Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2019, 13:50   #1

Boat: 30' racer cruiser
Lenovo Miix 2 opencpn no GPS connection

I've got a Lenovo Miix 2 with opencpn loaded. It's got a internal GPS (GNSS 4752). It was working reliable for some time but now it doesn't show the position anymore. I also downloaded Geolocation TCP. There it says "GNSS status: disabled". If I go to Devise Manager - Sensors - GNSS - Properties it says "This devise is working properly". But it doesn't.... Can somebody help? Thanks!
goingplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 15:19   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: Lenovo Miix 2 opencpn no GPS connection

Delete the device from device manager, then go to Action / Scan For Hardware Changes. That will reload the device. Next, confirm the com port is set correctly. In Device Manager look for Ports (COM & LPT) and ensure your device is seen. Determine which port is assigned and go to settings on the GPS and confirm the port assignment. Also check the speed. I think it is nominally 4800, but make sure you check the user manual. OpenCPN and the GPS must match in Port# and speed.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:37   #3

I’m back again, thanks for you reply Brian. Before I start trying to fix my problem again I just like to make sure that I do understand you correctly. When you say that I should delete the device, do you mean to actually delete the inbuilt GPS? Does this inbuilt GPS have a com port as well? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2020, 06:17   #4

My bad... I assumed (bad for me) that the Lenovo was a laptop and you had an external GPS connected. I was wrong. Can you confirm that the tablet is in fact working with internal GPS? I believe you are using Windows, is that correct? If you are not sure about the GPS you can get some GPS Test Software for Windows. I know there is software on the Microsoft Store but there might be some elsewhere.

Just want to confirm that your internal GPS is working and you are seeing either location updates or a data stream of GPS sentences.

Added - I looked at OpenCPN on my Android Tablet. I went to Settings/Connections and see in the Data Connecitions box my internal GPS. I also clicked on Show NMEA Debug Window and pressed OK to see the NMEA data stream. I suspect you are not seeing the GPS in your Connections list. Is that correct? And I assume that you tried Adding Internal GPS? So many questions, sorry.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:59   #5

There seems to be a misunderstanding. Lenovo Miix 2 is a tablet and it works on Windows. As stated in my first posting it has an internal GPS - GNSS 4752. According to the Devise Manager it is working properly.

I have downloaded a GPS Test Software for Windows which you have mentioned in you last posting. It is called Geolocation TCP. I have downloaded it after I have seen it mentioned here in the forum. But it doesn’t show any signals.

If I turn the tablet on it took quite some time to get a signal in the past when it was still working but after a while it always did connect. I made sure about this, placed the tablet in the cockpit for over one hour but it still doesn’t work.

Perhaps I accidentally changed the settings on OpenCPN in options – connections. The setting is; TYPE: Net, DATAPORT: 127.0.0.1:15555, PRIORITY: 0, PARAMETERS: TCP, CONNECTION: Input, FILTERS: In:None, Out:None.

td p { margin-bottom: 0cm; }p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115%; }a:link { }
Old 02-01-2020, 13:39   #6

I think your settings are not correct. The NET/127.0.0.0 is used for establishing a network connection. Your device is internal and therefore you should be using "Built In GPS" or words to that effect. This is assuming you have that option.

Let's go back to your GPS test software. Do you have a configuration screen? If you are not receiving any signals either you are not talking to the Internal GPS or your Internal GPS is not working anymore. So let's get that figured out before we rush on to OpenCPN. Let's chase one rabbit at a time.

All of my devices that run Windows do not have internal GPS so I can't help you there. IF it worked once before, AND, it is not broken, THEN, it SHALL work again.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:30   #7

I spent two days trying to get it going – I give up. It seems to be something wrong with the inbuilt GPS. I updated the driver on the internal GPS, tried all sorts of different settings but it don’t make a difference. The GPS Test Software “Geolocation TCP” shows “no data” first, than changes to “initializing” and stays this way. I had it on all night but no Data Stream and no position on OpenCPN. Thanks anyway for trying to help.
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115%; }a:link { }
Old 04-01-2020, 10:44   #8

Again, you can try the Device Manager, find the internal GPS and delete it. Then restart the machine. It will find all hardware attached to the machine and reinstall if it is not already installed.

I did a little research and found some guy had to reinstall the Lenovo Chipset and the GPS Drivers. I know you did the driver but how about the Chipset Drivers?

Might I recommend one more option. Since it is Windows based there might be a restore option. Either restore to a previous time or reinstall the OS. Other than that I don't know what else to tell you. Sorry.
Old 04-01-2020, 23:47   #9

Brian, you are my hero…! I was very hesitant to delete the GPS but than I thought what the heck – it doesn’t work anyway. So I did as you’ve suggested; I deleted it, restarted the bloody gadget and indeed it works like a charm now. Thank you so much. For ever fair winds and following seas to you…!
Old 05-01-2020, 06:56   #10

Bravo-Zulu for not giving up!

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn