Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2024, 09:14   #16

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: MMSI best practice for handheld VHF DSC radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
In all my cruising years in and out of the UK,I never even thought of licensing my hand portable. I do not think that anyone else did either.
Aren't handheld DSC capable radios a relatively new thing. I don't really recall seeing them in the past.

I just use the same MMSI as the boat but I guess OP idea of different MMSI to make DSC calls between dinghy and mothership is useful.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 11:36   #17

Boat: Najad 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
In all my cruising years in and out of the UK,I never even thought of licensing my hand portable. I do not think that anyone else did either.
Ah, but we know have portables with AIS and linked auto DSC calling.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 12:41   #18

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Aren't handheld DSC capable radios a relatively new thing. I don't really recall seeing them in the past.

I just use the same MMSI as the boat but I guess OP idea of different MMSI to make DSC calls between dinghy and mothership is useful.

Been around for at least 15 years, early ones did not have GPS built in and would report the last position before they were removed from the cradle. Registration authorities had a major problem with these. Later ones have GPS and having a individual MMSI makes the distress function much more useful as it is identified as a portable, life raft, dinghy incident away from mother ship, diver support, etc etc.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 13:06   #19

Boat: Najad 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post

I would imagine folks spending big money on something like an ICOM 1C-94 want to do more that dinghy to mothership. They need a Ships Portable License, separate from their Ships License to use it for DSC calls from other vessels.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 13:09   #20

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeasy123 View Post
I would imagine folks spending big money on something like an ICOM 1C-94 want to do more that dinghy to mothership. They need a Ships Portable License, separate from their Ships License to use it for DSC calls from other vessels.
Why? If the device is used on board the mothership for DSC calls the fact that it is portable is irrelevant. Portable licenses are a relatively new thing the radios have predated them for a while.

Pretty sure there are tens of thousands of ICOM IC-904 being used right now with the motherships MMSI programmed in.

Now there are some niche applications where the radio will move between multiple vessels and those should have a portable license. An example would be a delivery captain who brings his own radio because he doesn't trust the client's gear. A portable radio programmed with one specific mothership would make no sense in that usage. Another example would be a sailing club where there are 20 vessels and no onboard radio, club members just grab any portable and use it with any vessel. Portable license is a perfect fit there.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc, radio, vhf