Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2021, 21:55   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004
Legacy Electronics and New bits.

Our Bavaria came with a suite of Raymarine electronics which have been in the main reliable and great to work with, but...

Over time, several of the components are giving trouble, the windex bearings seized, so up the mast to fetch down and install new bearings only to find a different model than thought. Free up and regrease, all good. Now how to recalibrate the wind direction? ...hmmm.

The built in battery has apparently died in the old GPS reciever and now it takes quite a while before I get a fix.

The Raymarine VHF has perished leads on the microphone and on the full service remote set at the helm station which no longer operated.

We are quite keen fishermen so we want more than the depth, we want to be able to visualize the bottom....

Rather than go out and buy a whole new suite of products, I am Upgrading or replacing certain items with better specs, but I need to integrate these individual items to be compatible with the boats legacy network. My legacy system works on NMEA 0183 but has Seatalk 2000 capability ( I think that's right) The MFD is hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Chartplotter with Radar.

I have a Lowrance LMS 332c fishfinder/gps/chartplotter but I'll keep this separate from the network, I just want fishfinding data, but it will give the added benefit of backup GPS/Plotter.

The big new addition to this all is a Vesper Cortex AIS/VHF with additional remote that I want to link to the legacy network. I'm hoping to use the new GPS receiver that it comes with to talk to the Raymarine plotter and retire the old one. I also would like AIS data to appear on my hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Chartplotter. I will also use the VHF splitter to share with my old Raymarine VHF which will just provide VHF redundancy.

Is all this doable? Problems? Suggestions as to what connections I'll need for this setup? Thanks in advance.
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 22:52   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Re: Legacy Electronics and New bits.

There is lots of information on this site that talks about interfacing new and old Raymarine equipment, particularly on the Legacy Forum.

https://raymarine.custhelp.com/app/home
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 09:32   #3

Re: Legacy Electronics and New bits.

The pathfinder stuff is so old. 15-20 years? It’s likely time to change it all.

The pathfinder will not show ais. It’s too old for that. Ais starts at the e classic series.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics