Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2020, 23:47   #1

Mobile Signal Booster?

Could someone who has done their research help me with a few question...

To increase connectivity to mobile networks I assume there are two options:

1. External antenna to mobile router which gives a wifi signal. You get a local SIM card and that then provides the connection.

2. Some kind of signal booster which then provides a stronger phone signal to you existing mobile which could have a local sim on your normal domestic sim which can roam abroad.

In each case there appears many many options and many are packaged up marine brands with very high prices. I imagine, with the right choice you can achieve the same as 10% of the cost which is usually the case with boating

Many thanks!
northcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 02:42   #2

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Re: Mobile Signal Booster?

For data and SMS, you can put your phone in a dry bag and haul to top of the mast. Before you do, create the SMS you wish to send and click send. It will go once you haul it up. Any new ones will be downloaded. For data, turn on hotspot and connect to phone. I used to access Telstra network from Lady Musgrave Island which is about 35 nm off the coast (almost 70 km). Did not work all the time, but most of the time I could get a connection.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 02:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
For data and SMS, you can put your phone in a dry bag and haul to top of the mast. Before you do, create the SMS you wish to send and click send. It will go once you haul it up. Any new ones will be downloaded. For data, turn on hotspot and connect to phone. I used to access Telstra network from Lady Musgrave Island which is about 35 nm off the coast (almost 70 km). Did not work all the time, but most of the time I could get a connection.

Thanks yes I do that currently, but my assumption is that an active antenna will be able to received significantly better signal than a phone could.
northcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 05:34   #4

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

This is something we've been looking into, too. Still putting together options. Installing a booster seems to slide up and down on the priority scale for us.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 06:34   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

I ended up doing both, an external aerial combined with a mobile booster. I already owned an RFI CD2197 aerial (that was setup for 3G) which I used to directly connect to a Telstra USB. Recently I purchased a Cel-Fi Go Stationary booster that can connect to my existing aerial. Currently using at home to solve really bad cellular reception and it definitely boosts reception. Plan to install on my yacht in the future.

Even with just the antenna it improved reception. One good advice I received was not to make the cable to long otherwise you lose signal strength. Thats why you can be better off with the antenna on the back railing rather than the top of the mast.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:33   #6

FWIW Weboost drive 4g-x is discounted from $400 to $270 at bestbuy today.
Not seen them that cheap. Might help you out
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob