Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 08:16   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Magnetic switch on Simpson Davit

Hello learned Forum. I have a pair of Series 7 Simpson Davits on my Hylas 54. One of the Davits will suddenly only go down, not up. I think the magnetic safety switch at the head of the Davit is faulty. This would normally be activated by a magnet on the end of the Davit wire to prevent over tightening of the line pulling up the dinghy. But it must be stuck in the closed (activated) position. I have tried gently banging the switch and activating it with a magnet. No use. So I want to replace the magnetic switch. No luck contacting the Simpson guys in the UK as they seem to all be attending serial boat shows. Does anyone know if I can just get a generic 12 v magnetic switch. Or will it need to have specific operational parameters? There are some on line that seem to have identical dimensions but they are intended for home window/door alarm systems. Will they work?
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 08:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Magnetic switch on Simpson Davit

Here are just about all the magnetic switches currently on the market. One route is to pull yours off and see it you can match it within the collection.

When you pull it off, I suggest that you confirm that it's in the closed position and that that is indeed the problem before you start throwing money at it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/magnetic-switches/