Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2016, 16:10   #31

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Mounting A Shoot Thru Transducer

Rod, reading your posts and have a question.

Are you saying a transducer can fail if allowed to ping across an air gap? Such as when the transfer liquid has escaped and there is no really solid mounting. Like my transducer affixed only at the corners and water in the gap, that may but has not yet escaped.
Old 30-12-2016, 16:44   #32

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Yes, epoxy resin will work.

The energy transfer through epoxy may not be quite as good as through polyester resin.

One of the key reasons I avoid epoxy use is the risk of becoming sensitized to it. I know people who have become so sensitized to epoxy that now (and presumably for the rest of their lives) can't go anywhere near it (several hundred feet) without severe reaction.

There are very few applications where polyester resin can't be substituted for epoxy, and certainly where epoxy doesn't need to be substituted for polyester. There are certainly applications where epoxy CAN'T be substituted for polyester.
With my background of laying-up as a youngster and later having owned more than a few copies of Gougeon Brothers on Boat Building....I'm now just an epoxy devotee.
And Rod, surely you'd agree that epoxy bonds to polyester more efficiently than a poly/poly bond. Yes?
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 20:50   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Rod, reading your posts and have a question.

Are you saying a transducer can fail if allowed to ping across an air gap? Such as when the transfer liquid has escaped and there is no really solid mounting. Like my transducer affixed only at the corners and water in the gap, that may but has not yet escaped.
Well, some high power sonars can damage the transducer if it is left to fire in open air for considerable time (days), but the real issue is that any air gap or bubbles between the transducer face and the transmission medium will severely attenuate the signal. (IOW, it won't work.) In effect the sound wave (in air) bounces back and forth between the hull and transducer until it dissipates rather than coupling and transmitting through the hull.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 21:48   #34
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
With my background of laying-up as a youngster and later having owned more than a few copies of Gougeon Brothers on Boat Building....I'm now just an epoxy devotee.
And Rod, surely you'd agree that epoxy bonds to polyester more efficiently than a poly/poly bond. Yes?
The Gudgeon ;-) Brothers have done a great job marketing epoxy, convincing many that this is the only material that can or should be used to repair a polyester resin boat.

IMHO, this notion is incorrect.

A properly prepared polyester resin FRP mechanical bond is as strong as the materials bonded.

We perform almost all FRP repairs using polyester resin. Never had a failure.

I must admit that I sometimes use 5 minute epoxy to bond electrical tie wrap cradles to FRP, just because it cures so fast.

But I will extend this warning to all, when working with epoxy, use proper protective clothing and an organic mask, because the day one turns sensitive to this stuff, will be the last day they'll be able to go anywhere near it while its curing, and depending on conditions, it may not fully cure to the point one won't be sensitized for weeks.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 21:59   #35

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
The Gudgeon ;-) Brothers have done a great job marketing epoxy, convincing many that this is the only material that can or should be used to repair a polyester resin boat.

IMHO, this notion is incorrect.

A properly prepared polyester resin FRP mechanical bond is as strong as the materials bonded.

We perform almost all FRP repairs using polyester resin. Never had a failure.

I must admit that I sometimes use 5 minute epoxy to bond electrical tie wrap cradles to FRP, just because it cures so fast.

But I will extend this warning to all, when working with epoxy, use proper protective clothing and an organic mask, because the day one turns sensitive to this stuff, will be the last day they'll be able to go anywhere near it while its curing, and depending on conditions, it may not fully cure to the point one won't be sensitized for weeks.
That'll do me!
Thank you Sir.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:04   #36

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18

UPDATE!, Looking in my bilge I noticed a puddle of water laying just on the outside of the stringer. I thought I wonder how it reads here. I hooked it up and seems to be good, I ran the wires thru the boat and went for a sail. No problems, didn't use anything to hold it down it just sit in water under a couple hoses worked great. Even caught a nice kingfish for dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1016.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	138888  
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:13   #37

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

One final note. I have one of those Garmin clearvu sidevu downscan chirp transducers. Talked to Garmin about inside hull mounting and they recommended strongly against. Apparently that transducer generates heat and needs to be cooled by water. Said it would probably fail within a year otherwise.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:58   #38

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Does the orientation of the transducer make any difference?

I am wondering if I should try to keep it pointed in the same direction as it would be if I had mounted off the transom.

Thanks!
Kevin
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:25   #39

Ours is an external type mounted internally and it works perfectly. I was careful to keep it the right way up as I suspect it might be important. That's based on gut feeling rather than any great knowledge.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:36   #40

[QUOTE=kclancy;2289977]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
toilet bowl wax ring

I've never had a chart plotter, but received one for Christmas. Did you put the transducer inside the ring on the hull and the massage the wax to cover the transducer? I'm trying to imagine how this works. I want to try this before other more permanent installations. Thanks!
No, the idea is to use just the wax ring material, as if it was the silicone or oil, plumbers putty or water mentioned in other posts. You could buy a full wax ring or just a bunch of the material which is also sold without the built-in ring shape.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 18:08   #41

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Temporarily mounted one (not the same model) in my boat years ago. Used silicon in the integral to hull shower sump. This way there is usually water between the hull and transducer. Was meant to be temporary, but worked so well I never changed it...that was over a decade ago!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 19:01   #42

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
toilet bowl wax ring material
I tried using the toilet bowl wax ring. It didn't work for my tranducet. On to the next option.... =)
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 05:05   #43

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclancy View Post
Does the orientation of the transducer make any difference?

I am wondering if I should try to keep it pointed in the same direction as it would be if I had mounted off the transom.

Thanks!
Kevin
that matters only with side- or downscan transducers, & they don't work through the hull anyway. all the others ("dual or single beam" have circular elements that send in a cone-shape, very often 60 & 20°)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote