Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2021, 16:05   #1

Low EMF Internect solution needed.

I am was an electronics technician and now I am electrically sensitive.
I did not get it from work but spending too much time on my phone.
Using a cellphone in remote anchoring spots give me tingly fingers, brain fog and headaches.
I have Cornet ED85T Plus electrosmog meter which has been handy but now that seem to display too low readings.
Has anyone figured out a system which does not transmit next to your body.
Smartphones no longer have external antenna connection.
I have my Intel NUC computer which has Ubuntu Linux on it.
I used that in my van but not the most convenient to open that for a quick check of emails etc.
So I am wondering if I could have some sort of dongle up the mast and then that hardwired to my PC, tablet or cellphone?
Stellar1970Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 16:18   #2

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Low EMF Internect solution needed.

Whenever Starlink announces mobile service (any month now hopefully), you may care to check it out. Its dish uses a phased array, which transmits a highly directional beam up to the satellite at a minimum angle of 40° above horizontal.
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 17:57   #3

Boat: Hunter 38

The best approach is using a cellular booster/repeater like Weboost or Cel-Fi produce. Your cell handset communicates with the booster in low power mode. The repeater then re-transmits to the distant tower in high power mode. Plugging an external antenna into a handset would limit your mobility while using the handset for a call.

The booster/repeater can have an antenna that is mounted aloft and away from you.

Another alternative is to try a low power bluetooth headset and move the phone handset away from you. You can even hoist the phone aloft with a halyard for better line of sight to the tower. This approach can be a hassle and inconvenient if the weather is foul. Voice dialing makes it a little more tolerable. I can use Apple AirPods Pro bluetooth the full length and more on a 38ft monohull sailboat. Active noise cancellation is a plus too.

Good luck.
Kngunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 05:04   #4

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Probably anything you try may involve RF of some type. But there might be a solution in VoIP. It would take a little engineering to do, but I think it would be possible. The concept of theory would be to have a VoIP phone and your PC connected to a router and that router tethered to your phone (which will act as the "modem").

Might be something to think about. Do a search on VoIP and see if you can come up with a possible solution. Even try it at home with your cell phone and a router, or if needed, a small server.

JMHO
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 01:02   #5

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

You could use a MiFi hotspot (located outside but protected) to connect to the cell network for all of your data needs. You can get VoIP phone service from quite a number of providers and use your computer with an app to make and receive phone calls, and either use a speaker/microphone or a wired headset, and there will be no radiation originating near you. A BlueTooth headset (especially LE) will probably be fine but wired ends the concern. Your cell phone can connect to the MiFi with WiFi, which may be better than going direct. Also, if you are lucky enough to have a cell phone with a 3.5mm headphone jack then use a headphone and get that radio away from your brain. My new Pixel 5a 5G phone has a jack so they do still exist; if I had your problem I would definitely use a headset.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote