Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2024, 13:56   #16

Re: Is it possible to reach customer service at B&G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Are you kidding me?! Look at that screw head, it’s even sticking out beyond the plotter flange! Look at the whole install, the holes are not centered either, look at all the debris and dirt in there

I’m not taking the facia off my Vulcan, why would I? Why don’t you get screws that fit?
Do you always come across this condescending and unhelpful or are you just having a bad couple of days?
MaheDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 14:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G View Post
Two of your photos show the fascia is bowed out in the middle.

Does it have a curved screen?

Or is it being held out in the middle because there isn't enough room behind it and the screws have pulled the edges down?
Thanks for the ideas. The screen is flat glass. I did try just putting the screws in finger tight to see if I was somehow pulling something back but had the same results. I am going to fill the holes and try putting in some tiny finishing screws which will hopefully hold it in and be small enough. It would be nice to see an installation with the correct screw size installed since B&G obviously put either the wrong screws or the wrong facia in the box.
Old 01-01-2024, 14:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_FlyingTigress View Post
I agree you can fix your face plate, but actually answering the more important question here: NO , it super difficult to get ahold of B&G/Navico/Simrad support. Have spent HOURS on phone queue trying to get in. Filed support tickets are typically ignored other than the auto response - don't bother. Navico has gutted their support department. I had to go through a dealer to get support and they had to wait 2 hrs on their line and then it wasn't followed up on. There seems to be ONE guy left in the department and he, as another poster has offered, is overwhelmed.
Thanks, that's good to know. I actually got a very good deal on the unit so can probably sell it on eBay for about what I paid for it and replace it with a Furuno since I know they are actually quite helpful.
Old 01-01-2024, 14:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G View Post
Maybe the two lugs shown by red arrows should clip under the rim - and should not be on top of it?
Unfortunately the picture doesn't do a good job of showing how the clips work. What you see are basically hooks in the facia that go into slots in the face of the unit. I can push the two hooks you see into the slots where they should go, but it just pops back out again when I have the screws installed. Without the screws they go in just as they should.
Old 01-01-2024, 15:10   #20

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheDriver View Post
Thanks, that's good to know. I actually got a very good deal on the unit so can probably sell it on eBay for about what I paid for it and replace it with a Furuno since I know they are actually quite helpful.
You will be money, frustration and safety ahead if you convert to other than B&G
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 16:20   #21

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I ordered a B&G H60 which arrived DOA. I have filled in their online support ticket form twice and sent numerous follow-up emails to B&G over the past 10 weeks. The online support form generates an automated email response but other than that I have had no response whatsoever.

I tried Simrad support as I have a cross branded product, the HS40. Their tech support was responsive but ultimately unhelpful. Although they said my problem should be a straightforward warranty return they were unable to process it as my unit is the B&G branded version. They said B&G would respond. Well ten weeks and no response at all has me thinking I'll just have to dispose of the B&G and order a Simrad unit.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 16:44   #22

1. The screen/mounting and bezel should be flat. Either the bulkhead is curved or the cutout is too small. I cannot fathom how you were able to bend the screen/mounting!
  2. Correctly sized screws should be flush and not protrude beyond the screen mounting. I prefer flathead countersink screws. See attached photos, admittedly not flush mounted but nonetheless it should appear no different.
I personally have not had a problem dealing with Navico support in either Australia/New Zealand or the UK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240102_105156_999.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	284956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240102_105221_055.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	284957  

stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 17:04   #23

Boat: Morgan 382

I hate to say it, but it looks like you damaged it. Maybe it is salvageable to make work and look good.

It looks like the screws in stevead's picture are smaller than yours, and fit within the recess. It looks like not only did you use the wrong screws, but you forced them, damaging the hole on the Vulcan. You can probably clean up the hole with a toothpick to get the broken bits out, and then find a smaller screw.
Old 01-01-2024, 17:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
  1. The screen/mounting and bezel should be flat. Either the bulkhead is curved or the cutout is too small. I cannot fathom how you were able to bend the screen/mounting!
  2. Correctly sized screws should be flush and not protrude beyond the screen mounting. I prefer flathead countersink screws. See attached photos, admittedly not flush mounted but nonetheless it should appear no different.
I personally have not had a problem dealing with Navico support in either Australia/New Zealand or the UK.
Thank you, the pictures are very helpful and I definitely need to get much smaller screws. Also good to know about the UK and Australia support. It costs me the same to call there from the Bahamas as the U.S. so I can give that a try.
Old 03-01-2024, 19:29   #25

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
B&G technical support has almost totally evaporated. I think there is ONE guy in Oklahoma who answers the phone. He’s competent and helpful, but totally overwhelmed. A few months ago I spent 18 hours over three days on hold to get an issued sorted out.
Another brand taken over by Brunswick. Brunswick makes Garmin support look good!
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 20:04   #26

Your last photo ( https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...4&d=1704059549 ) shows everything that needs showing. That screw is TOTALLY wrong. The screw head needs to fit down INSIDE the counterbored hole. This is not a B&G problem, this is an installation (installer) problem.

I have not installed a Vulcan, but all of the several generations of Zeus plotters I have installed had the same attachment system as your plotter, and you just do NOT have it right.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 05:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Your last photo ( https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...4&d=1704059549 ) shows everything that needs showing. That screw is TOTALLY wrong. The screw head needs to fit down INSIDE the counterbored hole. This is not a B&G problem, this is an installation (installer) problem.

I have not installed a Vulcan, but all of the several generations of Zeus plotters I have installed had the same attachment system as your plotter, and you just do NOT have it right.
Since B&G provided the screws, it would be reasonable to assume they provided the correct ones wouldn't it? I mean if Ikea put the wrong hardware in a furniture kit would it be all the poor guy trying to put it together's fault when he made the perfectly rational assumption that the hardware provided was the right hardware for that item?

Obviously they did not put the right screws in. And the fact that they don't appear to have any customer service means they're now both unable to spend the 2 minutes it would have taken to let a customer know what the problem is and more importantly they won't know to check the product their shipping to make sure they're not putting the wrong screw pack in all their boxes. Why anyone would think that's a good business model and a company they would want to work with is beyond me.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:24   #28

Boat: Najad 490 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheDriver View Post
Since B&G provided the screws, it would be reasonable to assume they provided the correct ones wouldn't it? I mean if Ikea put the wrong hardware in a furniture kit would it be all the poor guy trying to put it together's fault when he made the perfectly rational assumption that the hardware provided was the right hardware for that item?

Obviously they did not put the right screws in. And the fact that they don't appear to have any customer service means they're now both unable to spend the 2 minutes it would have taken to let a customer know what the problem is and more importantly they won't know to check the product their shipping to make sure they're not putting the wrong screw pack in all their boxes. Why anyone would think that's a good business model and a company they would want to work with is beyond me.
I think you accidentally used the wrong screws?

B&G supplies 2 different set of screws normally dependent on the package you bought.

One set for the plotter flush mount (4x #4 x 3/4" PN HD SS) - and one set for the U Bracket mount (4x #10 x 3/4" PN HD SS)

#4 is about 3mm in metric
#10 is about 5mm in metric
kaz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:51   #29

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Look, B&G USA service is extremely difficult to get a hold of. There are only two people answering phones and providing support. Both work from home. I waited many hours and have heard of people waiting longer. The guy assured me they were training more phone support staff. So maybe it will get better in the future.
When I did get a hold of them, they were very helpful and even replaced a unit that was slightly out of warranty. The actual service was professional and helpful.

I've never installed a Vulcan, but I have installed 2 Zeus3 7" and one Zeus3 12", 3 Triton 2, on AP Controller, Triton Edge, V90s VHF, DD15 AP, and likely more on our boat. So a lot of B&G stuff.

I'm not sure what screws your trying to use, but your install looks sloppy. The holes don't look straight. You can do better.

Do you expect them to send you new screws? The best time to call is 7:00AM GMT-5.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:00   #30

Boat: 2023 Vision 444 - 44'4"

Where in The Bahamas are you, I may be able to help?

A couple of other comments:

You need smaller screws as a lot of others have said. I likely have some. With the right screws, it goes very easily and simply. You will likely need to fill those fascia holes and re-drill for the smaller screws.

When calling into Navico support, choose one of the other brands, they seem to have a smaller queue and the person that answers can still help with things that are not overly brand specific.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service