Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 18:55   #1

m710 to sea1635

Hi Folks,

I have a radio question from which the answer might be simple for you.
I have a icom m710 radio and a tuner sea1635.
The tuner is working. I can’t get the “tune” signal on de icom display work, and that’s my simple problem.
The tuner tunes on the output from the antenna that comes from the radio, so no separate start signal needed.
Besides the antenna and ground connections in the tuner there is a 3 pin connection. 12v + and – and one mystery pin more. This might be a standard for a lot of tuners.
On the radio I have, as you maybe know, 4 wires to connect to a tuner:
Black: ground
Red: 13,6v+
White: start output
Green: Key input
What do I have to connect to what to get the tuned flag??
There are also 2 small switches inside the radio that got to do with it.
One is s9: Supplys 8v when pushing TUNE / Grounded when pushing TUNE
One is S11: Accepts “LOW”as answer back / Accepts “HIGH”as answer back.
How do I set the micro switches?

Thank you very very much!!
Regards from Gambier French Polynesia. Yes, I need it to work here ;-) Mark.
Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 20:30   #2

Boat: 1984 Moody 27
Re: m710 to sea1635

SEA COM CORP.
7030 220th Street S.W.
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
Voice: (425) 771-2182 FAX: (425) 771-2650

seaservice@seacomcorp.com

I would send these guys your inquiry. There is very little documentation on the SEA 1635 that I could find.

The pinout for your M710 should be:

The switches are this:

You can also contact Icom to see if this feature is possible with the SEA 1635. Don't count on them supporting a 3rd party product. The indicators on the Icom unit are intended for use with Icom's products.

I know this was probably of little help to you. It sounds like you've already got the tuner working. Were I able to find any documentation on it I may have been more helpful.

There should be some indication of High SWR if that condition exists and likely a roll back of output power. I'm not real familiar with the M710, but the manual is available online for free download at icom's site.

Everything I found indicates that the "Tune" only works with Icom equipment.

If you find another solution, please post it so others may be able to get theirs working too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IcomM710 tuner pinout.png
Views:	398
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	137175   Click image for larger version

Name:	nonIcom selector pins.png
Views:	391
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	137176  

Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 15:17   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Mark,
back when SGC had good quality control, this topic came up quite often....but, unfortunately SGC's quality has fallen, and I don't know anyone who recommends them anymore, and haven't seen them recommended in years...
Now, you're saying..."hey, I'm asking about SEA, not SGC!"

Well, SEA tuners are for all intents and purposes the same as SGC tuners... (and SEA will tell you that the engineers at SGC copied their Stevens design....but, these guys went into competition with each other decades ago....and I'm not sure who was the "original" designer...but, that all moot to you anyway!)

So, using a SEA tuner with an Icom rig, is the same as using an SGC tuner with an Icom rig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark10 View Post
I have a radio question from which the answer might be simple for you.
I have a icom m710 radio and a tuner sea1635.
The tuner is working. I can’t get the “tune” signal on de icom display work, and that’s my simple problem.
The tuner tunes on the output from the antenna that comes from the radio, so no separate start signal needed.
Besides the antenna and ground connections in the tuner there is a 3 pin connection. 12v + and – and one mystery pin more. This might be a standard for a lot of tuners.
On the radio I have, as you maybe know, 4 wires to connect to a tuner:
Black: ground
Red: 13,6v+
White: start output
Green: Key input
What do I have to connect to what to get the tuned flag??
There are also 2 small switches inside the radio that got to do with it.
One is s9: Supplys 8v when pushing TUNE / Grounded when pushing TUNE
One is S11: Accepts “LOW”as answer back / Accepts “HIGH”as answer back.
How do I set the micro switches?

Thank you very very much!!
Regards from Gambier French Polynesia. Yes, I need it to work here ;-) Mark.
You won't get the "tuned flag" ("tuned" indicator) to illuminate at all...unless you add an interface, or make up a custom cable (not advisable)

And, you must leave the M-710 set-up to its factory defaults....configured to operate with Icom tuners!!!
Do not mess with the internal M-710 switches....they will be of no help to you here, and you could mess things up a bit!!

And, then basically you have three choices:
a) Just ignore the "tune" button and lack of tune indicator operation, and simply power 12vdc (nominal) to the SEA tuner....
When you apply 12vdc power to it, it's ready to tune....and when you apply RF power (anything from 2 watts to 150 watts) it will tune automatically...
No need to "tell it" anything...(and no indication that it did anything either!)

b) Use a "tuner interface" unit (made by a few different small companies, over the past 15 - 20 years), that plugs between the Icom radio's "tuner control jack" and an SGC or SEA tuner....
This allows full use of the "tune" button, etc. (where the radio is placed into CW transmit at 10 watts output, until the tuner attains a match/tune...and then turn the radio back to receive mode....and illuminates the Icom radio's "Tuned" indicator....)
These sell for about $40 to $60....
I've got one somewhere, it worked great! (used it for one summer on-board, when I had an SGC tuner, but the SGC tuner failed....and after fixing it, I relegated it to being my back-up, and went back to my AT-140!!!)

c) Make up a custom tuner cable, with a 1000uf cap and 91kohm res...and have the Icom radio's "Tune" button function, etc...

Here are the details:

http://www.sgcworld.com/smartuneric706technote.html

http://www.sgcworld.com/Publications...connecting.pdf

I'm not a fan of this, as depending on who makes up the cable/plug, you might have a risk of failure....and/or depending on what tuner you're using, and it's current draw, etc., you may also have a possibility of some internal issue with the Icom radio...

And, FYI....this "custom tuner cable/plug" system AND use of a "tuner interface box" (above in "a"), work for all modern Icom HF Marine radios (M-700, M-700Pro, M-710, M-802, etc.) and most legacy Icom HF ham rigs (IC-706, 725, 735, 746, 756, etc. etc. etc...)...

But, note that SOME Icom ham rigs (IC-7000, and I think the 7100, etc.) use a different arrangement, and will be damaged if you tried to use this approach with them!!

I hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 00:51   #4

Thank you very much.

I just go without the flag! There is so much in life we don't know so this little thing i can handle.
Funny about the sgc tuner and that it is the same as the sea. Maybe thats why sea don't have a manual from it online.
I have also a sgc-2000 "power talk head" here. But i use the icom because of its simplicity. i think the sgc2000 might be a better radio. I am not a HAM but i am happy sailmailer.

Is there a manual from the sgc tuner you mentioned? Can you give me a type number or something?

SEA gives no reply to email.

Regards, Mark.
Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote