Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 23:45   #211

Boat: Grand Soleil 42R
Many users report, that Nanostation 2 (Ubiquity) is delivering under U$ 100. Yes, also their promised distances are quite optimistic...

I personally use a lot 3,5G internet dongle with long amplified USB cable, when off-shore.

Jaak
Old 05-08-2009, 04:57   #212

Boat: 1993 Gemini 3200 #374
What type coax offers lowest line loss and best match to the Engenius EUB-362 and their 2408 antenna?
TikiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:51   #213
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Coax Line loss calculator

LMR195, LMR200, LMR240 & LMR400 are the most commonly used coax types.
Old 12-08-2009, 19:00   #214
Marine Service Provider

After finally getting around to configuring it, I give Engenius a HUGE thumbs down. I'm a little bit of a nerd myself, reason I took so long to set this thing up is I've been connecting with a jailbroken iPhone, but I highly recommend against this unit unless you're a real hardcore networking geek.

Really long and complicated manual. They really could have used a quickstart guide for the less tech savy. Also missing a few simple key instructions, like how do you actually connect to a network once it's configured...DUH! I see a bunch of available networks, in the control panel, but no idea where or how to actually connect.

Next I inadvertently switched to AP mode. Ok, I'll take the blame for that one...BUT, now I can't connect to the unit at all. The IP that they have in the manual for AP mode doesn't work. Google it and you'll see plenty of people having the same problem. Finally I found a page on how to just reset the unit, and it requires a serial cable. What century is this! I don't even remember the last time I owned a computer with a serial port.

I'll try giving support a call in the next few, but not too hopeful since I'm also seeing tons of reports that the company has horrible support. Either way, I think this thing is getting ebayed and I'm just going to go with a simple USB antenna.

Sorry if this seems harsh. Technically it may be a great unit, but way to complicated. There's enough things fix on a boat and to worry about when cruising, that I don't want to have to be an IT guy too.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 14:12   #215

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Do you know for sure?,my Alfa 500mW,and Engenius omni pull in signals over 3 to 4 miles,no B.S.!
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 16:53   #216

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44-Blue Note
Hi All,
I have a configuration problem one of you might be able to help me with. My boat system consists of a D-Link wireless router serving two computers and a printer with a DSL modem connected to its wan port. In anticipation of cutting the dock lines and losing the DSL connection, I purchased a Bullet2HP with a 9dB antenna and a PoE injector. I have been able to get the Bullet to work with each computer individually by plugging into each network adapter and configuring the Bullet as a station router with DHCP server enabled. I want to share the connection with both computers. What I have done is disabled the DHCP server and given the Bullet a static IP address on the wireless lan and plugged it into one of the lan ports on the D-Link router. Both computers can ping the address and access the Bullet’s configuration software. Neither can access the internet however. I suspect the problem is in Windows configuration, specifically the Gateway and DNS addresses. Each computer is configured for DHCP client and auto DNS. How do I allow the D-Link to serve the IP addresses, the Bullet to be a DHCP client to remote APs and still have the computers connect to the D-Link wirelessly?
Eric
alaska pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 03:31   #217
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Set the bullet as a station router with dhcp and nat enabled on the LAN side. On the WLAN side set the bullet to get its WLAN IP Address via DHCP. Plug the bullet into the WAN port of the D-Link reboot everyone and you should be good to go.

Pick an IP set for the bullet that is anything but 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.2.xxx.
Old 24-08-2009, 13:34   #218

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44-Blue Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Set the bullet as a station router with dhcp and nat enabled on the LAN side. On the WLAN side set the bullet to get its WLAN IP Address via DHCP. Plug the bullet into the WAN port of the D-Link reboot everyone and you should be good to go.

Pick an IP set for the bullet that is anything but 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.2.xxx.
Thank you, Bob. Worked like a charm.
alaska pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 14:12   #219

Boat: Cooper 416
Some pretty smart cookies

I love the way you can get answers on this site.I never thought someone would come up with that one.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 15:04   #220
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
The bullet from Ubiquity looks interesting. Is anyone using one, and if so, which specific model? How is it's performance?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 05:59   #221

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Hi all..
Does anybody have experience with BlueTooth from Aircable?
A friend of mine is installing a wind and current gauge and wants to transmit the RS232 data by long distance bluetooth. Any suggestions?
Tore
sinbad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 20:12   #222

Just a note on the 5 mile wifi,installed today,works better than my Alfa 500 Mw with Engenius 2408 omni antenna setup.The 25ft. of supplied coax is run up to lazyjacks to supplied antenna.Much faster, and steady streaming.I thought the Alfa was good,but this is better(and easy to install).
Old 09-09-2009, 20:18   #223

Location: aboard our boat and summer in beautiful Kye Bay Comox BC Canada
Boat: 78 Cooper Ketch 40 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to luepetri
hey all... amfinally out here left Vancouver Island Aug 18 and am sitting in Santa Cruz with my hubby and two feline buddies in our sail boat........lovin it. It was an incredible ride~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We purchased a Wirie and am very pleased with the wifi reception that we are getting..... simple and reasonalbe and it works.\\\\
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 20:20   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Just a note on the 5 mile wifi,installed today,works better than my Alfa 500 Mw with Engenius 2408 omni antenna setup.The 25ft. of supplied coax is run up to lazyjacks to supplied antenna.Much faster, and steady streaming.I thought the Alfa was good,but this is better(and easy to install).
This is the first postive thing I have read about 5mi wifi, go figure
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 20:41   #225

I used the Alfa for 4 months with decent results,right now I'm in area of bad wifi reception,switched to 5mile wifi today,same location ,way better signal than Alfa.Of course its 3 times the price.