Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2009, 06:18   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
This is interesting to know. We use Mac iBook and Mac Book Pro but with their batteries.

Apple has told us that there is no way they can be linked to a 12V power supply -unless one uses an inverter.

How do you power your Macs on board?

Thanks
yup. via an inverter

It's about as easy as it gets

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 20:53   #17

Location: Mostly on the boat. Occasionally at our condo in Port St Lucie, FL.
Boat: Manta 42 Sailcat -Toucan Dream
I've found you can marinize almost any computer by taking disassembling it and removing all connections. Spray them with Boeshield T-9 and put everything back together. Then spray the connections again. I've had computers in use continuously for years this way and no problems. Before I started doing this they start having problems after a year or so even if inside the salon.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Chris
SV Toucan Dream
chris blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 20:14   #18

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
another idea

Golden Shellback | Splash Proof Coatings

You will not believe it! I want to send my blackberry there today!

They have a ipod playing under water.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 22:05   #19

WINE for Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
Try VM Fusion for running Windows on any Mac. You don't have to close down your whole Mac system like you do with Bootcamp. It's cheap and works fantastically well. I use it on my iMac and MacBook Pro.

Mike
Crossover is WINE for Mac. It allows much Win Soft to run well; but check your favourite pieces on the website, first, for compatibility: real, alleged and imagined. Its strong point is that Windows virii run off into UNIX deadends, where they starve or get tortured.

Like most solutions besides BootCamp: you can Copy —> Paste from Win <—> Mac There being no mice...
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 22:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter34 View Post
Keep in mind that the new Mac Mini will run Windows XP. There is a a regulated 12 volt power supply available from carnetix.com. Haven't found the perfect screen yet. Plan on installing it on our boat when finished.
Dan
Carnetix needs testing: with and without protective sprays and devices. It matches 12V DC to the Mac Mini. Screen voltages will be another ? There are several carnetix-s for various sets of voltages.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:49   #21

Boat: Swanson 38" 'SWANSONG 1'
On board computers

The MacBook Pro is working well with a 'pure sine wave' inverter (a perfected form of a device that converts direct current in alternating current) and boat batteries.

As to the Chart Plotter such as Raymarine A70D, it can be useful to use it at home, with a transformer, and special cable.

One can take time and learn how to properly operate it via the inbuilt simulator.

Paolo
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:46   #22

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
We use them as our publicly accessible computers at work. I like the ease of going from Windows to OS easily. However, I think Mack makes some very good points about why to consider a lap top instead.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:33   #23

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Not mentioned about McBook is the availability of a (2 different sizes) solid state hard drives. No moving parts, and you can bump the memory to unlimited with external conventional hard drives. They are really inexpensive now, wish I could say that about the McBook set up the way I want it.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:51   #24

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
The Mac Mini isn't a bad computer by any means, but you're definitely paying for looks, size and brand versus speed. Ten years ago Apple systems did have a big advantage when it came to graphic design software, but at this point both Windows and Apple have very comparable utilities that come packaged with the operating systems and 99 percent of third-party specialized software like Adobe Photoshop is available for either operating system and works the same way on both.

If you're just a casual user and don't plan to be doing any high-definition video editing (which the Mini would have a helluva time doing anyway), I'd say just go with a cheap PC-based laptop or even a netbook.

Laptops use far less power, and they have a built-in battery backup. The newer 10" ASUS netbooks that run about $400 are boasting a battery life of up to 10 hours these days. They can be moved around the cabin or closed and stowed in seconds. If you want a bigger screen for watching movies, most have a plug for that. Then you'd only have to run the power-hungry screen every once in a while.

The laptops/netbooks with solid state drives also add reliability because there's no moving parts to wear out. Some notebooks and portable hard drives have a drop-detection system in them, which stops the hard drive from spinning when it senses a fall, so that it reduces the chance of damage. Of course, this shuts off your computer. In stormy, choppy waters, I don't know what it would take to cause this, but it might be another reason to go with solid state.

All of them will do word-processing and Internet surfing at about the same speed. A netbook is going to be a little slower with photo editing, but most dual-core laptops and the mini should run about the same speed for that.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 16:55   #25

Kensington power adapters for mac laptops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
This is interesting to know. We use Mac iBook and Mac Book Pro but with their batteries.

Apple has told us that there is no way they can be linked to a 12V power supply -unless one uses an inverter.

How do you power your Macs on board?

Thanks
Try this link for the new magsafe hack. A solution for MagSafe in the car | The Apple Core | ZDNet.com
danhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 17:18   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
I use an inverter.
Inkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:35   #27

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Mac Mini's are Money.....

.....and they know it.

We bought the MIL a mini for Christmas last year. She was a Mac virgin, but we'd talked her up about them enough that she wanted to try them out. Now she can't stand her PC laptop, and loves her mini. But then, what else can you expect.

Minis are compact and can do pretty much what you need for normal applications. Easy to store.....a lot of pluses.

But if it was me, I'd get a nice IMac with wireless mouse and keyboard, take off the stand and mount it on a bulkhead. But that's only because you can get more powerful processing, bigger hard drives, and more RAM in an IMac than a Mac mini. Since I like to store music and videos on my computer, not to mention I love the occasional computer game, I'd prefer that greater power.
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 18:46   #28

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
Hi All we have been using Mini Macs on board for several years now running Windoze XP native with out the least problem. I will not go into all the headaches I had with Windblows machines before. There are two ways to power the little things one is to buy a 12V DC power supply at the local computer shop. Yeah Mac says no but they work great. The other is a small inverter that costs peanuts and consumes nothing I have both I can't say enough about the Bluetooth keyboard and wireless mouse Saves a lot of mess on the chart table so well worth the cost .
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computers, desktop