Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2006, 06:20   #31

Boat: Privilege 37
NUC lights/shapes are not constrained to a vessel that is stopped or drifting, but are still relevant even if making way through the water (e.g. loss of steering system).
Old 28-06-2006, 07:41   #32

Boat: Moody 471
Send a message via Skype™ to Borden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan
It is forums like this that afford less experienced sailors such as I the opportunity to increase our knowledge. To me, it is more important to support those of us (like me) who are seeking to increase our knowledge & skills, than to chastise them for their lack of knowledge.
If my post sounded like chastisement then my apologies. Everyone needs to learn and those who go about obtaining the skills and knowledge before they take to the sea in charge of a boat are doing the right thing by themselves, their crew, their family and others who share the same piece of water with them.

It's not necessary to have been in the navy or merchant service to gain this knowledge, the RYA and probably many other national organisations run excellent courses so that people can gain the necessary knowledge and skills to operate their craft safely.

Colin
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 14:50   #33

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
It was a general observation Colin, not a criticism of your post per se. I envy you your easy access to training & courses. I do not really have the same luxury. I am based in Hobart, Tasmania. Tasmania is an Island about the same size as Scotland but with a population of less than half a million, so the population just isn't sufficient to maintain a good infrastructure of marine organisations such as might offer the type of training you are talking about. There are some courses available through Adult Education, but they tend to be very basic "learn to sail" courses, and the local yacht clubs do offer some courses, but these tend to be more sail-trimming and the like. The local Marine Safety body does some good courses - use of flares, for example, but they are few and far between. The only really useful course for me that is coming up in the next 6 months is a marine radio course which will qualify you for an HF radio license....I am definitely going to be signing up for that one!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 18:56   #34
Kai Nui

Collregs are specific in relation to a vessel hove to. The terms,"A vessel under way, a vessel making way, and a vessel at anchor" are the three specific definitions that are used. A vessel hove to or riding a sea anchor should be considered underway not making way. I also agree that the lights for a vessel not under command and/or limited in her ability to manuveur should also be displayed.

Tags
legal