Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 06:48   #1216

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett View Post
.. Summer, if you we're doing your install now would you go for the titanium M5? Why/why not?

Paul
s/v Dafne
If we were a full time cruiser in salt water I'd take a hard look at it. Our radio has now been on one boat or the other in the weather for 2 1/2 years with no problems. I'm using it now to respond to this. Of note though is that the radio has only been out on the water (salt) for only 3 months of that time the rest of the time the boat has been on stands in the yard.

The radios are not that expensive so we bought a spare but it is still in the box. If I was buying right now I might look at the M over the 2HP and might switch at some point in the future if it looks beneficial. From what the others are saying it might be the way to go at this point,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 07:09   #1217
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
If I was buying right now I might look at the M over the 2HP and might switch at some point in the future if it looks beneficial. From what the others are saying it might be the way to go at this point, Sum
The M series has twice the CPU speed and double the memory. This allows the firmware to handle all the "auto" functions faster and better than Ubiquiti"s legacy hardware. I can't think of any benefit to running the older hardware over the newer and since the cost is essentially the same you are better off buying M series gear whether you go for the standard or Titanium series. Just my opinion after using and supporting both.
Old 18-04-2013, 07:30   #1218

Boat: Catalina 470

Just some more data / recommendations for those looking at the myriad of choices of products / hucksters selling them....

I'm not an IT guy....but I am an RF guy....
And, I've been using a Bullet 2HP (legacy or "M", I'm not sure, but I think legacy) for a couple years and find it to work very well....no issues at all...

When I went looking for a better Wi-Fi solution (better than my Alfa unit), I chose Island Times PC's Bullet-based system.....and have been happy with that choice now for ~ 2 years!!!
Bob is a great guy, and was always patient/helpful with my questions....and everything worked as stated!!!
(I have even bought some other Ubiquity products from Bob, for use on-shore by some clients of mine....and all has worked very well...)

For those of you non-IT guys, do yourself a favor and buy a system that works perfectly right out-of-the-box....Bob at island Time PC will take good care of you....
Marine WiFi Systems

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 14:10   #1219
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
[...]do yourself a favor and buy a system that works perfectly right out-of-the-box....Bob at island Time PC will take good care of you....
Do you get paid for these commercials?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 14:18   #1220

Boat: Catalina 470

Nick,
No, I don't...
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Do you get paid for these commercials?
I'm just a fellow sailor/voyager/cruiser who found a nice, honest guy to do business with....and thought I'd pass it on to those who don't wish to re-invent the wheel, etc...

I know (and so do you) that you can piece together a system cheaper, but I've chosen to let someone with more knowledge/expertise piece it together for me, and then I install it.....
(now if we were talking RF/Antenna design/etc. then I'd be the one piecing things together....

Just my thoughts, based on my experiences....
Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 14:29   #1221

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No worries, I agree Bob is a great guy selling solid gear. Try a NanoStation M2loco on your boat and you'll add it to your gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Nick,
No, I don't... I'm just a fellow sailor/voyager/cruiser who found a nice, honest guy to do business with....and thought I'd pass it on to those who don't wish to re-invent the wheel, etc...

I know (and so do you) that you can piece together a system cheaper, but I've chosen to let someone with more knowledge/expertise piece it together for me, and then I install it.....
(now if we were talking RF/Antenna design/etc. then I'd be the one piecing things together....

Just my thoughts, based on my experiences....
Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 21-04-2013, 20:03   #1222

Boat: Lagoon 500

Folks,

Thanks for clearing up the 2.4 ghz v 5 ghz question for me. I went with the M2 Titanium, and will let you know how it performs post install.

Once I have internet sitting in an ethernet cable in my boat, any suggestions for broadcast locally to my devices? Will any old wifi router work? Or, does anyone have a suggestion for something that works particularly well with a ubiquity system?

Paul
paulbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 20:16   #1223

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Folks,

Thanks for clearing up the 2.4 ghz v 5 ghz question for me. I went with the M2 Titanium, and will let you know how it performs post install.

Once I have internet sitting in an ethernet cable in my boat, any suggestions for broadcast locally to my devices? Will any old wifi router work? Or, does anyone have a suggestion for something that works particularly well with a ubiquity system?

Paul
Excellent choice, that M2 in titanium. If there is one piece of advice I can give you for it, it is to mark which connector part is still part of the Bullet: this seems obvious until you connect it to some antennas or coax cables and it gets stuck a bit.

The best router to connect to the Bullet for local access is the Apple Airport Extreme if you have devices that support 5GHz wifi and others that do not. This router works well with any gadget/smartphone/laptop/tablet etc.
Connect the LAN port of the Bullet power injector to the WAN port of the Apple router; then in the config for "routing mode" select "none, bridge only". This makes it just the wifi access for the Bullet which acts as the router like it does already.

Not many routers can do the above trick. In that case, disable all features like DHCP, DNS etc. and then connect the Bullet not to the WAN, but to the LAN port. This fools them into doing the same: just an access bridge to the Bullet.
Old 22-04-2013, 07:03   #1224
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

I don't disagree with Nicks suggestion of the Apple Airport extreme or his setup suggestion but the Airport is a pricey item when actually any old router will work.

I usually look for a model that has an AC/DC power supply that puts out 12 volts. These will work fine directly of the ships power. Most Linksys/Cisco and Netgear use 12 volts along with some Engenius, TP-Link and others.

Whether a dual band would be useful depends on your wireless devices.
Old 22-04-2013, 07:58   #1225

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
I don't disagree with Nicks suggestion of the Apple Airport extreme or his setup suggestion but the Airport is a pricey item when actually any old router will work.

I usually look for a model that has an AC/DC power supply that puts out 12 volts. These will work fine directly of the ships power. Most Linksys/Cisco and Netgear use 12 volts along with some Engenius, TP-Link and others.

Whether a dual band would be useful depends on your wireless devices.
Yes, it depends on what you have. When this includes smart phones (Blackberry, iPhone, Andriod etc.), tablets like iPad or laptops, all these devices have power savings features for wifi that will trigger instability in most Linksys, TP-Link, D-link, Netgear etc. routers. Even if you test a device to work well, the next generation phones or tablets have new features on their wifi that creates trouble. Same for Ubiquity. But somehow, Apple is the only consumer class router that is immune to this, as are all the enterprise class routers ($500 and up). This must have to do with the higher price of the Airport Extreme.

If you don't care for all that, don't use high speed local stuff like streaming video, copying files, backup's over wifi, and want 12V powered, I would advice another Ubiquity for it's longevity: the Picostation M2. Great little unit and weatherproof too.
Old 22-04-2013, 08:39   #1226

We have been using...

.... a linksys WRT54GL router (top left arrow) .....

Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Broadband Router 802.11b/g 54Mbps - Newegg.com

.... for the past couple years running direct on 12 volts with no problems. We use it every day for our 2 computers and stream Netflix where we are now with no problems. It has been dependable. I'm sure there are other similar ones out there.

When we have the WiFi on, the router, 12v to 18 v DC POE and the Bullet 2 HP use about 1/2 amp total.

We don't have anything else connected to the router other than the computers. We do tether an android phone to the computer when we want to do banking as I don't trust any connection we are making via the Bullet,

Sum
Old 01-05-2013, 07:29   #1227

Boat: Lagoon 500
Thanks everyone. We use airport extremes in our business, so am comfortable with that. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't another specifically made for the ubiquiti. Now, I just have to find a Poe injector with 12v input. The one I ordered was 110 AC. Oops.

Thanks everyone for the advice/help.

Paul
paulbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 15:26   #1228

Quote:
Thanks everyone. We use airport extremes in our business, so am comfortable with that. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't another specifically made for the ubiquiti. Now, I just have to find a Poe injector with 12v input. The one I ordered was 110 AC. Oops.

Thanks everyone for the advice/help.

Paul

We used the one with 9-36 VDC in and 18 volt output from here...

The wireless stocking distributor that offers free technical support before, during, and after the sale.

Works fine.

Also bought our Cat5 cable from them...

The wireless stocking distributor that offers free technical support before, during, and after the sale.

and the Bullet.

I have a question regarding the Bullet 2HP vs the M 2HP. The power on the 2HP is rated at 1000 mw and 600 on the M. Is that going to make a difference? We run the 2HP, but in the future have thought about going to the M. Thanks,

Sum
Old 04-05-2013, 16:31   #1229

WIFI AND 3G router

Have a look at this beauty:

http://www.yachtrouter.com/Download/...20brochure.pdf

Internal WIFI (within the boat), external (to shore) and then add the 3G telephone network, all in one affordable package.
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 19:19   #1230
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Electronics from Croatia, apparently not certified for use in the US yet.

Interesting package, but by US standards also already obsolete, it just uses Wifi b/g and not n, which has been standard in the US for...3? 5? years now? Still would be nice, if it was available and at the right price.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote