Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2009, 21:06   #31

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I just got a cheaper icom for Christmas and was a little disconcerted to find that it only had an AC charging unit (wall wart type). Does the HX850 have dc charging capabilities? I don't really relish going through a million AA batteries on a voyage either.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 13:01   #32

My icom's charging stand accepts 13.8 volts coming from it's "wall wart." (pretty much the same voltage coming from a lead acid battery) I've always assumed that it was designed to be powered directly from the boats DC power.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

If this is so, then all you need to do is connect your charging stand directly to your boats DC power supply (with the correct polarity of course.)
s/v Necessity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 13:14   #33

Is this that the configuration you are using now? What model Icom do you have? Mine is an m34. I want to return it but am having a hell of a time getting an RA form from Boater World. Which I am finding to be one crappy store. If anyone wants it I will sell it to them for $150. New in the box.
Old 03-01-2010, 14:33   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I'm a little concerned: are you considering a handheld instead of a fixed mount radio? The fixed mount can be CHEAPER, give you 4 or five times the range and power, and also give you the capability of sending the Coast Guard your exact position with the push of a single button! (That's what DSC can do for you.) A handheld radio is a bit further down the list of things to get!

There are several $99 25 watt fixed mount radios that will use your masthead antenna. All of them offer a limited form of DSC but competition has led at least Standard Horizon to implement the most useful features or higher-end DSC radios in their least expensive (but still very good) radio. Get your ship's radio geared up first, then shop for a handheld. But when you do, get one that floats, uses AA batteries, and fits into your dinghy bag with a flare or two!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 18:05   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

13.8 volts is a nominal "float charge" or idle speed OK, can that be voltage from most alternators, although the better ones will be putting out 14.3-14.4 volts during real charging. That's all the same as a nominal 12 volts for vehicle equipment powered from a "12 volt" alternator system.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:58   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
I'm a little concerned: are you considering a handheld instead of a fixed mount radio? The fixed mount can be CHEAPER, give you 4 or five times the range and power, and also give you the capability of sending the Coast Guard your exact position with the push of a single button! (That's what DSC can do for you.) A handheld radio is a bit further down the list of things to get!

There are several $99 25 watt fixed mount radios that will use your masthead antenna. All of them offer a limited form of DSC but competition has led at least Standard Horizon to implement the most useful features or higher-end DSC radios in their least expensive (but still very good) radio. Get your ship's radio geared up first, then shop for a handheld. But when you do, get one that floats, uses AA batteries, and fits into your dinghy bag with a flare or two!
I will be going with an 850 and installing an attachable antenna at the masthead. Much of our cruising will be with the mast down so that will negate the importance of a fixed mount radio. As you know the 850 has GPS and DSC installed. All of our crusing will be inland and near coastal so I am not extremely concerned with range although it is still a factor hence the masthead.
Old 20-12-2010, 11:39   #37

Send a message via Yahoo to Sheriff
hx850s by standard horizon.has floating capability and gps.6 watts out
Old 20-12-2010, 12:21   #38

Send a message via Yahoo to Sheriff
the standard horizon hx850s has 6w out and gps. 6watts is the most a hand held puts out.