Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 18:41   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Lightning, outboards and disconnecting electronics

So I know that multihulls have a higher incidence of lightning issues. I am also aware of some lightning strikes have incapacitated inboard engines. But I have not seen anything about newer outboards being affected. I am installing a new 25 hp Yamaha which has more electronics than the old outboards. And I will add an interface cable to tie the outboard to the ships computer running OpenCPN. The computer will interface with other instruments via a multiplexer.

In the event of an electrical storm, I plan to disconnect the VHF antenna from the VHF. I would also like to disconnect the chartplotter but as yet haven't come up with a convenient method to do so. So a couple questions:
  1. Do I need to worry about the lithum batteries with lightning?
  2. Other than disconnecting the VHF antenna, what else should I disconnect to minimize damage from lightning?
  3. Do the same for the AIS antenna?
  4. Is a switch isolating other components from each other enough? And a SPST switch enough or do I need a knife switch.
  5. And even if I disconnect the chartplotter electrically, is it safe?
I am still at the stage I can make some electrical changes if warranted.
I have never been hit before although I have been caught out in open water with a couple thunderstorms and I duck each time it hits close by.
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knife switch.png
Views:	2
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	294186  
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, lightning, outboard