Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2011, 08:31   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE
Re: Maxsea TZ, NAIS-300, Maretron USB100 all on N2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Just curious - if you have AIS on NavNet, and from there is shows on the MFDs and on MaxSea, what's driving your desire to have it on N2K, other than purity of bridging? ...
Fair question - but, I don't have the Furuno AIS unit so don't have AIS on NavNet. I have the Standard Horizon VHF / AIS Receiver currently.

Quote:
My goal was to eliminate 0183. ...The one place I couldn't get rid of 0183 was interfacing to the VHFs.
Same here, at least at the time we built the network.

Quote:
Since all the big vendors use Ethernet for Radar and fish finders, and all those implementations are proprietary, I decided to accept Furuno's NavNet, and use it wherever it's available...
Yup Furuno ethernet for us too (radar, laptop navigation) but where possible, wanted to stay non-proprietary. Also having a DSC capable VHF on N2K with integration into AIS would be the cat's meow - seems like there are some options emerging now per Nick's earlier post.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 08:59   #77

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Indeed... let's all call in bugs to Furuno support abut not supporting N2K AIS. If they say it's not a bug, then request the feature added.

cheers,
Nick.
While we're at it, let's ask for the Splashtop Streamer on the MFDs!!!!

Now that would be cool!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 09:46   #78
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
While we're at it, let's ask for the Splashtop Streamer on the MFDs!!!!

Now that would be cool!
Haha, why didn't I come up with that one

p.s. I just posted my Furuno RD-33 review: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...edi-73858.html

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 02:30   #79

Hi guys, Just been reading this thread with interest. I see now that the NGT-1 is listed as fully compatible with MSTZ has anyone managed to get it working with an autopilot. I am intending to set up the attached system when I get a chance, does anyone have any comment's on whether this will enable MSTZ to control my st2000 autopilot.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Karl's system.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	43801  
karlfaeunst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 04:34   #80

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Played a bit more with the autopilot and also compared to Mark's brand new model. The software as improved, the AP24 has a menu option to choose the source for navigation and it shows the detected speakers. This is easy, but it still requires working the menu to change to another navigation source.

My AP25 requires that global Simnet reset. I will check if there is new firmware available.

cheers,
Nick.
As I have been using our new system for a bit now, I have come to realize that the AP automatically switches to any navigation data source putting data on the bus without specifically choosing the source through the menu. For example, when the Furuno MFD has an active waypoint, the AP sees and uses the data. And it does the same when the computer (Coastal Explorer) has the active route. So no menu working needed at all.

I haven't tried to set both nav data sources to active routes to see what happens. Maybe I'll try that soon. My guess is that it will take the first source that goes active and ignore the other unless specifically chosen by the menu.

BTW, this works the same way with our new B&G Triton instruments, which also control the autopilot and have more display options then the Simrad AP24.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 05:20   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlfaeunst View Post
Hi guys, Just been reading this thread with interest. I see now that the NGT-1 is listed as fully compatible with MSTZ has anyone managed to get it working with an autopilot. I am intending to set up the attached system when I get a chance, does anyone have any comment's on whether this will enable MSTZ to control my st2000 autopilot.

Thanks
What N2k/0183 converter?
Old 21-07-2012, 05:26   #82

Hi DotDun,

The converter is the Raymarine seatalkng to seatalk converter, the ST2000 can connect to either seatalk or 0183 so I guess I could put a NGW1 in it's place. I have read that MSTZ can only receive N2k data via the NGT-1 and cannot send PGN's back onto the network, if this is true then I'll have to have a rethink.

cheers
Old 21-07-2012, 06:00   #83

Quote:
Hi DotDun,

The converter is the Raymarine seatalkng to seatalk converter, the ST2000 can connect to either seatalk or 0183 so I guess I could put a NGW1 in it's place. I have read that MSTZ can only receive N2k data via the NGT-1 and cannot send PGN's back onto the network, if this is true then I'll have to have a rethink.

cheers
1) Assuming your converter is the E22158, it has warnings in the manual about not connecting to an autopilot.

2) If MSTZ won't talk on N2k, then 0183 is your choice. Easy with a USB/RS232 adapter.

One issue that may cause frustration - My experience is that APs require RMB/APB with magnetic BTW and/or the RMC sentence in order to calculate magnetic BTW. I don't know what MSTZ produces (true or magnetic). APs also will want SOG (included in RMC).
Old 21-07-2012, 06:09   #84

Yes it is the E22158 converter and I had the same concern regarding the manual saying you couldn't connect it to an autopilot, I asked raymarine support how to connect it and they came back and said just to connect it to the E22158 and everything would work fine (ignore the manual was what they said ).

If maxsea cant receive and tx N2k data on the NGT-1, then N2k/0183 is the only way to go I suppose. Problem is I think it can only communicate on one port so it wouldn't be able to receive the N2k data and transmit 0183 on a different com port. I.e. you can only have one pc interface working to transfer data with MSTZ.
I'm away working at the moment and all the stuff is sitting ready for me to fit when I get back, I'll report back if it works or not after I get it set up.
Old 21-07-2012, 06:14   #85

Quote:
Yes it is the E22158 converter and I had the same concern regarding the manual saying you couldn't connect it to an autopilot, I asked raymarine support how to connect it and they came back and said just to connect it to the E22158 and everything would work fine (ignore the manual was what they said ).

If maxsea cant receive and tx N2k data on the NGT-1, then N2k/0183 is the only way to go I suppose. Problem is I think it can only communicate on one port so it wouldn't be able to receive the N2k data and transmit 0183 on a different com port. I.e. you can only have one pc interface working to transfer data with MSTZ.
I'm away working at the moment and all the stuff is sitting ready for me to fit when I get back, I'll report back if it works or not after I get it set up.
I would be very surprised if MSTZ does not allow setting up multiple ports (at least one in and one out).
Old 21-07-2012, 06:18   #86

here's the 0183 autopilot set up page from MSTZ showing what it can send out. Looks like the variation issue shouldn't be a problem as it can send either Magnetic, True or both.

The ST2000 can only receive wind data as VWR which is seatalk specific I think, hence the reason for opting for the seatalkng to seatalk converter instead of a direct n2k/0183 like the NGW-1 which doesn't convert to VWR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	st2000 nmea data.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	43808   Click image for larger version

Name:	MSTZ AP.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	43809  

Old 21-07-2012, 07:14   #87

VWR is a NMEA0183 standard sentence and the NGW-1 does convert it from N2k pgn 130306.

http://www.actisense.com/Downloads/D...ue%202.199.pdf

But, you may need a multiplexer to get it all into the AP.
Old 21-07-2012, 07:34   #88

The way I read that is VWR can be converted to 130306 but when it converts 130306 back to 0813 it outputs MDA, MWD, MWV(R), MWV(T) but not VWR. I'm working on mstz with an emulator at the moment and it looks like you are right it can work 2 ports at the same time so this could be the way to go.

I could then use the seatalk converter for steering to the wind using vwr and ngw-1 to get the waypoint, xte data directly to the autopilot from MSTZ

cheers
Old 21-07-2012, 08:44   #89

Quote:
The way I read that is VWR can be converted to 130306 but when it converts 130306 back to 0813 it outputs MDA, MWD, MWV(R), MWV(T) but not VWR. I'm working on mstz with an emulator at the moment and it looks like you are right it can work 2 ports at the same time so this could be the way to go.

I could then use the seatalk converter for steering to the wind using vwr and ngw-1 to get the waypoint, xte data directly to the autopilot from MSTZ

cheers
You're right! I didn't read far enough.

It looks like you have a plan!

Good luck!
Old 21-07-2012, 09:32   #90

so, I used a gps simulator on com1 and the MSTZ autopilot out on com2. Checked the data on com2 with hyperterminal and it looks like everything is there, both magnetic and true bearings. I should be able to connect directly to the ST2000 using a USB/serial connector. Thanks for helping out.

Tags
ais, maxsea