Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2019, 02:42   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: LJCapteurs in place of Raymarine ST60?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
. . . It's on my stern arch, see pic. .

So you use it for weather, and not sailing?

You have another wind instrument at the top of the mast?

That's a different story -- the WSO100 was made for weather, actually, and was initially not marketed as a sailing wind instrument. I think it's good as a weather station.

Bit of trivia -- I believe that the technology was licensed by Maretron from LJCapteurs, the very first system which LJCapteurs worked out in the '90s and implemented in the CV3. The CV7 has a new and different system which has inherent accuracy for both direction and wind speed by something like one order of magnitude greater.

I wish I had known all of that when I was making the initial choice of the WSO100. I chose the wrong wind instrument, and incorrectly designed my system, with heavy N2K cabling run all the way up the mast
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 12:07   #17

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

That's a different story -- the WSO100 was made for weather, actually, and was initially not marketed as a sailing wind instrument. I think it's good as a weather station.

Bit of trivia -- I believe that the technology was licensed by Maretron from LJCapteurs, the very first system which LJCapteurs worked out in the '90s and implemented in the CV3. The CV7 has a new and different system which has inherent accuracy for both direction and wind speed by something like one order of magnitude greater.

I wish I had known all of that when I was making the initial choice of the WSO100. I chose the wrong wind instrument, and incorrectly designed my system, with heavy N2K cabling run all the way up the mast
You might find this interesting.
He is testing different rigs Junk rig etc but he uses a CV for his testing rig instruments. He is describing his test rig around 7mins, saying "its better accuracy than most".
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 12:49   #18

Quote:

I believe it was actually Airmar that licensed the CV3.... and successfully sued to keep LCJCapteurs out of the US market. Which is why I bought my CV7 from Canada.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 06:44   #19
Marine Service Provider

May you know that LCJ CAPTEURS grants to AIRMAR the right to use their first patent (CV3F) many years ago in the USA.

Regarding the Raymarine ST60 topic, LCJ CAPTEURS proposes a new interface, called STBG interface. This one is suitable with all Raymarine and B&G instruments, whether old or young displays. Please find all information about the interface on the link below.
https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/girouette...nt/cv7-stbg-2/

Thank you Q Xopa for the interesting video. We could see on it the accuracy of LCJ CAPTEURS sensors’.
VENTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 10:39   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:

No, I use it for sailing as well. I can't believe how everybody assumes it needs to be at the masthead even though all mechanical wind vane installations sense the wind direction right at the stern of the boat.

When beating, trim the sails during hand steering like always, then set wind-mode. Check sail trim, tell tales etc. and adjust wind-angle with the +1 / -1 keys.

I think you want to set the autopilot AWA to 30 degrees and demand that to be the actual AWA. I agree that this requires way more precision but it isn't required for steering to a wind angle as demonstrated by thousands in the past decennia.

If I go back to one with moving parts then I'll still put it on the arch. It simply cost me too much to keep up the mast with lightning and birds killing it. There's a pair of mangrove black hawks here that are ripping everything off all boats just for fun.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine