Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2006, 13:56   #1

Maptech buys The Capn

Just noticed on TheCapn's website the following announcement:
The Capn and Maptech Join Forces!

We are very pleased to announce that Maptech and the Capn have joined forces. In April 2006, Maptech acquired the Capn software, and Dennis Mills (the "Capn" himself) has joined the Maptech Team as Product Manager. This brings together two of the oldest and finest names in marine navigation software.

Those of you who are recreational Capn users should expect a seamless continuation of the superior functionality and great value you have come to expect. But with the added benefit of the best customer support in the boating industry from Maptech!

Those of you who are commercial Capn users should expect to see new customized functionality for your specific navigation needs, as well as simpler and more flexible organization-wide licensing. All of this plus our commitment to providing you with the most up-to-date official government charts available.

We are committed to making your navigation experience productive, safe and enjoyable. Please call our customer support professionals at 888-839-5551 if you have any questions.

Thank you for your patronage,

Bill Schleicher,
President and CEO, Maptech Inc.

Dennis Mills,
The Cap'n Product Manager

I just took advantage of their pretty good deal to upgrade to the TheCapn from Firstmate for $99.
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 14:28   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Thanks Curtis. I've got an old Capn program and will definitely check out MapTech's interface. Regards, --John--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 15:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Looks like buying the competition.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 13:27   #4

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures
I had an old (somewhere around 5.0 or such) version of Cap'n Voyager and was able to FREE upgrade to Cap'n Voyager Mosaic download and patch! Then using the free downloads on MapTech, got all new NOAA charts that work just fine. That and a $79 (with shipping) 'mouse gps usb' receiver and I have a fine laptop chartplotter. I have a 200GB external drive for storing all these charts which are quite space intensive, but I also have 10,000 mp3's on there to play through some nice speakers. All good stuff, especially the mouse gps on the usb panel.

http://www.buygpsnow.com/Search.aspx...=usb+mouse+gps

Nice gps, strong receiver and FAST!!!!

Tags
maptech