Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2022, 13:20   #16

Re: Marina wifi help

Simple just use your cell phones to access the internet. You probably have 5G in Monterey, California. Connect your devices by wifi or bluetooth to your phone.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 13:55   #17
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

there are sometimes public WIFI options available like XFINITY that you could pay monthly. as long as you use HTTPS you will be secure.
Old 15-06-2022, 14:02   #18

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We had similar issues in a marina where the wifi was good but hard to stay connected (note the above response advising that the quality of the wifi needs to be checked close to the source before implementing some kind of range extender). We bought a Mikrotik system and it solved the problem. With this approach a boat specific network is created and can support multiple devices at once. We bought both the antenna and the router for less than $200. They are now a bit more expensive but still less than Ubquiti. The downside of Mikrotik is that they are very user unfriendly from a software setup perspective but once running everything is easy. Ubiquiti is apparently easier to set up but more expensive.

The following are updated versions of what we have. Presumably faster etc and definitely more expensive.

The antenna: https://www.amazon.ca/Mikrotik-Groov...s%2C108&sr=8-7

The router: https://www.amazon.ca/Mikrotik-RB951...144ESOSM&psc=1

A big advantage of this system for boats is that it uses POE to feed the antenna from the router and the router can use 12V via a cigarette plug adaptor. It also has a 120V adaptor if the boat is plugged into the dock. Meaning that it will work in an anchorage and pick up free wifi from local businesses that provide such a thing.

Once up and running our system works very well but installation (the software setup), as noted above, is not intuitive and required skilled technical assistance. Our son is an electrical engineer and was able to set it up and provide a cheat sheet that helps if we move to a different location or the marina changes its password. Setting up the hardware is super simple. I had a custom cable made that is long enough to run the antenna (ethernet connectors - very cheap) up a shroud. We can stream movies etc whereas previously, staying connected to send and receive email was a challenge.
Old 15-06-2022, 14:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
... The downside of Mikrotik is that they are very user unfriendly from a software setup perspective but once running everything is easy. Ubiquiti is apparently easier to set up but more expensive.
Once up and running our system works very well but installation (the software setup), as noted above, is not intuitive and required skilled technical assistance.
Both Ubiquiti and Mikrotik units can be challenging to configure as they come from the factory.

There are some marine outfits like Island Time who preconfigure either brand of system to make them far easier for boaters to set up and use them. I've installed a few Bitstorm systems, but they're no longer in this market.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 14:23   #20
Caz

Boat: 2002 Oyster 66

I decided to stop screwing around and purchased the Aigean 7000AC from https://aigean.com/products/wireless-clients/ld-7000ac (note: you will need to find a re-seller) I work full time and needed a reliable service. This is it. It can sniff out wifi signals that others can not. I used it at 10 different marinas along the east coast and am now in Ensenada, Mexico. Performance has been flawless. Richard, the owner of the company is also the chief engineer and is very responsive to phone calls and email. At $1,700, it is not cheap. But is does work.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2022, 16:30   #21

I am grateful to everyone who responded. Thank you.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 18:41   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We have one of these on our mast. We pick up Wifi at anchor from McDonalds, hotels , coffee shops etc.
up to 1/2 mile away.

https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Range-Re.../dp/B07JBBCDD2
Old 07-08-2022, 21:23   #23

Boat: Bristol 27

You don’t have to purchase anything. Just turn on your phone’s Hotspot and use that for your computers onboard.

I do this when our marina WiFi is weak and also at anchor.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 23:59   #24
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You don’t have to purchase anything. Just turn on your phone’s Hotspot and use that for your computers onboard.

I do this when our marina WiFi is weak and also at anchor.

Me too. Cant think when I last used a Wi-Fi hotspot. I don’t even use Wi-Fi in my marina even though it’s “ free “. I still use 4G.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:55   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Me too. Cant think when I last used a Wi-Fi hotspot. I don’t even use Wi-Fi in my marina even though it’s “ free “. I still use 4G.

Up here in Northern Europe marina WIFI is often very good indeed. A new generation of access points and connections is apparently being rolled out.

I have unlimited 5G data on my phone all over the Nordic and Baltic region, so not much reason to go to any trouble there, but in Germany, Netherlands, etc., it can be good to save your fair use allowance if you're streaming video, loading charts, etc. etc.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:15   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Up here in Northern Europe marina WIFI is often very good indeed. A new generation of access points and connections is apparently being rolled out.

I have unlimited 5G data on my phone all over the Nordic and Baltic region, so not much reason to go to any trouble there, but in Germany, Netherlands, etc., it can be good to save your fair use allowance if you're streaming video, loading charts, etc. etc.

I’ve no fair use on my 4G certainly as I regularly hit 300Gbytes a month download or more.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:24   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I’ve no fair use on my 4G certainly as I regularly hit 300Gbytes a month download or more.
When roaming?

I have really unlimited no fair use in seven countries around the Baltic Sea, but elsewhere in EU, including Germany, Netherlands, etc., it's 10GB per month. Then the EU capped price of €6/GB, which is also not so bad.

Never heard of a plan with no fair use all over Europe -- if there is one, I want it!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:37   #28

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

If the club added an Apple box or a few your wifi can be extended. I have seen a booster runs up a back stay. I’ve also been told by a pro you can increase your ability to receive a weak signal
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi