Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2023, 16:10   #1

Boat: Morgan 323
Looking for input to decide on AIS transponder

OK, so we bought our first sailboat bigger than a dinghy, for coastal sailing. It's a Morgan 323, not that it really matters here. What does matter is that it came with a fairly new Raymarine Axiom+ chart plotter. Just the chart plotter, no network, backbone or any of that technobabble network stuff. We have the boat in Rockland, Maine, so there is fog (and lots of it this year). We want add radar and AIS quickly. I've pretty much decided on the Quantum2 for radar unless someone talks me out of it. Easy interface, etc. AIS is my dilemma; I want a transponder, not just a receiver. So there is the AIS700 from Raymarine; it appears that it does what it does and can send the info to the Axiom+ if I learn about the way to set up the Nema 2000 network and get the necessary bits and pieces. BUT then there is the Cortex V1, now owned by Garmin. I like the fact that it can be used to remote monitor sensors on the boat, can bluetooth to a phone (am I correct in assuming that it can put the data out on a network to the chartplotter AND sent it to an app on my phone? And see it on the 'mike' if I buy the version with one? And may work with the phone app if the chartplotter is off? It seems that it has a lot going for it. But a search in the history shows people not happy with the wireless handsets, trouble updating by bricking a unit, etc. My head is spinning trying to decide. Are any of you running an Axiom+ that can give me some insight as to how easy or hard to configure these are? It the last 2 weeks I've been in two West Marine stores, Defender, and a Hamilton marine: trying to get answers on compatibility is tough.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 16:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Re: Looking for input to decide on AIS transponder

We have a Vesper Cortex. It's a great piece of gear. Yes, we have had some issues with our unit and recently replaced by Garmin. The MMSI was remotely programmed.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 17:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
We have a Vesper Cortex. It's a great piece of gear. Yes, we have had some issues with our unit and recently replaced by Garmin. The MMSI was remotely programmed.
So your problems went away with a new unit? Can you share a few details on your network/chartplotter?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2023, 17:09   #4

Boat: Tartan 40

I use an em-trak B954 with an Axiom+ with great results.

HTH
Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 17:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krid2000 View Post
I use an em-trak B954 with an Axiom+ with great results.

HTH
Dirk
Now that's one I'm not familiar with; time for some more reading! Thank you!
Old 02-07-2023, 19:13   #6

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

I’m using a Cortex M1-USA for AIS. Will interface fine to any other chart plotter via NMEA2000 or 183. The app that connects to its built in WiFi takes some getting used to, but has some great features.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:44   #7

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large

When I bought my boat I installed new Raymarine Quantum Q24W, Camino 108 AIS, Raymarine 12RV chartplotter. This was a new installation, not an upgrade. At install I went with a stern rail antenna for the AIS and after the first season added a Camino 162 antenna splitter to allow the AIS and VHF to share the mast top antenna (16m up). Everything is on SeaTalk, including my autopilot.

The Camino works great and integrates just fine with the chartplotter. If I were doing all over, I’d go with the Camino 108S which has an integrated antenna splitter. I would recommend going with the splitter/mast top antenna for the AIS which as it will greatly increase the range compared to a stern rail mounted antenna. I can typically see AIS targets 10nm and more depending upon the AIS target (big ships have higher antennas).

I have found the radar increasingly useful as I have learned how to tune it and interpret the display. Even in choppy conditions I can see buoys with the radar before I can “see” them with naked eyes. Surprisingly sailing vessels also show up pretty reliably.

I don’t do any remote monitoring of the boat so that wasn’t any interest to me. This always leaves me pleasantly surprised when I get to the slip and the boat is still there and ready. ��
Sailer_Med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:33   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

I would not limit choices to just Raymarine and the Cortex, both rather expensive. The ability to connect to a chartplotter or connect to a phone to see AIS and NMEA data are common features on many AIS units.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:19   #9

We also have Emtrak and have found it a great piece of equipment. Interfaces well with CMAP and an iPad for back up charting.
uhtflogan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais