Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 20-07-2011, 14:53   #901

Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Does anybody know if this thread is the longest lived on CF? iT has very long legs
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 15:15   #902

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Okay, this is funny They did NOT accept me as member on the Cruisers Wiki ROFL. They must either know me well from CF to not want me there, or they are just clueless

ciao!
Nick.
That's bizarre! I notice a photo there by Geoff Shultz. I'm not sure if he's running that wiki or not but he and I are co-creators and admin at the FreedomYachts.org • Index page forum. I'll ping him and see if I can find out what's up.

George
Old 20-07-2011, 15:39   #903

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Okay, this is funny They did NOT accept me as member on the Cruisers Wiki ROFL. They must either know me well from CF to not want me there, or they are just clueless

ciao!
Nick.
I always suspected you were no good!

By the way Nick..... I have a question

Extemp.
Old 20-07-2011, 15:41   #904

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Does anybody know if this thread is the longest lived on CF? iT has very long legs
I don't think it's even close.

Extemp.
Old 20-07-2011, 15:46   #905
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Your reputation proceeds you!
Exactly... I'm happy that my editing on Wikipedia is done under another name and nobody knows which

The thing is that articles like Wifi aboard boats do not qualify for Wikipedia. But I also have a blog with nice categorized archives so I'll publish it there myself instead of helping that cruisers wiki

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 15:48   #906

Boat: Bruno and Stillman 42' Workboat

Within 30 minutes of reading this thread and others here on CF, I not only gleaned the information needed to select a long-range wifi device based on its form factor, I was able to determine the exact parts needed to assemble one.

After contemplating USB devices vs. Ethernet devices, I chose Ethernet primarily due the fact of a lack of appreciable signal loss in the cabling. The user-ready USB long-range systems are ultra-simple and have many satisfied users, but in my opinion, the Ethernet devices offer professional quality/design and a higher level of utility, especially for permanent installations (for those who can deal with the technology).

After ordering and receiving all parts, I was able to assemble and place a Bullet based device into operation in a very short period of time. The configuration process was a little tricky, but once I found the correct online info sources it went smoothly. The longest part of the process was building the PVC container in which to house the Bullet (for weatherproofing). I am amazed at the effectiveness of this new tool and will be testing it further on an upcoming trip to Abaco...and I'm sure I will be tweaking it further to better its effectiveness.

The final price for all parts to build my Bullet based device was roughly 160.00 USD. All things considered, the ready-made Bullet type devices were priced very reasonably (from some vendors), but I like making things so I went with the DIY route. If I wasn't the type to make and fix my own things, I would not have hesitated to purchase a ready-made Bullet based marine system from one of the well known vendors. On the other hand, I don't think the pricing of the USB-based marine systems are in line with the cost of materials vs. retail price. The markup is a turn-off. Granted, you get paid for what you know, and good customer service is invaluable when needed, but I for one am tired of paying a premium for the "marine" label.

I apologize for running on with a message in an already packed thread, but I was so grateful and enthused for getting the info and advice here on CF that I wanted to try and contribute a little if I could. Of course my solutions and ideas work for me and might not for others...

Many thanks to all who contributed to the thread.

Cheers,
17' Boston Whaler Montauk
"only those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly'
RV Daring Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 15:52   #907

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
The Joke Thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead-10204.html beats it by a year or so but we can try to beat the number of replies... there might be other big ones though...

ciao!
Nick.
Old 22-07-2011, 08:27   #908
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Daring Game View Post
After contemplating USB devices vs. Ethernet devices, I chose Ethernet primarily due the fact of a lack of appreciable signal loss in the cabling.
Ethernet and USB cables have the same amount of loss, none.

Coax cable has signal loss.
Old 23-07-2011, 13:32   #909

Boat: 1988 Heritage East Sundeck 36'

I am interested in putting together the same wifi antenna system you are having favorable results with. Currently have the WaveRV system but it is giving up on me. However, going to the Engenius website is quite confusing. Please advise where you obtained the components required. A list of those items would also be great. Thanks.
moonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 13:36   #910

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltym View Post
Ethernet and USB cables have the same amount of loss, none.
Sort of -- USB has length limits that require active repeaters to extend. Ethernet is not going to have any length limit that is relevant to a recreational boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchaser View Post
Please advise where you obtained the components required. A list of those items would also be great.
May I suggest you look at one of the Ubiquiti Bullet-based systems from wififorboats.com, islandtimepc.com, or Rogue Wave? The small premium over the cost of components pays for everything coming in a box and known to work.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 13:48   #911
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

May I suggest you look at one of the Ubiquiti Bullet-based systems from wififorboats.com, islandtimepc.com, or Rogue Wave? The small premium over the cost of components pays for everything coming in a box and known to work.
+1 and a shameless plug for Bob at Islandtime. He had a lot of patience with my stupid questions
Old 23-07-2011, 14:20   #912

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
+1 and a shameless plug for Bob at Islandtime. He had a lot of patience with my stupid questions
I'll add my plug. Bob has earned a great reputation for a reason.

George
Old 25-07-2011, 08:56   #913
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Sort of -- USB has length limits that require active repeaters to extend.
My statement was about signal loss, not cable length as you refer to.

There is no "sort of", Ethernet and USB cables both have 0 signal loss. They both use digital signals to carry data, there is no signal loss (there are errors, but not signal loss). Coax has signal loss because its an analog transmission from a radio to an antenna.

Active "repeaters" have nothing to do with signal loss or boosting signal. They have to do with working within the bounds of the timing specification in USB.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but want to make sure things are stated accurately for people to understand.

USB cables have to use special cables every 5M in length ("Active Extension Cable"). There is a junction at every 5M as well. Ethernet cables can be manufactured in the desired length needed, with no junctions, and "phone-jack" style terminals on each end (with special crimping tools these can be manufactured yourself). DC Electrical cable can be extended to any length needed and requires no special tools to modify if needed.

All 3 options for a WiFi system contain 0 signal loss.

At least I think we all agree coax should not be used .
Old 25-07-2011, 14:34   #914

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltym View Post
My statement was about signal loss, not cable length as you refer to..
True and entirely correct. My intent was to address what is a big deal for a lot of people on boats, particularly sailboats, which is the implications of running a cable. As you note, running coax at microwave frequencies (like wifi) has basically unacceptable signal loss unless you use wave guide, which isn't going to happen on a boat.

"Active" USB cables that allow exceeding the 5(ish) meter limit means power draw and connectors, both of which are better avoided if possible.

Ethernet-based systems are much more straightforward, less prone to degradation once installed, and widely supported.

I apologize for the lack of clarity in my previous post.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 20:10   #915

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No signal loss in USB or Ethernet cables? Cool, we'll be very rich very soon then We can use it to produce superconducting electromagnets.

Of course we agree that coax is bad. It's not only the length; also the ageing process and the insertion loss of connectors that degrade our radio signal. Let's not start comparing losses in RF signal paths between the "non-coax" products (they all have coax, connectors or stripline feeds internally).

Ethernet twisted pair cabling was designed to span the kind of distances (up to 100 meters) we want to use on boats. USB was designed to span a couple of feet between computer and keyboard, mouse etc. with a maximum of 5 meters. Going beyond 5 meters is not how it's meant to be used and needs "tricks". The active USB repeaters are a pain and they all use USB power which we don't have to spare because the high power radio needs it all and our laptops often can't supply that much on their USB ports.

ciao!
Nick.