Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 21:44   #1

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Matsutec HA 102 users.

Bound to be a few of you out there using these black box AIS now.

Have searched the interwebs and have not come up with anything conclusive but it says in the specs that it has a 12 channel GPS built in and there is a socket on the back for a GPS antenna.

Quote:
. GPS RECEIVER
Receiving Channels 12 Channels
Acquisition Sensitivity -140dBm
Tracking Sensitivity -150 dBm
Position Accuracy < 2.5m CEP ( GPS ) without SA
Output Rate 1 Hz
The installation manual says to connect the antenna so I sent an email to Matsutec and they came back and said it needs GPS antenna.
Why if it has one inbuilt and for us, it will be above decks in the wheelhouse.?

So for those of you using one, does it have a reliable in build GPS or not?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:24   #2

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Re: Matsutec HA 102 users.

I have one, I mounted it under the cockpit so needed an antenna. Forget exactly how I did it, but I recycled one from my 4WD GPS with an adapter and it works perfectly, linked into my chartplotter. If in cockpit with clear view of sky through windows, may work without one. I have never tried it without the antenna, may work.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:49   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I don't have that brand and model, but my GME AIST120 works just dandy at the nav station using just it's internal GPS antenna. I did mount it as high as I could and made sure that there was no metal or other shielding directly above it.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
I have one, I mounted it under the cockpit so needed an antenna. Forget exactly how I did it, but I recycled one from my 4WD GPS with an adapter and it works perfectly, linked into my chartplotter. If in cockpit with clear view of sky through windows, may work without one. I have never tried it without the antenna, may work.
Thanks for the reply.
Sounds like I'll get one, half the price of the next cheapest (GME) AIS available

If for some reason it needs a GPS I'll get one of those gmouse vk162 corded antenna for about $10.
Same type I use with opencpn and sitting on the dash in wheelhouse and works a hell of a lot better than the new roof mounted SEIWA Smart antenna on the dedicated marine plotter.
Old 07-12-2019, 13:15   #5

Boat: Lancer 27PS

I had a VK-172 USB stick and it was slow to lock and only could get either US satellites or RU satellites, not both. I still have it but don't use it anymore. Replaced it with a BG-803 which will receive both birds at the same time. And it locks faster. This is on my laptop for time sync and location.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:24   #6

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40

Hello,

I do not have this model but the one with a display. It came with a mushroom antenna. Instead of that "big" *antena I just bought one those small magnetic antennas that we put on the top of the roof of our cars and it works extremely well. The antena is just sitting on the top of the metallic case of the FM radio. It is inside the locker with all the instrumentation and gets a fix in less than 5 seconds. The built-in antenna inside my CW90 Raymarine chartplotter used to spend almost 1 minute to get a fix. That antenna costed me 5 euros and I had to buy the proper connector for the AIS for 2 euros!
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:32   #7

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

i know nothing of this unit but I'm wondering why you think it has a built-in GPS antenna? Having a built in GPS and a built in GPS with an antenna are two different things. The performance figures for the GPS you quote give no indication of if the GPS has an antenna or not and it is not all that unusual for equipment to have a GPS that does not have a built in antenna and require an external antenna.

In any case cheap external antennas are available. I had an AIS receiver that needed an external antenna and I just mounted a small inexpensive antenna on the outside of its case.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
i know nothing of this unit but I'm wondering why you think it has a built-in GPS antenna?
Why wouldn't it?
There's certainly enough space
And it does say "receiving" channels, I would assume to receive it would have an antenna.

Quote:
Having a built in GPS and a built in GPS with an antenna are two different things. The performance figures for the GPS you quote give no indication of if the GPS has an antenna or not and it is not all that unusual for equipment to have a GPS that does not have a built in antenna and require an external antenna.
Its also not unusual for product to have built in GPS that does not have external antenna.
I have several phones and tablets aboard, much smaller form factor, all have working and fast GPS acquisition.
I also have a plotter/sounder in my tender, no external antenna there either.

Quote:
In any case cheap external antennas are available. I had an AIS receiver that needed an external antenna and I just mounted a small inexpensive antenna on the outside of its case.
Yes, I did mention that.
Old 08-12-2019, 14:19   #9

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I would think the obvious answer to why is would not is because the manufacturer told you it needs an external antenna
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 14:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
I would think the obvious answer to why is would not is because the manufacturer told you it needs an external antenna
You are making the assumption that the person answering an email knows what they are talking about.

The manufacturers blurb also says
Quote:
. Internal GPS receiver ,as data source for position,COG and
*SOG can be connected to all devices compatible to GPS and PC,PDA,ECDIS,RADAR,etc.
It also says

Quote:
GPS Antenna (Optional): Female TNC Connector
Old 08-12-2019, 20:47   #11

Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI

The case is metal, it will need to be an external antenna
MoorOrLess is offline   Reply With Quote