Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 08:28   #1

MikroTik Wifi connection

I am trying to wrap my head around the variety of electronics on the boat and how to get them a little more in sync. I have a little MikroTik router that currently is connected to an antenna and creates wifi linked to the WiFi extender the boat came with.

The MikroTik has 3-4 empty network ports on it; is it possible to connect our Starlink to one of those empty ports and have the MikroTik router choose between Starlink or WiFi to provide internet to everyone on the boat on a single wifi network? Or do we need a separate router for the Starlink internet, and swap devices depending on which network has an actual internet connection?

Thanks!
Zhent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:00   #2

Boat: HR43
Re: MikroTik Wifi connection

With out knowing anything about the MickroTik probably.

Plug the starlink into the port labeled WAN on the MikroTik.
There may need configuration but it also might work.
bdgWesternMass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:14   #3

Thanks - unfortunately I don't have a lot of other information on the unit itself. It came with the boat and is called MikroTik Routerboard, but there's no other identifying info. I will definitely see if it has a WAN port. Appreciate it!
Zhent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:15   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

A quick look at the webpage, and MicroTik Routerboard seems to be a PCB for OEM use, or for hobbyists to custom build a router and install custom router software on. Mikrotik also provide router software.

So, the short answer is most probably it can connect to both Starlink and Wifi and failover from one to the other. But, it won't do it without your configuring it to do so, and it will be up to you to figure that out.

https://mikrotik.com/products/group/routerboard

Tags
rot, wifi