Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2011, 22:42   #1

Boat: Najad 460
Iridium Problems

I have a Motorola 9505 Iridium phone. It is installed in a docking station on my boat and I primarily use it for data, i.e. email and gribs. It will only work to download data when the docking station is powered up, i.e. I have to have the inverter on or shore power. It has just stopped working. The mains adaptor / power supply for the dock appears to have burnt out (part no. SPN4645B). As this is an old model, I am unable to find a new power supply. It appears to be a dual voltage supply so I don't think I can substitute an alternative power supply. I do have a car charger for the phone when it is out of the dock so another alternative I have considered is to buy a data kit so that I can use the phone for data out of its dock. The best price I have found so far is about £150 UK for this which seems a bit much for an obsolete bit of kit.
Questions:-
Anyone got a spare power supply of this model they could sell me or a data kit. I believe the kit for a 9500 would work as well.
Anyone got any other bright idea to make the unit work again?
I am a little reluctant to scrap the unit as I have about £150 worth of credit remaining but as a fall back, I am considering selling the phone without the dock and buying a new Isatphone pro to replace the Iridium. Any comments on this?

Richard Iddon.

sv Robyn, Najad 460

currently in Singapore.
riddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 19:43   #2

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
You can buy a plug-in power supply which has user-selectable voltage - just pick the setting you want and away you go. No price at hand but cheap and I imagine readily available at any electronic shop. Caters for all electronics.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 21:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Would this work?

Amazon has a travel charger 9505A/9555 Iridium Satellite Handheld/Phone-A/C-Travel-Charger ACTC0701/IPK0601 listed. I don't know if it would suit.

If it were me I'd be tempted to plug the car charger into a cigarette lighter outlet on the boat, wiring one in if necessary.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium