Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2019, 10:33   #1

Lightbulb MARINE HF SSB RADIOS

Just curious. Does anybody know of a place that repairs/services Marine HF SSB Radios ? To mail/ship it to somebody.

I have ended up with a couple old ICOM Radios and if they do not need to be checked out now assume in the future. ICOM will only service something of NEW vintage. (to my knowledge)

Being a radio nut I am always looking for older/old radios for my enjoyment. Wonder where the best place to find those wanting to get rid of the 'old one' ?

I don't know the value as what something old is worth. I don't think I'd want to be out on the oceans without a modern radio.

Just got an ICOM M710 and would like to modify it for amateur radio usage but don't know if this is possible. I think ICOM had all kinds of variations with the 710. Marine Radios cab be awkward for amateur radio ..channels..nothing to reduce interfering signals..tune around...

Otherwise the most economical way to go is with an amateur radio transceiver modified to transmit anywhere. I do not advocate anything illegal but every country has their own regulations and on international waters ?

Does this fit in this forum ? Am not selling anything.
shepaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 11:19   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: MARINE HF SSB RADIOS

Check with Dockside Radio. What kind of radios do you have?
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 11:58   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

There are a number of sources advertising repair of Icoms in addition to their own company repair facilities throughout the world. They generally won’t “open up” the radio for use outside standard marine frequency use nor are the tuned circuits in the 710 amenable to broadband use.

If your intent is to have a radio capable of ham reading use, buying one is often a cheaper alternative and far more effective as well.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 14:51   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

https://www.mods.dk/index.php?ModelId=340&RadioRec=icom
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 09:16   #5

The mods.dk site is a good one, thanks.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 09:45   #6

Boat: Lancer 27PS

With Mods.dk, if you are a registered free user, you can only view one item per 24 hours. That makes it, IMHO, useless. Again, JMHO.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 10:24   #7

Boat: Fraser 42 ft Center cockpit sloop

Malcolm Technical service in Oregon. Google him. I've used him several times over the years and he does great work. Email. Don't try to call. He's busy. He will open up your 710 to hambands if you show him your ham license. If you don't have a ham license, then you should get one anyway, if only so you learn how to become more proficient in any radio usage.
Hyrdflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 13:11   #8

Yep, a ham license is required, even in international waters. This is a ITU requirement, to which all countries are signatories (except North Korea, etc). Probably you will never be asked to show your license, but such a good CYA idea. If you venture into a port where the officer takes one look at you and decides you remind her of her ex-husband who ran off with her younger sister... ��
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 14:18   #9

I also have had great service from MTS:
https://mts-icom.wixsite.com/hamradiorepair
kudukuguam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 14:43   #10

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

shepaug: you do not state your location, which might be helpful for nearby recommendations.

The 710 had many firmwares available, as stated earlier. In the U.S. it is legal to open up and use type-accepted marine radios on the ham band, on non-compulsory vessels; in many other countries it is not legal. If you are in the U.S. it shouldn't be a problem. The 710 was still being sold just a few years ago so I would be surprised if Icom didn't offer service on them. My experience with Icom service in Kirkland has been mostly great; the exception being that they saw some rust inside my M802 and refused to touch it (I had asked them to do the free compressor mod). The rust had come off of a terminal bracket and had spread on top of the coating (and wiped off easily - the circuit worked fine). Otherwise they have been very helpful. Also, they do keep a record of service by serial number which can be useful when buying old gear.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 14:59   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepaug View Post
Just curious. Does anybody know of a place that repairs/services Marine HF SSB Radios ? To mail/ship it to somebody.

I have ended up with a couple old ICOM Radios and if they do not need to be checked out now assume in the future. ICOM will only service something of NEW vintage. (to my knowledge)

Being a radio nut I am always looking for older/old radios for my enjoyment. Wonder where the best place to find those wanting to get rid of the 'old one' ?

I don't know the value as what something old is worth. I don't think I'd want to be out on the oceans without a modern radio.

Just got an ICOM M710 and would like to modify it for amateur radio usage but don't know if this is possible. I think ICOM had all kinds of variations with the 710. Marine Radios cab be awkward for amateur radio ..channels..nothing to reduce interfering signals..tune around...

Otherwise the most economical way to go is with an amateur radio transceiver modified to transmit anywhere. I do not advocate anything illegal but every country has their own regulations and on international waters ?

Does this fit in this forum ? Am not selling anything.
As with so many things these days they have a limited lifespan because the manufacturer stops servicing them and you have to find a third party to service the damn things.

FWIW on my roundtrip to Hawaii in 2016 I used an SEA Comm Corp 2250 SSB that is a 90's era radio. I personally took it to the headquarters office in Mountlake Terrace, WA for servicing before I left and it worked great receiving NOAA weather charts and making daily radio position reports to the Pacific Seafarers Net (14.300MHz). With each call I asked the state of my reception and they replied that we were the best they had received. So, newness is not necessary but those with available good servicing and overall reliability is. I'll do it again on my next passage.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 16:07   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Still use a SEA322 aboard that works fine...
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 18:07   #13

Boat: Freedom 38

This is who I used. Worked out great and cost seemed reasonable.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 18:08   #14

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrdflyr View Post
Malcolm Technical service in Oregon. Google him. I've used him several times over the years and he does great work. Email. Don't try to call. He's busy. He will open up your 710 to hambands if you show him your ham license. If you don't have a ham license, then you should get one anyway, if only so you learn how to become more proficient in any radio usage.
This is who I used. Worked out great and cost seemed reasonable.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 18:08   #15

Boat: Riva 48

I have two SEA 235 units, got the second one just in case. This was the first microprocessor controlled digital and one of the best. I believe the Marines used it in some of their boats. Love it.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, radio, ssb