Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 14:16   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Maritime Mobile Service Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
cb-
Hams created a maritime network for hams at sea, so they call it a maritime network. It is not a "Mariners' Network".
Yes, the format of ham licenses is different from that of marine licenses, so they can tell instantly when they hear your license, what it is. Many, possibly most, ham operators on land also have at least one computer at their station, and they will pretty much instantly look up the call sign of every contact, to confirm that it is a valid one, and to find out who or what they are talking with. So, yes twice, they knew you're not a ham. (That brodline paraoia on checking call signs also helps ensure that folks aren't just "pirating" the call signs of other licensees.)

As Storm points out, federal law, following international agreement, sets who a radio operator (of any type) may speak with. If a ham uses their radio to speak to an unlicense party for any reason except actual emergency-in-progress communications, they face a hefty fine AND permanent loss of their license. There are similar rules about marine stations contacting other parties and unlicensed services, regardless of what your radio can be programmed to do.
Are amateur radio license holders allowed to communicate to marine assigned frequencies without a ship station license?
Old 07-04-2018, 14:24   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Are amateur radio license holders allowed to communicate to marine assigned frequencies without a ship station license?
No, unless it's an emergency.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 18:40   #18

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Most marine SSB radio's handle Ham frequencies fine. You just need the Ham license to legally use them. In the US, the general license is not tough to get, as all the questions are available for review.
That is how I did mine! I kept taking practice quiz, over and over, ... and over ..., until I could do them in my sleep (even though I didn't understand a great deal of it... still don't). But I passed and got my General certificate about 3 years ago.

I took mine here: https://www.eham.net/exams/.

W3AZH.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:52   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

cb-
"Are amateur radio license holders allowed to communicate to marine assigned frequencies without a ship station license?"
Yes, when and if they are engaging in converstation for the express purpose of saving of life or property that is in immanent danger. i.e., very narrowly defined emergency communications only. Really, that should have been part of the study material you had before trying to take any amateur license exam. In the event of actual emergency operations, amateur radio operators are pretty much allowed and encouraged to use any and all means necessary to prevent the loss of life and property. I thought that was in the test pool.
That is the FCC's point of view. Some other parties, like the NYPD, don't care who you are or what you are doing, if you touch one of their radios, and you don't work for them, they'll prosecute you.

If you are buying and using a radio that is type accepted for a particular service, such as a ham radio or a marine/ham dual purpose radio, they are normally locked out by the factory, so they can only communicate on what is allowed for them. Many ham radios have been "free banded" to operate beyond those limits, and the Icom dual-purpose marine radios are normally locked to "marine only" from the factory, I believe. The unlock procedures aren't a state secret, but it requires conscious effort for someone to add them into the radio, under the assumption that person will be licensed to use them.
Another complication usually ignored in the US, is that the marine and ham radios onboard are supposed to use totally separated systems. No shared antenna, etc, but separated. I've never heard of anyone being busted for that though.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:17   #20

Also note, the Maritime Mobile Net operations at specific times during the day. They share the frequency with other nets, including land-based mobile nets. They are all volunteers, conducting the net, mostly out of their home shacks. When you check-in, they do validate your callsign/HAM license and update their database. There's no surprise that they wouldn't talk with you - you are not licensed to use 14,300 frequency. They provide a great service while underway - someone to check-in with, track your position and confirm that your radio is working. There are also other HAM ans SSB nets specific to your cruising area for more local cruising and weather information. They all pretty much follow the same script -- check-in, emergencies, weather..... You might find an SSB net that meets your needs.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:40   #21

Boat: Riva 48

I believe the issue is now clear to everyone. You need a ham license to talk on 14.300 MHz. In general, a ham license is a lot more valuable than a marine license.

On the ham frequencies you have the 14.300 service (there is always someone to talk to), you have the PSK frequencies that get quite popular at certain times of the day (equivalent to a messaging service), you have some rtty enthusiasts (less efficient but popular equivalent to PSK), then there is the Olivia frequencies (slower but extremely robust messaging, will get your message through under any conditions), then you have Winlink Winmor which is a free email service. Other interesting modes include SSTV, which allows you to send small pictures every few minutes or so. Ham radios can operate at low power and are very efficient. You do not need more than 10 to 30 watts to work the world in digital modes.

Marine frequencies are dead more or less. You have some broadcast services (weatherfax is great but anyone can receive, the odd SITOR broadcast and HF DSC). DSC is a separate matter and you do not need a license since it is typically used in an emergency. So you are left with a few marine nets.

So, my advice would be to go for the ham license.

Also, a marine radio is great but overall you will be better off with a ham radio. The biggest benefit of a marine radio is the channelization where you can enter ITU channels easily and if it is a Telex channel, the radio will automatically reduce the bandwidth to avoid interference on adjacent channels. However when was the last time any recreational SSB user spoke on a split channel? Years ago in my case. It is no longer relevant in my opinion.

Regards,
SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:19   #22

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post

Marine frequencies are dead more or less........
Most of the cruisers nets and adhoc passage nets are done over marine SSB frequencies. At least that's been my experience in central America and the south Pacific.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 13:26   #23

Boat: Westsail 32

I have joined a local radio club who's members have agreed to help in securing a general license, thanks for all who have contributed here.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob, service