Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2022, 02:58   #1
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40
IridiumGo Battery

Been using IridiumGo! for 3 straight years. Always plugged to USP power source, since I use it also as a tracking device. Never cycled.

Today I opened the Battery compartment to replace the SIM card and to my surprise the battery had swollen.

Be aware the the unit does not work without battery. It turns on, but it doesn't connect. I was hoping it did.

I consider this a major flaw in the design of the unit.

For ocean crossing, or extended use, remember to bring a replacement battery with you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9808 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	255583
Old 15-04-2022, 16:31   #2

Re: IridiumGo Battery

Wow
Very good tip thank you!
JoeM128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 02:24   #3

Boat: Lightwave 45

I find these units extremely rudimentary and almost archaic.
It is amazing what we boaties have to put up with. These things are slow. Extra effing slow. The app is functional, but only just. And the data plans are extortionist.
They do work, and provide simple comms and weather when far from land. I am grateful for that. But performance is nothing like what we would get if they were a mass-market item and network.
Just look at what Elon Musk has created in a very short time!
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 04:28   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

From what’s going on in Ukraine with Elon risking a Satellite his system seems a step up. Can’t say I understand.
You are fortunate you found that battery when you did.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 13:18   #5

Sorry missing the point. My IG has provided very practical and reliable basic comms while blue water cruising. I can’t say the same for my say phone which cost much much much more. Further I have no idea what Elon has to do with any of this.
Simple, easy to use, affordable rock solid systems are a necessary and rare commodity in the sailing world. IG is one of them.
That said I will buy the spare battery as suggested.
JoeM128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 15:13   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Yup i must agree Elon has a wicked plan to change communications so stay tuned.
Elon knows he’s risking two satellites to serve as military satellite for Ukraine. Kinda great their tech team could not have done their drone attacks on Russia’ advance of Kiev without him.
Basically anyone with a EBox gets internet from a very advanced satellite which can communicate as fast as fibre. It will run on any voltage AC or DC. It’s intent is to bring open communications at very low costs.
The first production of Elon’s magic boxes have been delivered to Ukraine. When politicians handed out paper towels to Porto Rico Musk put millions of dollars of his solar panels in the country to run the hospitals. Elon doing sudden things to advance society may not be appreciated at first.
When you can buy this box many trade routes and very remote parts of the world will have access to a VoIP like phone but better and high speed internet for less than your home service
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 00:05   #7

Boat: Island Packet 29

Swollen lithium batteries is common in the RC toy world. Never seen this really outside that. But its lithium, so Im not really surprised to see it.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, iridium