Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2022, 01:58   #16

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Re: Laptop vs weatherproof cpu

On my yacht at the nav station I use a - TBOX 12620 running i5 with 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD with WIN Enterprise 10 IoT 2019 LTSC. It can be run directly from 12v, however as I have a dedicated inverter at the nav station I use this, which also runs the 20” monitor. Its completely waterproof and low power. Runs OpenCPN and Predictwind, plus its interfaced with AIS via a multiplexer. Note that I also have a Chartplotter in the cockpit, prefer the redundancy.

Also note that they sell many other versions of industrial boxes, ie i7, etc, just depends on how much power and money you want to spend.

https://www.cybervisuell.com/wp-cont...TBOX-12620.pdf

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 02:30   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
I was not planning on researching this or making a decision about it until I was ready to live on my boat full time, which could be up to three years from now, and on a different boat.

However, there is a chance I am going to want to work from this boat, this winter, and my work laptop is coming due to be replaced.

I am a project manager for an architecture firm in MA. I have been working remotely for over 10 years, including 5 traveling in an rv full time. At a bare minimum, I need two screens to work efficiently. Usually one of those screens is the largest gaming laptop I can find on the market. Gamer specs and CAD 3d specs are very similar.

I was reading a thread recently about gutting the electronics on a boat and starting over, and another thread about using chart plotters vs tablets and computers. I admit to understanding about 10 percent of the words in those threads, but the words I did understand made me re-think the gamer laptop approach.

Would I be better off with a central computer in a box designed for sailing conditions that I could link a couple of touch screen monitors to wirelessly? I think these could double as tablet screens for navigation.

Someone mentioned rasberry pi to me, I have not looked at it yet. I know there are "tough" computer boxes out there. i would still need the graphics specs of a gamer computer.

Thanks for any feedback.
OK, I'm a little late to the party.
I can only tell you what works for me.
39 foot centre cockpit with a dry 'walk through' to the aft cabin. What as built was a top bunk in the 'walk through' is now where all the electrickery lives.
Amongst this stuff is the "ship''s computer". Nothing fancy , runs OPenCPN , Sailmail, displays AIS. As I say nothing fancy. Display is at the chart table - I have lost two displays over the years with creeping water damage - not sudden and catastrophic.
In port email etc etc is simply a Macbook Pro using an iphone as a hotspot with a pre paid SIM.

If I was wanting a super big display or two run by the 'walk through' puter I would simply mount them on the frd saloon bulkhead.

Power?

I run the ship's PC and assorted other stuff directly of the batts using one of these
https://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB
Can input 18V or whatever you need. Good kit.
Old 23-04-2022, 03:44   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40

Laptop with hdmi to connect to your TV for the second screen.

Tags
laptop, weather