Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 19-01-2010, 17:08   #451

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Therpay-
With 30 pages of posts in this thread...how about start a new one, with exactly what you've got (hardware, software, OS, problem) and we all try to resolve it there?

This is on the Jon boat, right? :-)

HeHe.

Your'e right.

Sorry all.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 17:15   #452

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Get an EUB362 or similar USB adapter and enough cable to hoist the adapter at least 10' off the deck. You will probably get better results and won't have to spend much. If this works you can decide if you want improve on this by adding a high gain antenna and or waterproofing or if you want to move to a more expensive router based system.

Cable for that little antenna or another type that sends the whole thing up?
Old 19-01-2010, 17:23   #453
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

LuvTo, as Bob says, "n" equipment won't buy you much for public internet access which is already widely deployed g equipment, and not about to be replaced for years to come. If you wait for the other folks to update to "n", you'll probably pay less than half of what it costs you now.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 17:37   #454
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Cable for that little antenna or another type that sends the whole thing up?
You want a passive 15' USB cable like This One or use the 6' cable that comes with the EUB362 and add an active cable.

Just screw the antenna directly to the adapter. The USB cable goes to the adapter. If you want to change to a high gain antenna you'll want a short coax cable with an N-male connector for the antenna and an RP-SMA male connector for the adapter like this one.
Old 19-01-2010, 18:24   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
You want a passive 15' USB cable like This One or use the 6' cable that comes with the EUB362 and add an active cable.

Just screw the antenna directly to the adapter. The USB cable goes to the adapter. If you want to change to a high gain antenna you'll want a short coax cable with an N-male connector for the antenna and an RP-SMA male connector for the adapter like this one.
OK,
I won't ask the difference between the two cables above. I assume the active is better because it is more and will have power = better.

Thanks.
Old 20-01-2010, 06:23   #456

I just upgraded my Bullet M 2HP to the Air OS 5.1 firmware and it does legacy just fine. I like the GUI better too as they have put the tools in a pull down menu that's on every menu tab (page). The upgrade process was simple and straight forward. Speed and power appear to be comparable to the 2HP.

I bought this unit as a spare for our 2HP and I'm already going to deploy it without leaving the dock because I think I fried our 2HP. Note to self... Don't install RJ45 connectors at the mast head from a bosons seat if you can avoid it!

Once we are out there and I have more spare time I'll try and put together a tutorial for out of the box configuration of the M2HP with screen caps. Unless one of you guys beats me to the punch.

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 06:37   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by captfolly View Post

end of my 2 cents worth!

fair winds,

George
Man! I got a dollar fifty out of that 2 centavos! Thanks

George
Old 20-01-2010, 11:43   #458

Boat: beneteau 423
My system should be arriving tomoorow- bullet 2HP based, as a result of the advice Ive received on here. Thanyou to all. Fot those who remember my posts- I'm even getting an injector!
However. Antennas. IS there really a difference between antennas costing £20 and £90? I'm going for 8db as i'm using it on a monohull. So-any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially if anybody knows of any UK outlets as that's where I'm living at present.
thanks to all
bryan
bryan and wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 20:55   #459

Boat: Which one?
10 miles was no problem but the main difference was I had both ends. One was setup on land with a high speed connection and the other was on the quarter boat.

I set one up using aeronet but that was some time back. Linksys routers will work just as well now. As stated the coax needs to be short. That's why mine was a router in an enclosure that went up on the tower. This keeps the coax very short. The power and network cable run from the computer. The antenna was a Yagi directional and the control was a radio shack tv antenna controller.

The land tower was 60' and the spud tower on the barge was about 40'. Line of sight is critical. Other than line of sight the atmosphere is a limiting factor.

A dish type antenna is better than a yagi but it depends on the distance you need.

1 watt works 11,000 miles without a problem but that's from ground to space.

Now I use a print / game server device that has an external connection for the directional antenna. Works good for connecting to local wifi but 5 miles is not possible with the antenna I have. A dish would need to be added I think.

Bring me another noggin of rum, now, matey!
DaveyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 02:39   #460

Boat: Comar Comet 11
Hi Folks,
I use a Ubiquity Bullet setup. The Bullet attaches directly to the ariel so there's no loss between router and PC (via cat5 ethernet cable POE). I can swap the Bullet to either a 18db directional ariel or my 15db omni, as suits, quite easily. I bought mine in the UK but they're a US company.

Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. - Products

As mentioned above, 5 miles is a bit optomistic! However I've had 2.5 miles out of the Bullet. They are alot cheaper than $400!

www.WiFi-stock.com - UBIQUITI BULLET2 - WiFi Networking products at lowest prices in Europe

http://freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.p...5&hilit=bullet

Crispin.
sy-revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 05:33   #461

Hi Crispin,

Was wondering if you are a member of our board over at Freedomyachts.org or just found us googling?

George
Old 25-01-2010, 06:17   #462

Boat: Comar Comet 11
No, just found you googling, it was that article that put me on to the Bullet2........
sy-revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 06:05   #463

I just purchased and installed the package available from Bob at Island Time and I've got to say that I am impressed. Everything was quite easy to install and get up and running. At 288 dollars for everything including the optional wireless router, it's quite a deal. Bob's instructions are quite clear and concise. Once again, in my opinion, it's quite a deal.
unknown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:33   #464

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I know this is kind of old, but I am about to set this up myself, but I am unfamiliar with these connectors. Will this antenna work with the Bullet?
2.4GHZ RUBBER DUCK OMNI, 9DBI RP-TNC

Does TNC mean "Type N Connection"?

Thanks.
Heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 14:55   #465

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Well, I am writing this from the middle of Roche Harbor using the Wirie. It is as simple as plug and play.

I would buy it again.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote