Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 17:16   #976

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I agree, and I don't think there will be open wifi around forever to justify spending any more on a booster than is necessary.

Cheers
Open or not, decent WIFI reception is going to matter more and more in the future. A great deal of marinas are now seeing WIFI as important as power and water but with all those boats around, with wire standing rigging, huge alloy masts, etc, etc. reception can still be troublesome.

On my last boat, I was on the same pier as the marina's WIFI transmitter and I couldn't get a signal! That's why I got myself a booster in the first place. In these situations, a directional unit would be ideal.

However, for my present boat, i'm sticking with the omni directional for use at anchor.

A final point to add is that in this day and age, having your boat already wired up with a decent WIFI booster is going to be a BIG selling point. Remember, even dedicated sailors spend more time tied up than at sea and being able to simply plug in and have internet radio, tv, email, skype, etc. is a big plus.
Old 10-08-2011, 17:55   #977

+1 on Nick's Nanostation. 90 degree horizontal beam width is conservative. Beyond that you get signal fall off but it's still better signal strength than a Bullet with an omni antenna until I get beyond 120 degree "swing" (e.g. 60 degrees off target).

It's also considerably more compact than a Bullet with an antenna. Mine isn't even permanently installed. I shock cord it to whichever side of the mizzen mast is facing land.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 22:09   #978

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Open or not, decent WIFI reception is going to matter more and more in the future. A great deal of marinas are now seeing WIFI as important as power and water but with all those boats around, with wire standing rigging, huge alloy masts, etc, etc. reception can still be troublesome.

On my last boat, I was on the same pier as the marina's WIFI transmitter and I couldn't get a signal! That's why I got myself a booster in the first place. In these situations, a directional unit would be ideal.

However, for my present boat, i'm sticking with the omni directional for use at anchor.

A final point to add is that in this day and age, having your boat already wired up with a decent WIFI booster is going to be a BIG selling point. Remember, even dedicated sailors spend more time tied up than at sea and being able to simply plug in and have internet radio, tv, email, skype, etc. is a big plus.
I never said getting a booster was a waste, I said spending more than $40-$50 was. I've never had a problem getting "local" wifi with the gear in my PC, and I don't usually have any problem with my Alfa from a reasonable distance. I don't have a need to pull in wifi from 5 miles.

Cheers.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:51   #979

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I never said getting a booster was a waste, I said spending more than $40-$50 was. I've never had a problem getting "local" wifi with the gear in my PC, and I don't usually have any problem with my Alfa from a reasonable distance. I don't have a need to pull in wifi from 5 miles.
Cheers.
Quite true about the need for "5 miles". The longest distance I have been successful at was off Hog Island in Grenada with the server being 0.8 nm away on Lance Aux Epines. Both the WaveRV/Capwifi and my Alpa both had no problem reaching out and getting a good connection.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49   #980

Boat: S&S design centercockpit 38, bluewater cruiser

Hello, can any of these wi-fi boost ideas be used on the ipad2, wi-fi? Or anyone know of an offshore boost idea for the ipad wi-fi only?

Thanks
trimming out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:04   #981

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Quite true about the need for "5 miles". The longest distance I have been successful at was off Hog Island in Grenada with the server being 0.8 nm away on Lance Aux Epines. Both the WaveRV/Capwifi and my Alpa both had no problem reaching out and getting a good connection.
I've had times when the only viable option was 5 miles away. The masthead bullet turned the trick. But most of the time our connections have been within 2 miles.

George
Old 11-08-2011, 11:35   #982

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

5 miles is an awful long way. Even my measured on a chart 0.8nm looks like miles away. Considering that the visible horizon at sea level from the cockpit of sailing boat is 3.25 nm away, for 5 nm the server antenna would have to be rather high up off the ground. But anyway whatever works is what you need regardless of the advertised range.

- - As to an external antenna for an Ipad see: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34   #983
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

For the iPad or any other Wifi enabled device, you use the long range radio plus a local Wifi AP like described in this thread a couple of times. There's both a solution using Ubiquity and Alfa gear.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 13:11   #984
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimming out View Post
Hello, can any of these wi-fi boost ideas be used on the ipad2, wi-fi? Or anyone know of an offshore boost idea for the ipad wi-fi only?

Thanks
I use the whole set-up from IslandtimePC for my iPad. Antenna and transmitter sit on the first spreader, router is behind my electric panel. iPad works anywhere on the boat.
Old 11-08-2011, 13:14   #985

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
5 miles is an awful long way. Even my measured on a chart 0.8nm looks like miles away. Considering that the visible horizon at sea level from the cockpit of sailing boat is 3.25 nm away, for 5 nm the server antenna would have to be rather high up off the ground. But anyway whatever works is what you need regardless of the advertised range.

- - As to an external antenna for an Ipad see: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Indeed 5 miles is a long way. Like from Capt Hirams to Sebastian Inlet Marina. And they must have their router on top of their dry stack building. That one we could get from cockpit level with the cantana from time to time but most times we have had the long reach have been with the mast head antenna. There were also several places in the Bahamas that must have had powerful gear that was intended for braud coverage and when the SSID is the name of the Cay it pretty much lets you know where it's coming from! There's one part of the bay between here and Norfolk that we get coverage for 15 miles or so with the nearest land nearly 3 miles. In places where there is a lot of noise (like Marsh Harbor) your chances of getting the long shot go way down. But just outside of Marsh Harbor we could sometimes use a signal coming from Scotland Cay, right around 5-6 miles.

George
Old 11-08-2011, 13:31   #986
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Routinely get signal in the Marquessas off Key West... about 10 miles over water from a comm’l WiFi company with an antenna on top of a hotel
Old 11-08-2011, 17:55   #987

Boat: S&S design centercockpit 38, bluewater cruiser

Thanks for the lead on the ipad use.
trimming out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:08   #988

Boat: Amel 54
Thumbs up Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

I installed the Island Time booster in May and picked up about 24 signals. It boosts the local marina signal from 1 bar strength to max 4 bar strength. I have it currently sitting on a spreader and plugged into an Apple Airport which sends max strength wireless signal through the boat and to surrounding boats, the surrounding boats comment that my boat signal is strong. I run up to 3 computers at once.
Very good product and excellent after sales service from the supplier.
Bazzas Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 15:36   #989

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboatguy View Post
Well, after reading (partially) this thread, I think I'm going with this Alfa UDBo-nt8 unit (this seller says 2w power, but it's 1w, just because of that I'll probably buy it somewhere else) It's not the same one you posted, but an b/g/n model with 1w power and 12dbi built in directional antenna.

I'd rather have the option to change out the antenna, but for a weather resistant 1w all-in-one unit, you can't beat the $40 price That and I've been happy with my alfa usb stick so far, just not powerful enough...
Old 12-08-2011, 17:10   #990

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Well, after reading (partially) this thread, I think I'm going with this Alfa UDBo-nt8 unit (this seller says 2w power, but it's 1w, just because of that I'll probably buy it somewhere else) It's not the same one you posted, but an b/g/n model with 1w power and 12dbi built in directional antenna.

I'd rather have the option to change out the antenna, but for a weather resistant 1w all-in-one unit, you can't beat the $40 price That and I've been happy with my alfa usb stick so far, just not powerful enough...
Cool beans, I'll be interested to know how you like it. BTW I have had one very bad experience with that seller myself. I finally got a full refund but I should not have had to fight for it.

George