Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2021, 21:50   #1

Boat: Cape George 36
Mast head lights replacement - or - why is Aquasignal so expensive?

I have an older AquaSignal Series 40 Tricolor/Anchor mast head light.

It works. It is fine. However....getting ready to take off long term and thinking about LED bulb replacement (have replaced one already during its life). That will run about $60 for the two.

However...I want a strobe because I have seen how handy they can be when hailing ships at night who insist they cannot see you despite broadcasting AIS and flying a radar reflector. Flip it on and after half a dozen flashes they spot you. Cool. AquaSignal makes a Series 40 with strobe on it.

Extra bonus, the AquaSignal Series 40 lamps all use the same base. They have wire terminals for the strobe it just goes unused. Last time I tore down my mast I went ahead and ran a wire for the strobe so theoretically I could just unplug the old one and plug in the new one and I presume the new one comes with LEDs.

The kicker is price. I see prices over $700 for 3 light bulbs in a colored plastic tube. Best price I can find is Amazon at $560.

OTOH there are alternatives from Lunasea for $210, the Optolamp amazonia mirim 4 and some knock offs around $100.

So what am I really paying for here? Why the insane variation in rates?
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 22:09   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Mast head lights replacement - or - why is Aquasignal so expensive?

Maybe lower rf interference?

Tags
mast, head, men