Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 02:03   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Lithium Ion System problems

I would contact Victron directly. In my experience they are very helpful at solving issues that arise.

I agree that the installer and his setup is likely the problem.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:28   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Can you please post us who at Victron is this fabulous helpful guy. This woud certainly a big help for us all
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 19:43   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Can you please post us who at Victron is this fabulous helpful guy. This woud certainly a big help for us all
I am in Canada and call Victron US in Portland Maine. When I had a problem with a BMS they set up the same items to see if they could duplicate the problem. Their effort was appreciated but it turned out to be my mistake. I have found them great to deal with and helpful when necessary.

In your case I would call Victron in Almere Haven. They should be able to help.

https://www.victronenergy.com/contact
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 20:18   #19

Boat: KP44 #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
I get a bit fed up by those who have never even seen these batteries telling everyone the world will end if they use them.
I've had LiFePO4 batteries for 3 years with no problems.
Hair hasn't fallen out, dog is still alive, no dead fish behind my boat etc etc.
Sorry but I have no Victron system to help advise you though.
No he's right! When I stuck a drill bit though my 700 amp hr cell and shorted it, the smoke poured out for 15-20 minutes in my garage, I died, it sucked!
dlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 23:36   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdwcheney View Post
I would not go with Li-Ion Batteries because if they should go bad, they give off HF gas that if very deadly, can kill in less than a minute.
Then you should turn off your laptop computer or tablet immediately and get rid of it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:39   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Then you should turn off your laptop computer or tablet immediately and get rid of it.
And your cordless phone, and all your cordless tools, and your smartphone...

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 00:07   #22

Boat: Van Dam Nordia 49'

My thanks to everyone who put in a response.

I don't think I'm actually going to get an answer on this as the industry seems to be burying itself in these sorts of problems. One thing I am sure is that I cannot troubleshoot the product with the limited information that Victron allows out. The programming is black box in nature which means it protects Victron from its competition there is no options available to the customer.

Even understanding which firmware update to use is not easy. The yard I am in presently has a pretty knowledgable electric/electronics installer but is stumped by the choices of firmware and cannot get answers from the local Victron reps. During the winter when the system shut down and would not allow a reboot he managed to update the color controller which fixed the system for a while but again manifest shutdowns without a clear cause. His feeling is that the Quattro needs new firmware but even I as the purchaser have had little help from the factory

If I were to do this over I would stick with the old Gel Cells and individual components that are not required to work together. The Quattro charger talks to the controller and that in turn monitors the batteries utilizing software that is proprietary. Simplicity is always better and reliability is greatest when the system is the simplest.
BenFranklyn is offline   Reply With Quote