Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 13:08   #76
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Re: My Macbook Pro 13 Died.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
MAYBE with a thumb drive but not a HD. Do I Really Need to Eject USB Drives Before Removing Them?

And the point remains, Windows expects you to do it one way, their way, which is often a very weird way.
After reading your link and re-reading your initial thumb drive post I find that Apple gives you one way to remove a drive; you must eject it. Microsoft appears to give you 2 ways to remove a drive; you can use the eject button or you can just pull the drive if you are comfortable with that.

Excerpts from linked LifeHacker article pertaining to removing USB drives in Windows:
Quote:
So, unlike OS X and Linux, Windows has a few precautions in place for preventing data loss.
Quote:
In the end, there's no reason not to eject your drives, and doing so will ensure your data is uber-safe. Windows users may be less likely to experience issues due to the way Windows handles removable drives, but they aren't 100% immune.
Since I don't think we are adding to the OP's thread I'm signing off on the USB removal question.
Old 22-10-2012, 13:39   #77

My Macbook is in for service and I've been using my Dell. I absolutely hate Windows based pc..

I've had more unexpected behavior in 30 days with the Windows pc than the last 7 years with the MAc..

Get the Mac fixed whatever the cost...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 15:30   #78

I own nothing but Macs for reliability reasons. I wonder what the "mission" of your laptop is? Maybe you can do what you need with an iPad. I have found that with a wireless keyboard and an iPad I can do about 80 percent of what I need to do. And I make my living as a writer and editor.
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 03:02   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochip
And I make my living as a writer and editor.
I'd love to make a supplemental income from this, can I ask how did you start?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 17:30   #80

I own Macs and PCs. I have repaired every computer I've owned or had them apart to upgrade components. My experience has been mixed on reliability for both with the exception of old IBM Thinkpads which were bulletproof.

OS X is more stable than Windows and is the only reason I own Macs.
Tipright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:23   #81

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hey I dont know if the OP has been sorted out but my macbook pro 17" took a crap on me too. But I fixed it

I removed the logic board, the graphics chip has unsoldered itself through overheating. I reflowed the solder by putting it in the oven for 8 minutes at 200 degrees celsius and guess what< Yup, its working fine again.

Look for "baked apple" or similar threads on youtube, full instructions are there. I would not have tried it if it was not a lost cause anyway...
Old 06-12-2012, 12:49   #82

Keep in mind these devices are becoming more difficult to open and service without proper tools and training. Longtime Mac users are becoming frustrated with this, but many people think dumbing down the entire experience is better in the long haul. Like it or not, it's happening.
Old 07-12-2012, 13:16   #83

Yeah, I'm pretty techie and I've always dived right in to the guts of my macbooks. Replacing the screen on my last cheapo PC was a nightmare and there's just no way I'd even attempt it on my mackbook air.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 13:38   #84
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinewright View Post
Keep in mind these devices are becoming more difficult to open and service without proper tools and training. Longtime Mac users are becoming frustrated with this, but many people think dumbing down the entire experience is better in the long haul. Like it or not, it's happening.
Heh, they've always been that way. I used to be an Apple Service tech back when Mac's were relatively new. They took a host of specialized tools. Firstly, you had to have this foot long Torx driver because Apple recessed the top screws so far in. They did it on purpose, too, just to be difficult.

Then, you had a handy spring loaded spreader affectionately known as "the Mac cracker" to pull the front off the case without leaving pry marks from a chisel or screwdriver. It wasn't necessary if you didn't mind a ton of chisel marks on your really expensive machine...

And lastly, a huge ground sink for the tube (they were all-in-one back then) with the grin-inspiring moniker of "anal probe." One had to be diligent in grounding that baby out or it'd knock you on your tail if you brushed it.

They were way harder to work on back then, too. Just look at an original Powerbook and the static charge from your eyelashes when you blinked would fry it. That was after the "where is that last damn screw hiding" because half of them were under stickers of some sort. Hell, the third (I think) series powerbooks had to have the keyboards removed to open the case. Just a hair too much torque on a screw putting it back in and half the keys wouldn't press because the board was tweaked. Another hair and it would crack. I can't tell you how many machines came in for upgrades and left with new keyboards...

During the PowerMac years they tacked, and started making cases that were as easy as possible to open and access. CD-ROM bays were even on hinges so you could flip them up out of the way. The PowerPC Powerbooks could be sucessfully dissassembled outside a nuclear facility clean room. Life was good. And then I married and got a real job. Bummer.

At any rate, thanks for the ride down memory lane... Glad I don't have to do that anymore...

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 14:47   #85

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

Just an update what happened after my macbook died......only two years old.
After writing letters to headquarters in the US the manager here in Bisbane Apple Store called and told me he wanted to fix our relationship more than fixing my computer. I didn't know we had a relationship but anyway. I took the Macbook in the store and it felt like a visit to McDonalds. I don't think there was anybody in the shop older than 20.
A day later he called me to tell me the best he can do is fixing it for $500 ( original Quote was $750)
By then I wasn't a happy camper and I told him not to worry about it and I pick it up and leave it broken. I have a real problem talking to 19 year old know it all specially if they are as arrogant as that little turd was.
If that is how Apple is going to run it's business in the future they be back in trouble very soon. I would have been happy to pay for half the repair but after the Manager told me it is acceptable that a $1500 Laptop dies after only two years I gave up.
It is sad because windows is not doing them self any favors with Win 8 and Apple could win the race I think....but not like that. If you follow the Macforum ( where posts they don't like get deleted from Apple) plenty of unhappy people out there. Interesting to see what is going to happen.

Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 15:02   #86

You had the option of Apple Care. And, if you had used a Visa or MasterCard or for your purchase, that would have doubled your warranty. In your ignorance, you made a very poor decision. Apple routinely upgrades it's machines under repair. You would have received not only a new logic board, but most likely a new HD and display at a minimum. They just as likely would have given you a completely new upgraded laptop. Not bad for $500. Be kinder to the "turd" you deal with next time you require customer assistance. A little kindness goes a long way.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 15:54   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell

Tar24, well said.
Old 07-12-2012, 17:31   #88

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
You had the option of Apple Care. And, if you had used a Visa or MasterCard or for your purchase, that would have doubled your warranty. In your ignorance, you made a very poor decision. Apple routinely upgrades it's machines under repair. You would have received not only a new logic board, but most likely a new HD and display at a minimum. They just as likely would have given you a completely new upgraded laptop. Not bad for $500. Be kinder to the "turd" you deal with next time you require customer assistance. A little kindness goes a long way.
Yes I can buy apple care....another $460 for two years warranty on a product that is supposed to be superior to anything else on the market.
By the way I am in business myself for the last 30 years and I would never talk to my customers the way he did.Maybe they should start employing grown ups in the stores......
Anyway all good......

Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 18:21   #89

Here in the States, one can buy a policy for a laptop used for business purposes which covers accidents and theft. Here it is called and Inland Marine Policy. You may have a similar product available to you through your insurance company. I carry it for $60 a year. Nice to have if your laptop slides off the chart table.

Cheers
Tar
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote