Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2020, 18:02   #1

Los Angeles Wifi Help

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and sailing but got the bug and am looking for a new boat. Before I can buy the boat I need to make sure I put the best wifi on it I can for use from Marina Del Rey.

I have read about the "ubiquiti bullet" and was wondering if that is still the best solution? I need to set it up with the max range from the marina as possible since I want to be out on the water but still be able to have internet. Not sure what the max range on these wifi extenders are and what antenna to buy to give me the maximum possible linear range.

Any suggestions on a full setup. I am fairly techie so configuring the router is no problem, it is mainly the hardware selection that I need help with right now.
lostinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 21:19   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Tanna 47
Re: Los Angeles Wifi Help

Why not just a LTE hotspot? Cell coverage in MdR and general, all of South Bay and coastal is pretty strong.
Sailor279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 21:50   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Los Angeles Wifi Help

If you are connecting to some standard shoreside WiFi access point then about the very best you can hope for is maybe one mile. A good antenna + booster on the boat helps, but you’re also dealing with the antenna on the shore installation that was designed to go 100 yards or less.

If you can control the shore end as well then it might be possible to get 5 to 10 miles with a high gain 120-degree sector antenna on shore pointed ~west and a high gain Omni on the boat. If you can get the height at both ends to keep a decent line-of-sight.

Unless that all sound like what you need the LTE solution suggested by Sailor279 is probably much more viable.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi