Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2018, 08:48   #16

Boat: ketch, 51'
Re: Log vs GPS Speed - Why the Difference?

The log speed measure speed of water passing boat.
GPS speed over ground.
Old 19-08-2018, 09:01   #17

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Most transducers are located off center. When the boat is running or reaching, it is relatively flat but when close hauled the heel may affect the flow of water and thus the reading. My speed through the water is consistently faster close hauled on starboard.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 09:09   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

GPS = calculated via Position Difference = SOG Speed over Ground
Log = mechanical weel in the water = STW Speed trough water

if speed more than 3 kn SOG is accurate.
STW is not really accurate, but good enough, as the water flow is not constant.
If you have current and you know your log is thoroughly adjusted then

the difference between SOG and STW is the current.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 09:11   #19

Boat: Alerion Express 28

The difference may be due to the transducer not being on the center line of the boat. When you are running or on a reach, the hull is relatively flat but when close hauled the heel may affect the flow of water on an off center transducer. On my boat, speed through the water is about 20% faster on close hauled on starboard.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 09:44   #20

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

yep,

Agree with the GPS speed over the ground and knot meter, or taff rail log,
speed thru the water ( mechanical readings ) .

Plus if you are sailing close hauled, close reach, and a beam reach, you are likely to have leeway, pushed down wind, no straight line course .

Are you plotting positions and ETA's, using coastal navigation on paper charts, D.R's, E.P's, fixes or running fixes, as well as using the GPS ?

The O.P. is getting some great ideas as to the difference in GPS vs Log speed. Seems it could be a number of different reasons for the difference.

Also, when navigating we use all aspects of navigation, Coastal Navigation and Piloting, GPS, and even fathom lines ( depth sounder ) .
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 09:55   #21

Boat: Leopard 47

It's very simple. Log is movement relative to the water. GPS is movement relative to the planet.

Log does not include movement to the lee and current. GPS is accurate. Log is an estimate.
Old 19-08-2018, 10:07   #22
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

It bugs me when owners compare speeds but don't state the instrument used (GPS/paddle wheel) and weather the paddle wheel has been calibrated.

Every knotmeter I have owned has included instructions on calibrating it to the boat, always with a test run over a defined mile...Coast Guard has some of these posted on NOAA charts, I have one in my area. Have you done a calibration run against a measured mile?

FWIW, on my previous boat I would calibrate it coming home after the haul with a clean bottom. I did get small varying corrections from calibration to calibration. On my current larger boat, I just don't worry about it, looking more for variations within the instrument than against the GPS. Also, going slow to docking, etc., when the GPS doesn't give a faster response, is when I use it more.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 10:56   #23

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

You might also think about how the paddle wheel on the log works when you are close hauled. The boat is likely making significant leeway and is not pointing in the direction of the CMG. Thus water is flowing under the boat in a direction not perpendicular to the axis of the paddle wheel. Surely that introduces some error. The GPS, on the other hand, is measuring your actual SOG regardless of leeway, which way the bow of your boat is pointing, etc.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 11:21   #24
Marine Service Provider

The main purpose of a log or paddle wheel type knot meter is for sail trim. Position error, and therefore accuracy, will vary on differing points of sail for the reasons stated. On a given point of sale with a constant wind condition even a slight trimming of sails could result in a slight increase or decrease in indicated speed. This tells you if you made the right trim adjustment or not. This is highly useful while racing.

Other that I suppose a paddle wheel knot meter could be used to approximate current and/or as a rough indication of SOG for updating the DR when all your electronic fail. A Taffrail or trailing log with a long tether could be much more consistent than a paddle wheel.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 11:46   #25

Paddle wheel logs are susceptable to the waterflow under the hull. Mine can be turned in its holder, is is not locked in position by a key, so and I can turn it bit by bit until the maximum reading is obtained.

Try to do this: loosen the holding nut, turn the log and let your partner read the output. Good luck.
Jan Huisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 11:58   #26

Just because the displays have a decimal point doesn't mean much. I believe people read (pi!) too much into them and the differences between them. I use the differences between ours to indicate the current's relative strength. I haven't sailed on a lake in 35 years! Neither readout is absolute. Close enough for planning purposes.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 12:03   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Paddle wheel log calibration on most systems is a fixed offset. In reality they can be pretty nonlinear in their measurements. So if you calibrate at 5 kts it doesn't mean that it is accurate at 2 or 7kts.
Old 19-08-2018, 12:34   #28

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Happens on our cat, about 1 knot difference port tack to starboard. Transducer is not on centreline of one hull so I put it down to leeway causing different flow angles to transducer. When I had a cat with the Tx on a hull centerline it was fine. Low priority do address it though
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 14:10   #29

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

As others said: over ground speed compared to thru the water speed. Also in big swells the paddle is measuring the up and down distance and would show the greater distance.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 14:26   #30

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I suggest you investigate as follows. Select 2 points at least 20 minutes apart with the current flowing between them. Motor from the first to second and back recording log readings every 10 minutes or so as well as the time for each run. A lot of variation in those readings signal an instrument problem right there. Then use simple math to compute average speed over ground in each direction. Compare that to your average log reading each way. Each of the differences is a good estimate of the tidal flow (one +, one -). If your computed tidal flow stimates differ by a lot or are not reasonable, you almost certainly have a log instrument problem. Repeat several times including cross tide/wind courses and you might be able to come up with a log correction factor. I suggest motoring not sailing for maintaining straight courses and minimal vulnerability to wind shifts confusing the data.
You might try cleaning your log sensor before doing this. A bit of shell or sand could easily cause bad readings.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, gps