Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2023, 06:52   #1

Is it possible to reach customer service at B&G?

I bought a new B&G chart plotter and have a minor issue with it (I can't get the facia to securely snap in when it is flush mounted because the mounting screws stick out too much). I tried calling B&G customer service, both times I moved two placed in the waiting queue in 45 minutes then they hung up on me (paying international rates from the Bahamas). I've tried submitting a trouble ticket, which I received an automated reply from with a ticket number, but in more than 2 weeks and multiple follow-up emails since I've gotten crickets from them. Does B&G have any customer service at all, or are you entirely on your own when once you've given them your money? Has anyone successfully spoken to a human there and who is willing to share their tricks to making it happen? I think I'm still within my return window, I will probably just return it if I can't reach them in the next few days of the new year.
MaheDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 08:04   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Is it possible to reach customer service at B&G?

It is a problem to be fixed by the installer.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 08:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

I understand you are asking specifically about B&G customer service, but maybe you could get help here with the mounting challenge and save yourself the return/replacement hassles.

If you want to try that approach, here are my initial thoughts:
Is the mounting arrangement such that the plotter gets inserted into a rectangular panel cutout, then there are four corner screws to hold the plotter in place, then the facia snaps over the unit covering the mounting screws?
If so, will the facia snap into place with the screws in position before you put the plotter into the cutout? If so, then maybe the unit and screws are OK, but there is an issue with the installation.
Are the screws screwed in as far as they will go? Are there washers included that should not be, thereby increasing the final height of the screw heads?
Is the frame of the unit getting a little distorted when screwed in tightly?
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 08:44   #4

Are the screws the correct ones? A photo of the problem might help.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 09:55   #5

Actually, the original question of the OP has merits:
Has anybody in this Forum been able to talk to a human at B&G Customer Service? If so, how did it happen?
I am curious as well.

As for the specific issue of the post, I agree it may be easier to find help here in the forum rather than from B&G
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 11:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It is a problem to be fixed by the installer.
I am the installer and I'm trying to fix it!
Old 31-12-2023, 11:15   #7

B&G technical support has almost totally evaporated. I think there is ONE guy in Oklahoma who answers the phone. He’s competent and helpful, but totally overwhelmed. A few months ago I spent 18 hours over three days on hold to get an issued sorted out.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 11:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
I understand you are asking specifically about B&G customer service, but maybe you could get help here with the mounting challenge and save yourself the return/replacement hassles.

If you want to try that approach, here are my initial thoughts:
Is the mounting arrangement such that the plotter gets inserted into a rectangular panel cutout, then there are four corner screws to hold the plotter in place, then the facia snaps over the unit covering the mounting screws?
If so, will the facia snap into place with the screws in position before you put the plotter into the cutout? If so, then maybe the unit and screws are OK, but there is an issue with the installation.
Are the screws screwed in as far as they will go? Are there washers included that should not be, thereby increasing the final height of the screw heads?
Is the frame of the unit getting a little distorted when screwed in tightly?
All the obvious things have been looked at. It is an installation with 4 corner screws. It does snap in fine without the screws. There are no washers. I used the screws they provided, and then found the smallest, flattest head, most recessed screws I could find and they still prevent it from snapping in. The Garmin it replaced had a similar system but the facia on it had a good 1/4" clearance for the screw heads and this one has none. I used to run aircraft maintenace programs so I know my way around a wrench, but this is just perplexing me.

The real worry I have is if I ever need to reach B&G for a more substantial problem. The rest of my gear is Furuno and they pick up on the first ring and pass you to a technician who knows what they're talking about. This B&G "customer service" experience not only fails to approach that but it's several more layers of bad. It is telling that no one so far has apparently been able to reach a person there, good for anyone contemplating a switch to B&G to know.
Old 31-12-2023, 12:50   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheDriver View Post
I am the installer and I'm trying to fix it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheDriver View Post
All the obvious things have been looked at. It is an installation with 4 corner screws. It does snap in fine without the screws. There are no washers. I used the screws they provided, and then found the smallest, flattest head, most recessed screws I could find and they still prevent it from snapping in. The Garmin it replaced had a similar system but the facia on it had a good 1/4" clearance for the screw heads and this one has none. I used to run aircraft maintenace programs so I know my way around a wrench, but this is just perplexing me.

The real worry I have is if I ever need to reach B&G for a more substantial problem. The rest of my gear is Furuno and they pick up on the first ring and pass you to a technician who knows what they're talking about. This B&G "customer service" experience not only fails to approach that but it's several more layers of bad. It is telling that no one so far has apparently been able to reach a person there, good for anyone contemplating a switch to B&G to know.
I’m afraid nothing I will write will be to your liking… I installed it too and had no trouble. You probably have the screw holes not drilled in the center and/or straight or the face you mount it on isn’t flat.

Start with one corner that shows the holes perfectly lined up. Does the bezel fit over that? Then you simply need to get the other screws exactly like that.

Maybe ask someone to help you? Or pay for professional installation.

Old 31-12-2023, 13:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I’m afraid nothing I will write will be to your liking… I installed it too and had no trouble. You probably have the screw holes not drilled in the center and/or straight or the face you mount it on isn’t flat.

Start with one corner that shows the holes perfectly lined up. Does the bezel fit over that? Then you simply need to get the other screws exactly like that.

Maybe ask someone to help you? Or pay for professional installation.
If you've successfully installed a Vulcan I'd love to see the facia removed photos to see how it differs from mine. I've uploaded photos, as you can see the holes are all dead true but it still bows out. I feel like I must need to get even smaller screws, but the ones in there now are half the size of what B&G included in the box so we're getting to almost finishing screw size now if I go smaller. Is that what's needed?

As an aside, there aren't any "professionals" where I'm at in the Bahamas, but I had hoped that B&G would be "professional" enough to at least have the courtesy to answer the phone or respond to an email. That said, this isn't rocket science, one would expect B&G to make it easy enough to drill 4 holes and screw in the 4 screws provided that someone who installed glass cockpits and hung jet engines for a living would be "professional" enough to pull it off. Certainly the Garmin it replaced was easy enough for a mere aircraft mechanic level aptitude guy to install it without issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231231_162556.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	284919   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231231_162612.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	284920  

Name:	20231231_162642.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	284921   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231231_162931.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	284922  

Name:	20231231_163000.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	284923   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231231_162430.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	284924  

Old 31-12-2023, 15:44   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Mahe, Sorry to hear about your problem. Sooooo aggravating. I’m no help here but thanks for letting us know about B&G support.
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 19:58   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Are you kidding me?! Look at that screw head, it’s even sticking out beyond the plotter flange! Look at the whole install, the holes are not centered either, look at all the debris and dirt in there

I’m not taking the facia off my Vulcan, why would I? Why don’t you get screws that fit?

Old 01-01-2024, 00:37   #13

Two of your photos show the fascia is bowed out in the middle.

Does it have a curved screen?

Or is it being held out in the middle because there isn't enough room behind it and the screws have pulled the edges down?
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:20   #14

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

I agree you can fix your face plate, but actually answering the more important question here: NO , it super difficult to get ahold of B&G/Navico/Simrad support. Have spent HOURS on phone queue trying to get in. Filed support tickets are typically ignored other than the auto response - don't bother. Navico has gutted their support department. I had to go through a dealer to get support and they had to wait 2 hrs on their line and then it wasn't followed up on. There seems to be ONE guy left in the department and he, as another poster has offered, is overwhelmed.
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:28   #15

Maybe the two lugs shown by red arrows should clip under the rim - and should not be on top of it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-01-01 12-21-53.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	284947  
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service