Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2022, 17:25   #1

Marina wifi help

The marina our boat is at has Wi-Fi, however the slip that we occupy is located on one of the docks that is plagued with poor reception. The marina’s management says that there is nothing they can do about it even though they have suggested things to do that, frankly, only provide an occasional short lived fix that may last for ten to fifteen minutes, at most. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m no high level device technician, but my wife and I do have current Apple phones, iPads and a couple android notebooks, as well.
My question is: Is there anything on the market that I can purchase to enhance the ability of any of the devices I’ve mentioned in order to be able to meet the challenge I’ve described? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 17:28   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: Marina wifi help

Hi, where are you located? Do you have local cell phone subscriptions or are you running on international plan? Any chance you can tether from your phone?
Old 12-06-2022, 17:31   #3

We’re in Monterey Bay, California USA.
Old 12-06-2022, 17:37   #4

We both have cell phone numbers. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2022, 17:47   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Search on-line for WiFi extenders. I have a RedPort Optimizer, which is already getting close to obsolete (had it for 6 years) but it works great. I'm connected with it now. The marina signal is marginal here but with the extender we can watch streaming video on it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 19:04   #6

This is what devices like the rouge wave is for. Plus a wifi router.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1563232

But even if you get connected to the Marina. Is does not mean the internet will be good. If many boats are sharing it, it might be useless. You could test up closer first., at different times of the day.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 19:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giro View Post
The marina our boat is at has Wi-Fi, however the slip that we occupy is located on one of the docks that is plagued with poor reception. The marina’s management says that there is nothing they can do about it even though they have suggested things to do that, frankly, only provide an occasional short lived fix that may last for ten to fifteen minutes, at most. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m no high level device technician, but my wife and I do have current Apple phones, iPads and a couple android notebooks, as well.
My question is: Is there anything on the market that I can purchase to enhance the ability of any of the devices I’ve mentioned in order to be able to meet the challenge I’ve described? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
There are a number of options available for improving wifi reception on boats, at different price points. In the middle, for a couple of hundred, there are systems with a superior outdoor wifi receiver connected to an onboard router and wifi hotspot for your onboard devices to connect to.

But you must manage your expectations. A shared wifi system like that at a marina is rarely going to approach the speeds and throughput you're used to at home or at the office. Email and some selective web browsing... no problem. Big downloads or glitch-free movies... you'll usually be disappointed.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 21:01   #8

Better to be independent, Router designed to take SIM card, with external antennas rather than the pocket mifi units.

Business-oriented data plan, TMO resellers can be well under $150/mo for in effect unlimited. My family does 600-800GB high speed on average
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 21:48   #9

I sincerely appreciate the suggestions I have thus far received. Good advise from those far more tech capable than myself.
Many thanks and exciting, safe adventures to you all.
Old 13-06-2022, 12:26   #10

I am about to throw away the marina wifi and try Starlink RV.
it's expensive, but if it works it will be better than anything else i can get at my slip.

I've also tried speedify.com - basically bridging the phone hotspot with the marina wifi. And eventually bridge Starlink with cell hotspot & marina wifi.
sjgharib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 12:27   #11

Also i found the Rouge Wave WiFi didn't work at all with my Marina wifi (Beacon) because they actively market their own WiFi extension device. It was almost like they blocked the Wave unit.
sjgharib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 20:01   #12

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Before adding WiFi antenna & router. Prove to yourself that there is sufficient bandwidth in your marina (at another, optimum antenna location) for your needs at the time of day you need it. If not, go the cellular or Starlink route.
Old 15-06-2022, 10:20   #13

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

I always had great luck with the wifi antennas from Alfa. They plug into USB, and always worked fine just sitting on the cabin top. Not weather proof, but could put one in a water proof box if needed.

Plus, they are very inexpensive.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 12:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
I always had great luck with the wifi antennas from Alfa. They plug into USB, and always worked fine just sitting on the cabin top. Not weather proof, but could put one in a water proof box if needed.

Plus, they are very inexpensive.
Yeah, me too A lot of bang for like $20. Was great several years ago when there were a lot more unlocked APs around.

But I sense the OP would prefer some sort of installed weatherproof solution that supports multiple onboard devices.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 12:52   #15

Boat: Hunter 38

I use a ubiquiti bullet. Its ok, not really that impressed with it, and on some networks it regularly looses connectivity and does not automatically rejoin (although my other devices do).

It helps some places, others is just an annoyance.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi