Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2020, 00:19   #1

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Multiplexers for ST1, 0183, N2K, & Ethernet

Ocelot started with a bunch of Raymarine SeaTalk 1 instruments. Over the years, we've added NMEA0182/3 (GPS & AIS) & N2K (Radar) systems.

I would like to multiplex all this together & put it on our Instruments WiFi network, so all computers would have access to the info.

I bought a ShipModul Miniplex-3E-N2K that's supposed to provide all of this functionality, but it's not working correctly. It won't read my AIS at all, through any port, even though OpenCPN (via RS232<->USB converter) & our Standard Horizon GX2000 read the AIS fine. And the N2K GPS data from our Simrad NSS7 is visible on WiFi, but doesn't seem to get onto the ST1 bus (& our ST1 GPS just died).

Does anyone know of another MUX that might provide the functionality I'm looking for? Or does anyone have thoughts on why my ShipModul MUX is misbehaving? TIA!
Old 21-11-2020, 00:55   #2

Boat: Boreal 47
Re: Multiplexers for ST1, 0183, N2K, & Ethernet

If you feel like being a guinea pig, I have made this: https://github.com/bjarnek44/electro...ter/nmea_multi

The documentation on that page describes what it can do and how it works.

I have used it myself for my on-board communication for quite a while and it seems to work well.

Let me know if you are interested and I will help you out. It is probably most realistic if you already have some Raspberry Pi experience.
BjarneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 03:42   #3

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Or does anyone have thoughts on why my ShipModul MUX is misbehaving? TIA!
For the GPS N2K ->Seatalk conversion, have you explicitly told it to do that? From the manual:

Quote:
To prevent overloading the SeaTalk1 bus, no NMEA
0183 or NMEA 2000 data is converted to SeaTalk1 by
default. Any conversion to SeaTalk1 must be specified
with an entry in the routing table.
The obvious suggestion for the AIS would b double check the input is set to 38400 but I'm guessing you've done that.

Have you tried asking shipmodul support? I don't own a miniplex only because I write my own diy multiplexing software but the miniplex is such a well thought out piece of kit I'd be surprised if support wasn't competent.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 08:06   #4

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Jon,

The AIS data is a higher baud rate and your ShipModul multiplex has a default rate output of 400. Run the configuration program and reset one of the channels for the AIS rate. That should solve your prob without buying another box.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 08:43   #5

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

We had a ShipModul multiplexer that came with the boat when we got it. It failed when we were in Alaska @ 3 years ago and we replaced it with a nemo gateway from Rose Point Navigation Systems and have been very happy with it.

It does require a seperate wireless router - we simply used one we had - plugged it into the gateway and works very well.

https://www.rosepoint.com/nemo-gateway/
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 09:00   #6

Boat: TES 678 BT

Dear,

I also installed the Shipmodul 3 USB.
Ilearned how to use all settings with the Multiplex software.
GPS to VHF works well,
GPS to Open CPN works well too
But just like you, no AIS Data from my Radio Ocean VHF/AIS station goes to the Open CPN.
I asked the people at Shipmodul for help (a guy called Meindert, very friendly) but the problem was not solved so far.
Maybe your and my AIS output on the VHF station is not working?
I will read any other users input , with pleasure.

Philip, S/V Sogno
Skipper Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 09:34   #7

Dear Jon,
In case you can't get the SM MUX to work, you might like to take a look at Quark Electronics equipment.
Referring to the attached, I also had legacy Raymarine instruments which I wanted to integrate with my B&G Zeus MFD as well as OpenCPN on a PC and iPad/iNavX. I also wanted to receive AIS data from a Vesper XB6000 on the PC and the iPad.
I installed a Quark A034 which has a dedicated ST input, 3 NMEA 0183 input ports and one NMEA2K port. (N.B. I think NMEA 0183 and ST is one way only - i.e. input only to the Quark).

I am not an expert and so it took some trial and error of the settings together with very helpful support from Quark for me to be able to receive the required info via the Quark WiFi. However it has now been successfully running for several weeks and I am pleased with the result.

I am still trying to find a way of sending radar data through to the Quark and then to my PC / OpenCPN, but this might be asking too much as I suspect the Simnet connection on the radar interface box is only allowing incoming data from the NMEA2K backbone. I may well have to put up with a wired interface from the ethernet cable. (If someone out there has a solution..... ??)
Best Regards
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quark installation.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	227364  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Via Col Vento Concept Qark.pdf (412.2 KB, 44 views)
PeterJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 13:08   #8

Boat: Outremer 42

I used a Shipmodul for 5 years with a fair and continually altering mix of kit feeding it. All outputs were by wifi into whatever PC/Linux/Android/Mac was in use at the time.
The only trouble I had was with SeaTalk which required (from memory) a high baud rate and the Multiplexer would only accept one input from Seatalk - not a problem in effect as it happily accepted everything else as well. For the other bits, the main problem was resolved by resetting the baud rates for each feed in config.sys as others have suggested.
Solid kit in my experience.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 05:42   #9

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Have been using a MiniPlex-3Wi(-N2K) Multiplexer for the last 3 years and has worked fine converting Raymarine to NMEA 0183 plus accepting and outputing AIS both to plotters and wirelessly to my ipad.

As a few other has said, you need to make sure each input and output is configured correctly.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 09:03   #10

Boat: Contrast 33

Have you gone in via MPX Config3 and changed the baud rate on the port that AIS is attached to? Default is 4800, but AIS runs at 38400, so it needs to be changed. Note that input 4 and output 1 are tied together, so will always use the same rate, so be sure to connect your AIS to a different input.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 05:15   #11

Boat: Compromis 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJohn View Post
Dear Jon,

I am still trying to find a way of sending radar data through to the Quark and then to my PC / OpenCPN, but this might be asking too much as I suspect the Simnet connection on the radar interface box is only allowing incoming data from the NMEA2K backbone. I may well have to put up with a wired interface from the ethernet cable. (If someone out there has a solution..... ??)
Best Regards
Peter
What information do you need to get to OpenCPN?
The Wifi option from Quark is very good to get your opencpn connected to the Quark Elec Multiplexer. All the input data from NMEA and Seatalk to OpenCPN. Within opencpn you can display the data on you maps and as meters with depth, log speed, GPS speed and location etc.

I will try to get a autopilot up and running with opencpn as a next step.
NielsvdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 09:48   #12

Dear Niels
I do receive Seatalk data from the RayMarine instruments via the WiFi / Quark link into OpenCPN.
My problem is how to import radar data into OpenCPN.
Peter
PeterJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 03:23   #13

Boat: Compromis 777

Using a Multiplexer with NMEA 2K in?
A034 Quark or other brand?

After that get it using Wifi to opencpn.
NielsvdB is offline   Reply With Quote