Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 08:52   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Let's Compare Experiences with VOIP Providers & Technologies

One of the things I have noticed about VOIP is that different schemes (different algorithms controlling the data stream) have different responses to system traffic. While many routers have QoS options that can theoretically ensure better quality of service by dedicating "all necessary" bandwidth to the VOIP call first, if necessary cutting off data traffic to other devices, that just doesn't seem to work with the few VOIP devices (each with a different network adapter of it's own) that have been plugged in.

I've never found a good review or write-up on the web saying "this and this service use this and this protocol and they've more robust" only a few that note they do or do not also support FAX machines, which are analog devices and not supported on most VOIP systems at all.

I guess that's like asking for a tour of the sausage factory: No one really wants to look inside.

But I have yet to find a VOIP system that doesn't get all garbled or noisy when there's a lot of data being drawn through the same "home" routers. Even though I know there should be.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:01   #17

QoS is extremely important in maintaining a quality connection. This must also be supported by the ISP & local routers. If you use LTE data service, all LTE carriers are moving towards VOLTE, or voice over LTE. LTE is a pure IP based network where voice calls are currently handed over to the 2G or 3G network to complete a circuit switched ( traditional) call. In the US, the major carriers have already started transitioning to VOLTE and should be fully implemented in the next year or so. As a consumer, you won't know the difference. What makes it pertinent to this conversation is the QoS that LTE assigns to the VOLTE call is high priority. So if you have LTE service, and a device capable of VOLTE, you will get guaranteed performance over a basic data connection and Skype.
El Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:58   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" the QoS that LTE assigns to the VOLTE call is high priority. So if you have LTE service, and a device capable of VOLTE, you will get guaranteed performance "
Aren't you forgetting something? None of that will happen unless YOUR router is spanking new and happens to recognize and support VOLTE by default.

Considering how many home/boat/café/bar routers are at least five years old, have no concept of what "LTE" is, let alone VOLTE, and how many of those aren't going to be replaced for five more years....

Nice concept. Ten years from now.
Old 16-02-2015, 14:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
" the QoS that LTE assigns to the VOLTE call is high priority. So if you have LTE service, and a device capable of VOLTE, you will get guaranteed performance "
Aren't you forgetting something? None of that will happen unless YOUR router is spanking new and happens to recognize and support VOLTE by default.

Considering how many home/boat/café/bar routers are at least five years old, have no concept of what "LTE" is, let alone VOLTE, and how many of those aren't going to be replaced for five more years....

Nice concept. Ten years from now.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not talking about interfacing your computer to an LTE connected router, i'm talking about calls originated from an LTE device. A 4G cell phone. Some here use 3G/4G services for data already. If you have that connection, and the carrier supports VOLTE, you can make a QoS managed VOIP call. Your device must support it and all newer phones eventually will. iPhone 6 and latest Galaxy do.

My point is that your router will have no effect on QoS no matter what your settings are if you're on someone else's network. VOLTE is guaranteed QoS but requires LTE signal and device, although you may have the device already.
Old 16-02-2015, 15:57   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ah, no that wasn't clear. You're saying the carrier has their own internal QoS that will give bandwidth to their LTE data connections, over their LTE voice connections? Or??

It makes no sense to me, since all LTE connections are "data" whether that is a digital voice call, or a digital non-voice call. I'd want the voice calls prioritized, because the customer won't notice dropped bits and retries in a data call, but shh..shhh....shhsure will in a voice call.
Old 17-02-2015, 06:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Ah, no that wasn't clear. You're saying the carrier has their own internal QoS that will give bandwidth to their LTE data connections, over their LTE voice connections? Or??

It makes no sense to me, since all LTE connections are "data" whether that is a digital voice call, or a digital non-voice call. I'd want the voice calls prioritized, because the customer won't notice dropped bits and retries in a data call, but shh..shhh....shhsure will in a voice call.

No, voice and other connections that require low latency, will get varying levels of priority. VOIP is at the top with high priority and guaranteed bit rate. VOLTE calls are higher quality in many cases to their circuit switched ( GSM, UMTS, CDMA, etc) counterparts because they use more robust voice encoders and lower overall bandwidth than typical voip calls. It boils down to if you are in an LTE service area and have to make quality voice comms, it is probably the best quality available.
Old 17-02-2015, 11:04   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Oh, OK, got it now. They're using VOLTE to try attacking low-latency connections. Essentially then, saying the hell with data the "voice" has to go through.

I'm used to thinking of it the other way around, i.e. when latency is too high the data connections fail, but the degraded voice comms (Houston, this is Tranquility Base. Beep.) are still acceptable to and by the wetware using them.
Old 17-02-2015, 11:20   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rubio View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not talking about interfacing your computer to an LTE connected router, i'm talking about calls originated from an LTE device. A 4G cell phone. Some here use 3G/4G services for data already. If you have that connection, and the carrier supports VOLTE, you can make a QoS managed VOIP call. Your device must support it and all newer phones eventually will. iPhone 6 and latest Galaxy do.

My point is that your router will have no effect on QoS no matter what your settings are if you're on someone else's network. VOLTE is guaranteed QoS but requires LTE signal and device, although you may have the device already.
If I am not mistaken, however, this applies only to the carrier's own voice calls. Not to VOIP calls made using the carrier's data service. Not so?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 07:19   #24

That's correct, but if you are using LTE data, have a compatible device and voice plan, then you get higher quality at lower bandwidth. It's about the only option for full QoS treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-02-2015, 08:44   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rubio View Post
That's correct, but if you are using LTE data, have a compatible device and voice plan, then you get higher quality at lower bandwidth. It's about the only option for full QoS treatment.
Right, but that means that VOLTE is irrelevant to Skype and other VOIP usage, contrary to what some have posted. VOLTE only works for the carrier's own voice service.

I now have a fair amount of experience with LTE. I do not detect any improvement in QoS compared to HSPA+.

I actually changed providers here in the UK in order to get LTE on board, and it's much more expensive than what I was paying for 3G through TMobile. I am getting tremendous download speeds -- often above 10mb/s. But the latency is about the same as I've ever had -- 40 or 50ms. I don't think the high bandwidth of LTE is relevant to VOIP, as I only need less than 100kbs even for uLaw.

So contrary to what some have posted above, I'm not sure LTE is any kind of revolution for VOIP, other than for when you're using the carrier's own voice service. It's great for regular internet usage, though -- pretty much just like at home on a fast DSL line.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 06:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Right, but that means that VOLTE is irrelevant to Skype and other VOIP usage, contrary to what some have posted. VOLTE only works for the carrier's own voice service.

I now have a fair amount of experience with LTE. I do not detect any improvement in QoS compared to HSPA+.
This is my point. With VOL:TE, you get the proper QoS. With Skype on some WiFi, or wireless data, you may not get any special QoS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I actually changed providers here in the UK in order to get LTE on board, and it's much more expensive than what I was paying for 3G through TMobile. I am getting tremendous download speeds -- often above 10mb/s. But the latency is about the same as I've ever had -- 40 or 50ms. I don't think the high bandwidth of LTE is relevant to VOIP, as I only need less than 100kbs even for uLaw.

So contrary to what some have posted above, I'm not sure LTE is any kind of revolution for VOIP, other than for when you're using the carrier's own voice service. It's great for regular internet usage, though -- pretty much just like at home on a fast DSL line.
The high bandwidth and more efficient use of spectrum will allow better latency and overall data capacity, when the system is busiest. On the other hand, if you are using a device capable of VOLTE, you may be able to make regular 2G-3G circuit switched (non-VOIP) calls anyway. My post is about the definite QoS assigned from one end of the network to the other when using VOLTE. That's not likely on many other services.

In case it's confusing to anyone reading this, VOLTE is basically a regular phone call made on an LTE network and requires LTE service from a wireless carrier and a an LTE cellphone. VOLTE is new and LTE voice calls at many places are still being dumped off to 2G & 3G networks until VOLTE is implemented. Some people use an LTE cellphone as a hotspot and may have the device already.
Old 18-05-2016, 19:48   #27

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I tend to use FaceTime with all my fellow Apple-indoctrinees. I find it is more stable than Skype most of the time. But for actual business use, so far MagicJack is working really well for me.
Hi Mike, i used magic jack years ago, Best investment i made. I havn't used them or any other voip service since. Are you still using this? if so how good is it from the older ones to the new ones they have now
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 04:49   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC45 View Post
Hi Mike, i used magic jack years ago, Best investment i made. I havn't used them or any other voip service since. Are you still using this? if so how good is it from the older ones to the new ones they have now
Hi CC, yup I'm currently using MJ for all my phone service. I only use the service via their app on my iOS devices (iPad and iPhone). Don't use their dongles.

I can't give you any comparison of days gone by, but I am totally satisfied with the service. Quality of calls seems to be better than other VOIP services I've used (including FaceTime and Skype). My costs are insignificant (~$30CND /year? I have to look...) to have a real Canadian phone number, voicemail, along with unlimited calling in Canada and the US. They have international rates as well. I've never called anywhere else, but they look cheap.

My only beef with the service is that texting is only available in the US using US phone numbers. That, and their support seems non-existent. But the service has worked great for me since giving up land/cell line (along with land house).
Old 20-05-2016, 11:02   #29

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the advise, I will go back to MJ. I always had problems with regular phone companys. Was always treated great with MJ and never had a problem..
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc