Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 15-09-2009, 20:24   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I don't want to review 240 posts. So where do I find a 5 mile WiFi?
Well there have been some r not so postive reports on 5mile mile wifi so maybe research will save you some headaches I have never used it so I can not say The alpha unit has worked well for me plus much cheaper even when adding antenna ,your choice
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 21:04   #242

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I did find it via a google search...Man!!! $500!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 06:13   #243
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
One of the things that has helped prevent us from getting into cruising is that we actually do need to have fairly good internet connections. The Missus could actually work and make money, anywhere she has good DSL equivalent. I look into this about every year, or more often when I am really wishing I were on a boat, and I haven't yet seen anything affordable that would let us keep a good internet connection offshore. Does anyone know what the latest state of that whole technology is?
Old 17-09-2009, 06:30   #244

Boat: Maine Cat 41
It can be done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
One of the things that has helped prevent us from getting into cruising is that we actually do need to have fairly good internet connections. The Missus could actually work and make money, anywhere she has good DSL equivalent. I look into this about every year, or more often when I am really wishing I were on a boat, and I haven't yet seen anything affordable that would let us keep a good internet connection offshore. Does anyone know what the latest state of that whole technology is?
Let's start with some "conventional wisdom" ->

Don't let the "excuses" keep you from your dream!

While our experience is limited to the US East Coast, Bahamas and Eastern Carib, I can say that you can get access to the internet at near DSL speeds in most places. We keep notes in our log book on where we can get it and where we can't.

Having said that, also note that you have to be flexible. Some places you can pick it up from the boat (with the right eqt.), others you have to find an internet cafe, coffee shop/patisserie, bar, or yacht club. Some places you will pay dearly, others for free and the ability to plug your laptop into power varies widely.

In every place, a VHF shout out will get you a bunch of cruisers who will fill you in on the details.

Bottom Line: GO! Let the "search for Wi-Fi" be part of the adventure!

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 06:44   #245
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Ah, I wasn't being clear. I am not just looking for Wi-Fi when in port, I am interested in continuous internet connection anyplace from the Bahamas to Trinidad.

Including our home waters, the Turks and Caicos Islands. We are willing to spend some number of thousands of dollars to do this, but not for what I have seen in the past.

I keep hoping that someone will come out with some affordable sat based system that will allow us to keep in touch. My wife develops medical software, and uses web-based applications to do it. She Also needs to be able to be accessible to her clients in the USA. and Not just when we are on the hook near town.

My fault, I should have been clearer.
Old 17-09-2009, 21:58   #246
Hal

I thought there was an affordable Sat service available. I see it on the Sat TV all the time. Next time I will write it down and post a reply. You may have to install a gyro stablized antenna, but I'm sure you could get it working. The only possible problem I see is the power drain.

Hal
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 22:09   #247
Hal

Celestialsailor,

The problem isn't with the power or high gain antenna. The problem is with the turn around time for the packet data. If a packet of data is waiting to be received, such as an acknowledgement, it takes too long for the signal to travel the 5 miles and the receiving end sends another request for data. Then collisions occur. The most reliable connections can be maintained around two miles without messing up the timing which is built into the software and cannot be changed.

Hal
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 22:27   #248

Boat: Beneteau 50
I recently bought a Bullet2HP by Ubiquiti and used it to post an extensive write it up on it. See this link: Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Anything Sailing Forums

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 06:59   #249
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I thought there was an affordable Sat service available. I see it on the Sat TV all the time. Next time I will write it down and post a reply. You may have to install a gyro stablized antenna, but I'm sure you could get it working. The only possible problem I see is the power drain.

Hal
Last I checked, at the Lauderdale boat show. the sat equipment was extremely expensive.

Also, no one seems to have an unlimited plan. Everything is /min or /MB, and the cost for my usage would actually be more than my salary just for internet alone.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 07:03   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Celestialsailor,

The problem isn't with the power or high gain antenna. The problem is with the turn around time for the packet data. If a packet of data is waiting to be received, such as an acknowledgement, it takes too long for the signal to travel the 5 miles and the receiving end sends another request for data. Then collisions occur. The most reliable connections can be maintained around two miles without messing up the timing which is built into the software and cannot be changed.

Hal
New Wifi distance record of 237 miles.

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 07:03   #251

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Thumbs up Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
I recently bought a Bullet2HP by Ubiquiti and used it to post an extensive write it up on it. See this link: Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Anything Sailing Forums
Thanks for posting this! Answered a few more questions - looks like I will not need the POE injector!

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 07:22   #252
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
There's a service called BGAN. You have your choice of the marine version with the Gyro Antenna or the land based version without the Gyro. I have a friend who used the land based one on his boat with no problem at anchor in the Bahamas- "just point the antenna towards the south" he said. If you wanted it to work while underway you'd have to get the marinized Gryro version. My understanding is that they charge more for both the equipment and the actual service if you get the marine version. I ran a report of my KB per month of data usage and decided it was too pricey for me.
Old 18-09-2009, 09:35   #253

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
I can tell you the 5 mile wifi blows the Alfa out of the water,I have both set up right now and the Alfa won't even get a connection.I'm 5 miles off Morro Bay at this moment writing this,not possible with the Alfa.$100 bucks per mile,for me ,its worth it. Will work up to almost 10 miles out.Nice to be able to check the O.P.C. and Passage weather sites.Although right now we have 10 knot headwind and fog,neither of which are predicted on Passage weather.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 12:07   #254

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
highseas..

Do you have the website to the 5 mile WIFI you are using. Cost US$ 500. ??
What is the name of the model? We specialize in AIS monitoring, with some 6000 vessels in our FREE network presently. Using a 5 mile WIFI internet connection will give you a 'virtual' AIS receiver on board, although you can buy a dedicated receiver for less than US$ 500.- and share it with your VHF antenna.

You can inspect the network here:
Old 18-09-2009, 15:30   #255

Boat: Catalina 470
Internat at Sea, via satellite....it's been available for quite a while, just PRICEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Canibul,
Depending on your definition of "affordable", and "DSL equivalent", there currently ARE internet services available globally, provided by Iridium Open Port (128k syncronous service, with data comprssion comapres to a 250k - 400k DSL connection)......
and except for coverage past 75 degress latitude, also available from INMARSAT's Fleet Broadband (a quasi-BGAN service, with connections up to 150k)....
and, if you need faster connections, the INMARSAT Fleet systems (F77, etc.) may be what you need......

Iridium Open Port is probably the best choice for small craft / small - medium sized sailboats, with limited budgets, limited space, and limited electrical power....

Iridium Open Port, utilizes Iridium's 66 active Low Earth Orbiting (LEO) satellites, and does NOT use a stabilized antenna, nor does it require too much electrical power.....
Above deck unit (antenna, etc.) about the size of a large deep-dish pizza pan.....
Been in operation for a while now, and available to ocean voyagers / consumers for about a year now....
Equip costs ~ $4000 - $4500

INMARSAT Fleet Braodband, uses INMARSAT'a Geo-stationary satellites and therefore DOES use a stabilized antenna, and (along with B-GAN) requires a bit more electrical power than you may think....
B-GAN has been around for a couple of years, and Fleet Broadband available since this spring....
Above-deck unit is a small (~ 18" - 24") dome.....
Equip costs ~ $5000 - $6000

For the details, and a in depth discussion, please have a look here:
SSCA Discussion Board • View topic - Satellite Internet Service?

One of the things that is still a puzzlement to me is that so many assume that there are no such services availble to the general public.....but they are available....and have been for over a year....
(And if you've had a Mega-Yacht, they've been availble, from VSAT terminals, etc. for years.....but VERY expensive!!!!)

Read over the discussion referenced and you'll have most all the info you need, including pricing, etc....

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote