Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2016, 17:35   #1

Mast top wind not working

HI all, so I have a data collection wind direction and speed monitor on the mast head. Direction works fine. The wind speed does not record. The receiver has an unrecognisable line on it and does not show wind speed. so question A/how do I find out if it is the transmitter at the head of the mast or three receiver/display in the cockpit.? Seems to me having looked at the mast head all seems well and as wind direction data gets through the cable works so maybe the receiver (which of course is the pricier bit)....Any thoughts on how to isolate (make is Autohelm).
Smudge601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 17:52   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Mast top wind not working

What brand and model?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 18:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge601 View Post
HI all, so I have a data collection wind direction and speed monitor on the mast head. Direction works fine. The wind speed does not record. The receiver has an unrecognisable line on it and does not show wind speed. so question A/how do I find out if it is the transmitter at the head of the mast or three receiver/display in the cockpit.? Seems to me having looked at the mast head all seems well and as wind direction data gets through the cable works so maybe the receiver (which of course is the pricier bit)....Any thoughts on how to isolate (make is Autohelm).
How old is it? These don't last forever.

Try this: If you are in an anchorage or even a marina when the wind is light, look around at the mast-top anemometers (wind speed cups). You'll notice some spinning and some not. I think that's often down to age. Ours always spins when the wind is under 1kt, but many around us do not.

I replaced this (the mast-top speed rotor thingy on B&G wind device) on our Pacific Seacraft not long ago. It's very, very easy to do: five minutes (but we have mast steps; it would be a much bigger job without them). Pictures here:

https://pacificseacraft37.com/more-photos/
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 19:09   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

easy first step is to clean up all the connections you can reach without climbing the mast. I thought my masthead wind transducer was bad and replaced it. Turned out to be a bad connection on the back of the instrument at the helm. Do the easy stuff first;
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 20:19   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 "Voyageur"

Most of the issues with Raymarine ST-60 package wind sensors on our boats were caused either by spiders tying up the wind cup assembly or the sun weakening the vane until it fell off, perhaps aided by a seabird.

I put the B&G system on last summer, but the wind direction indication failed. Navico replaced it under warranty. A Navico rep at one of the boat shows suggested that there had been a bad production run of these.
so34chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 21:21   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

My original wind speed and direction instruments from Autohelm lasted three quarters of the way way around the world before they failed (eleven years). The wind indicator at the top of the mast did not make it around the world either. It fell to the deck in pieces.

After that, I used a handheld anomometer, and I used my two wind generators to estimate wind speed and direction.

Not ideal, but it got the job done.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:54   #7

How can I tell if I'm getting a good signal from the wind transducer
Answer ID 51 | Published 07/11/2001 12:48 PM | Updated 07/11/2001 12:54 PM
How can I tell if I'm getting a good signal from the transducer? I am not getting any direction and speed readings on my display?
If you have a junction box in line with the masthead cable(typically near the base of the mast) you can verify if the wind transducer is functioning properly. You will need a DC Voltmeter to perform this check

With the wind instrument turned on check between the following colors using the bare wire as your reference -vdc(ground)

Red Wire = 8+vdc(voltage supply from head unit to the transducer)
Blue Wire = 2-6vdc (wind direction from transducer)
Green Wire = 2-6vdc (wind direction from transducer)
Yellow Wire= 0-5vdc (wind speed from transducer. This signal will varying with changes in wind speed

If the above signals are not present from the wind transducer then there may be break in the cable or the transducer has malfunctioned. The transducer must then be repaired or replaced. The wind transducer is not field serviceable and should be serviced by our factory repair or an authorized Raymarine distributor or dealer.
dietervoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:57   #8

Boat: 2001 Catalina 400 MKII
Send a message via MSN to CCR2580

I had similar problems with my ST60+. Voltage readings on the back of the wind instrument were all too high. Wind indicator pointed straight to bow and had three dashes on the speed screen. Raymarine tech support said I needed to replace transducer so I replaced the transducer and still the system still would not work. Same results! I did notice the bare wire had frayed on the back of wind instrument so replaced that part of the bare wire and reconnected the bare wire to the back of the wind instrument. Also I applied a small amount of dielectric grease to each connector on the back of the wind instrument and now it works. Good luck!
CCR2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 09:39   #9

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

Had similar problem with Raymarine st60. Checked voltage at junction box at base of mast and got bad reading on yellow. Went up them mast and removed unit and cleaned all the contacts. Problem resolved!
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 10:28   #10

Boat: islandpacket

They have a st 50-60 tester on ebay
Old 17-05-2016, 11:00   #11

Hello Smudge601. I agree with most, in that if the unit isn't too old and seems to spin properly like the others around you, the problem may well be a connection. I have an ST60 and the voltages at he head unit were there, but all wrong by quite a margin. I nipped up the mast and removed the unit, wired it up directly to the head unit (a bit Heath Robinson like) and it worked fine. Al that was left was to trace through the wiring and eventually find the fault. Someone had used a terminal block behind the headlining in the forward cabin and the ground had all but separated with corrosion.
Good luck.
Lanzarotetrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 11:10   #12

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

I have the same exactly problem with the ST 60
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 14:41   #13

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I have an extra ST 60 masthead wind transducer for sale if anybody needs one.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 15:49   #14

Thanks all, I have a project for the weekend. I will as many of you suggest start at the display and work up from there stopping at said Junction box. Cheers I will report back.
Smudge601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, wind