app.
Attachments now work.

Please visit my blog:
Sailing-Interlude | Sailing the Med… and beyond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-Vik Cat View Post
I finally have my Iridium installed on Can-Vik Cat cw mast antenna, we are ready to depart Les Sables d'Olonne midday today. So far everything has worked perfect in the harbour. I suspect the same will be the case when we hit the ocean later today
Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-12-2014, 09:30   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
. . .
4) Finally, I'm amazed at the vast number of folks looking for e-mail connectivity while at sea on passage....
Am I the only one that still thinks being "disconnected" when at sea is a GOOD thing???

I mean, unless you need to be reachable 34/7 for business reasons, why does anyone need e-mail at sea???

(Not really expecting answers here....just musing...) . . .
Well, for those of us who, like me, are not retired, it can be quite essential to be reachable. Of course that begs the question of whether any kind of email scheme using HF radio or consumer sat gear is adequate if you really need to be in touch to manage a business etc. To do that right, you really need BGAN etc. . . .

But many others just like to be in touch with their friends and families. They want to let them know that they're ok and having a great time (for example); they want to know if anything is happening back home. They don't want to wonder whether anything bad has happened; they want to hear whether Junior passed his bar exam, etc., etc.

I get all of that. And it's not necessarily just for offshore -- there are coastal spots with no mobile phone coverage, even in the first world.

For that, I think the Iridium "Go" is pretty designed. Unlike the DeLorme and Yellowbrick (superior solutions for pure plain text message, IMHO), you can get weather in various forms.

I think the usual mistake is just assuming that it is totally plug 'n' play, like an appliance. And as you said, the antenna belowdecks is probably the typical fatal mistake.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 11:36   #11

The recent update for the Iridium Mail & Web has many problems . . . the web does not work (it only barely worked before less than 20 website were available) . . . small Facebook photo (300x300 pixels) posts don't work . . . the simple connection button don't work . . . I never intended to use the Iridium Go for more than simple emails, small posts to my Sailblogs site and weather reports from PredictWind . . . but even these simple tasks have proven VERY unreliable with the Iridium Go system. I am an advanced computer user ( I have been a website developer and expert Photoshop user for many years) . . . and frankly, this is the worse case of "vaporware" I have seen in a long time! The service tech at Iridium had not even tested the software when I first described the problems, yet all the dealers continue to sell these units as if they will connect you to the web, allow posts to FaceBook and let you screen out large emails . . . none of these functions work!
Old 22-12-2014, 12:39   #12

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Hhmm sounds like my Delorme Inreach Explorer was a better buy. Although it has less capabilities than the Go, it has worked flawless for me.

It let's me send 160 character text to phones, email addresses and Facebook. Plus allows people to track my progress. The weather on it is not a grib file and takes some interpretation but does work. The best part is it only costs $80/month for unlimited.

Until Go gets their crap together it might be an option for some.

P.S. It worked below decks when I tested it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 12:41   #13

Peter,
Sorry again to read of your troubles....and you undoubtifully have MUCH more experience than I do in regards to IT, web systems, etc...(my expertise is in commercial sat comm for the past 30 years)
But, I think we've hit upon the main problem....
Quote:
. . and frankly, this is the worse case of "vaporware" I have seen in a long time! The service tech at Iridium had not even tested the software when I first described the problems, yet all the dealers continue to sell these units as if they will connect you to the web, allow posts to FaceBook and let you screen out large emails . . . none of these functions work!
Iridium GO, is NOT designed for "web" work, nor is it designed for large data transfers, nor for posting pictures to Facebook, or blogs, etc....
But, rather it is "supposed to" be just a VERY LOW SPEED sat comm interface, that allows simple texts, SMS, and text-based e-mails / small files, from smart phones, etc.....and at 2400 baud (that's 2.4kbaud, or about 15 - 20 times slower than a dial-up telephone modem)...

In my opinion, if dealers are marketing Iridium Go as anything else, they are the main problem, alomg with the vaporware and unknowing Iridium tech support folks....
But, the hardware and sat comm link parts of the system do work....it's just that it seems to be dealers marketing it for the wrong application???

Not sure if I understand all of what you're getting at, but I think this nails it???

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 22-12-2014, 12:50   #14

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

From what a friend says about theirs it is good for pulling GRIB files off the net and that's about it. Granted this could be a must have feature but the marketing info clearly sells it as something else entirely. It's not from what I see/hear a good way to stay in touch in a bidirectional way using tools made for fast Internet connections. When you are out at sea away from cell phones it's probably time to focus on getting there and the weather not updating Facebook or sending tweets, doing business online.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 05:22   #15

Quote:
The service tech at Iridium had not even tested the software when I first described the problems,
yet all the dealers continue to sell these units as if they will connect you to the web, allow posts to FaceBook and let you screen out large emails . . . none of these functions work!
If you believe that you may have been misled then you should seek redress. This can be a lengthy process. I have already spent five years on it, expect to spend another five plus another three if it as to go to a tribunal.
Here we have a Telecommunications Consumer Protections Code. The following Clauses may be relevant:
Failure to provide information to customers that is accurate, relevant, current and timely.
Failure to determine and resolve faults in a compatible manner.
And so on.
I value my sat phone and I expect that the service advertised, a working Email service, will be provided to me.

Tags
iridium