Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2018, 09:48   #16

Boat: Reliance 44
Re: Iridium Go Battery Burst

Thanks for your reply. what I still do not understand is can I use my lap top to send and receive emails by using Iridium and a server?
ottewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 12:31   #17

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottewj View Post
Thanks for your reply. what I still do not understand is can I use my lap top to send and receive emails by using Iridium and a server?
We use a laptop with the Go for email with Airmail and weather with PredictWind Offshore. No experience using a server.
Fluenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 13:24   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

I can help you with this. I am an Iridium, Inmarsat, Globalstar dealer as well as WiFi/cellular/SSB equipment provider, specifically tailored to boaters. We also run our business remotely while cruising on our boat internationally.

As others have suggested, an Iridium Go may work well for you, for email and weather purposes, as well as making calls and texts. But what we really need to understand are the following..

Where you will be travelling and how long or how often?
Is email the only requirement or do you also need web browsing or some other software tool?
How large are the emails and how often are you send/receiving them? What sort of attachments do you expect to be sending/receiving?
Lastly, and still somewhat important, what sort of boat are you on and do you have any budget in mind?

Feel free to reply here or PM me directly. I will help you get directed to the appropriate solution, irrespective of whether it's Iridium or something else. There are myriad choices and the standard "Iridium Go is what everyone has" answer is not always the right one -- but it may be. ;-)

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottewj View Post
Old 30-04-2019, 12:51   #19

Boat: Kristen 52

After learning of burst battery issue, I ordered spare battery.
Upon checking new battery for fit, I discovered my original battery had burst.
I keep unit plugged into power at all times and did not know battery was bad, upon removing from power, battery did not hold charge and died in less than twenty hours.
I recommend others to check their battery.

Cheers
Old 30-04-2019, 13:52   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Contact the manufacturer, presumably Iridium. I recently had a SamDung tablet burst open (they're glued shut) and they sent me a prepaid return mailer, they don't want to hear about any more of their devices bursting into flame. Once it swells--the next step can be fire. They threaten to repair or replace it at no cost, I'm still waiting for action.

Clever folks sent me a fire-retardant return mailer kit...sized for a phone. I called them up and asked which way I was supposed to fold the TABLET to fit in it. The box for the tablet came, with no special fire-retardant packaging at all. Go figure.

But it gets tempting to keep all these things in a cast iron dutch oven: Fireproof.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, iridium