Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2019, 05:44   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Lightening Windows 10 for Low Power Navigation Computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Anyone else have any good tips for making Windows lighter and/or more stable?

FWIW one can use the "Task Manager/Processes" to dispense with a lot of the "background" operations that are unnecessary or a pain in the neck and consume resources by right-clicking on a Process and then clicking on "End Task". Cortana, MS Edge, One-Drive et al. Takes about a minute byt doesn't fool with the Registry.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 06:17   #17

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
How well does Linux work with these new multi-core CPU's? Are they able to do the multi-threaded processes which make these CPU's perform well? I think my ship's computer has 8 cores.
Depends on the distribution. Ubuntu (Debian) has been multi core optimised for years now.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 14:28   #18

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
There may be something to this.

My ship's computer doesn't get internet access except when downloading GRIBs or charts or updating something.

The only problem I would have with Linux is that I do have one nav program which is Windows only.

How well does Linux work with these new multi-core CPU's? Are they able to do the multi-threaded processes which make these CPU's perform well? I think my ship's computer has 8 cores.
Threads and core utilisation aren't necessarily one and the same. But the answer to your question is Linux works on multiple cores. My 24 core workstation runs Linux as the primary OS and it utilises every one of them.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 14:32   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Depends on the distribution. Ubuntu (Debian) has been multi core optimised for years now.
I could be wrong, but thread and core handling is performed by the kernel, which means it will be the same across all Linux distros.
Old 25-04-2019, 14:36   #20

Quote:
There may be something to this.

My ship's computer doesn't get internet access except when downloading GRIBs or charts or updating something.

The only problem I would have with Linux is that I do have one nav program which is Windows only.

If you don't need to run that Windows program too often, installing Windows as a virtual machine is a possible solution. There is also an app called "Wine" which allows Windows programs to run natively (on Intel CPUs) directly in Linux, although this can be a bit hit and miss with some programs.
Old 26-04-2019, 05:29   #21

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

For anyone wanting to try going Microsoft free try this. Get a memory stick and downloat Ubuntu on to it, while there get a copy of Libra office and Open CPN. If you have only run MS before you will probably be suprised to know that the whole lot will not only fit on a 32gb stick it will fun from it! Try playing with it for a month then see what you want to do. Whatever the enthusiasts tell you Linux does have a 'dark side'. It is written by computer geeks who dont see why anyone could have a problem with typing 'sudu aptget update' or other commands. Not sure exactily what the language is but you do find yourself having to occasionally do some (very simple) comand line instructions. For those to young to remember pre windows/mac OS and who are not computer geeks this can be a challenging learning curve. I still have to resort to a manual if I need to do anything with the OS because my brain won't retain command line instructions overnight! Having said that I would definitely recomend giving it a go. I run my 'big machine' on linux Ubuntu, it has multi terrabite raid drives, multiple screens sveral priters and scanners plus software that, on windows would be thousands of $ per year in 'updates' and licence fees, and runs it all so fast it is virtually invisible. The only significant problems I get are when I want send stuff to others and forget to translate it to MS. The only software issue I have found are with interfaces. Two areas the linux world is week in are printer drivers whhich can cause conflict issues as there are often no drivers available for Linux. Or I get problems with the sofware and print drives competing for who is in charge! Not going to be an issue on a boat as few peple have room for a wide format mapping and photography printer. The other week spot is that there is no wifi card available. That means I have to use my mobile phone as a wifi reciever to get internet from the modem or have a wired connection. Again not likely to be an issue on a boat as most people run on a tablet or laptop not a desktop. I do still run a small winbows machine but each year it seems mor like going back to tha bad old days of mainframes and dumb terminals only now the mainframe is 'in the cloud' not in the basement. Do you think we are to dumb or that computers are to dangerouse to be in the hands of 'ordinary people'? More likely I think that if we have the computer power we can do things like write open CPN and where is the profit for MS in that! Resistance is futile (until it succeeds)
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 06:21   #22

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Or try PrimeOS and run a clean Android installation on almost any PC...
Old 26-04-2019, 07:42   #23

Boat: Lancer 27PS

If the OP does not know how to boot from a USB drive by modifying the BIOS, then this is a bad suggestion. Linux, while a fine OS, is too complicated for the average person. Not saying the OP is average, but Linux is not as simple as it is led out to be. Plus, one will have to get all the drivers for the machine the OP has now. My counsel is to stay away from Linux.

The simplest solution is to get a refurbished Win7 machine and make that a dedicated PC for the boat. It solves ALL the problems. Granted, MS has ended support for Win7 in 2015, but it is still a viable OS. The OP can strip Win7 of useless functions. There are so many used Win7 machines on Ebay for so cheap. Max out the onboard memory and get one that has a fast, multiple core processor.

JMHO (and not bashing Linux or its users, just stating it is a complex OS)
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 08:58   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
all Linux distros use the same kernel they all have multi-core support, it was supported in 2011, so I imagine all the distros are at least using that or a later kernel

Linux will also run on many more (different) processors
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 10:20   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

All this stuff about Linux. Unless you are a complete geek with the patience of Job don't even think about it. Been there, done that, lost the will to live.

For goodness sake, an annual subscription to Office 365 hardly registers on the Richter scale of boat money and Windows 10 is effectively free.

Further, unlike most money spent on boats, it is actually good value. As an example, compare it to the price of an MFD and charts.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 12:15   #26

Pretty sure most of you guys complaining of the complexity of Linux haven't actually tried recent consumerised versions like Ubuntu or mint lately. Driver and printer support is better in some cases than Windows and "aptget" (which is actually just "apt" these days) doesn't need to be used because gui software managers and updaters are included with the distros. Same for wired and wireless networking. For most users, they will have as little need for the command line as they would in Windows.

And if you were reading the tech news this week, you would have read that MS has become a trillion dollar company off the back of cloud computing. This is the future, but doesn't lend itself to recreational boating applications. MS OS's will start to reflect this direction more and more into the future, however. And why on earth would anyone in their right mind want to annually subscribe to Office when free alternatives like LibreOffice exist if you have no specific need to use Office as a product?
Old 26-04-2019, 12:27   #27

MS will be charging an annual subscription for windows in a couple of years, just like they do with office now.

I know my web browser tracks me (and there are some that don't), but my OS? If it were free like my browser, maybe, but if I have to pay for it, no thanks
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 12:48   #28

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Pretty sure most of you guys complaining of the complexity of Linux haven't actually tried recent consumerised versions like Ubuntu or mint lately. Driver and printer support is better in some cases than Windows ... ... ...
I think you're probably right there. I have tried Linux in the past and fallen foul of incompatibilities and missing drivers, so have given up and reverted to Windows.

However, the W10 major updates are now a complete nightmare on small machines with totally unexplained reasons for failure etc. On my laptop I now get "Last failed install attempt on ‎22/‎04/‎2019 - 0x80071a91" On-line it appears this failure is impossible to solve ... ...

Maybe I should follow the suggestions and use an up-to-date Linux distribution and have another go!
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 13:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
I think you're probably right there. I have tried Linux in the past and fallen foul of incompatibilities and missing drivers, so have given up and reverted to Windows.

However, the W10 major updates are now a complete nightmare on small machines with totally unexplained reasons for failure etc. On my laptop I now get "Last failed install attempt on ‎22/‎04/‎2019 - 0x80071a91" On-line it appears this failure is impossible to solve ... ...

Maybe I should follow the suggestions and use an up-to-date Linux distribution and have another go!

You'll never know if you don't give it a go. And sooner or later, Windows will be as useless as Chrome OS when it comes to using it offline. For proof, just look at how crazy the latest Windows 10 release is if you leave a PC off for a month and then turn it back on.

If trying Linux coming from Windows, Mint is the best choice, imo. It was conceived originally for Windows users to crossgrade (from XP to Vista) so provides a reasonably similar look and feel when installed.
Old 26-04-2019, 13:44   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
MS will be charging an annual subscription for windows in a couple of years, just like they do with office now.

I know my web browser tracks me (and there are some that don't), but my OS? If it were free like my browser, maybe, but if I have to pay for it, no thanks

BINGO!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../waas-overview

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/03/ma...e-connections/

Tags
computers, low power, navigation, wind