Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2022, 02:50   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1350
Mobile Phone Signal Boosting with Glomex RA160 Antenna

Hi - I have done a bit of searching and gained some knowledge but I have a specific question that I am hoping others can help with.

I have a Glomex RA160 cell phone antenna fitted to my boat that I haven't used before. I am wanting to know how I can boost my mobile phone signal strength using this.

This is the antenna I have. Glomex RA160

I also have a Smoothtalker phone holder which can plug into an external antenna and then has a Lightning plug. However this was bought for an iPhone 5 and I now have an iPhone 7 which is wider so to get it to work I will have to file away the mount wings to get the wider phone to fit in.

This is the mount I have Smoothtalker

Is it as simple as doing that? Fitting my iPhone 7 to the mount, getting the right adaptor to go from the Smoothtalker to the aerial cable (need to fit a female socket to the end of my coax) and then what gain should I expect to see? Will it be a meaningful improvement?

The antenna is around 10m up the mast with high quality coax but not sure how much signal boost there is from the mount to the phone?

I know that there are better systems like Cel-fi out there now but that satellite links like Starlink are becoming available so I really want to do something on the cheap with what I have - but only if it will be worthwhile. Is there any other way I can use what I have better?

I note the Glomex RA160 info sheet I have says it works from 800-980 MHz with 6db gain. Some websites also say it does 1800-1900 MHz.

Keen to hear any thoughts / experiences / cheap alternatives.
Smooth Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, mob, phone