Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2009, 05:58   #1

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Mast-Mount Antenna?

I've never had a permanently mounted tv antenna onboard Mobetah but I have recently acquired a Naval (model PR411 for tv and am/fm radios). I've seen many radar and tv antennas mounted on the mast of sloops and cutters but I'm still wondering just how much a mast mounted antenna might interfear with the jib when tacking (after all, it would extend out about 20" from the mast). I know the higher you intall the antenna, the better the reception however, the higher the antenna, the less space you will have between the antenna and the headstay. Does anyone have any experience with and/or advice about installing a mast mounted tv antenna?

Thanks for your help, Bill A.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 11:23   #2

Boat: Stormwind 40 cutter rigged steel ketch
I have my antenna on the masthead. I do not know the make or model of it, it is just a set of two small spars forming a letter V opening to the aft. Wonderfull reception both for analog and digital channels. Should your antenna be of the horizontal disc type, I have seen those installed fairly high on masts on the side. That way they are protected by the shrouds and should not be on the way of your jib.

I have a spare antenna of the disc type, however, the few times I have used it, I have just placed it under my sprayhood.
Heikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 19:05   #3

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
I hang my antenna from my spinnaker crane.

IF I had it to do all over, I'd add a more specialized crane that sticks out another foot or so to keep the antenna farther from my mast.

I thought of permanent installation, but that "permanent" installation would've been about 3/4 the way up the mast. This way my antenna(when I use it), is virtually 100% up the mast.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, mast