Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2022, 08:17   #16

Re: NASA marine nmea wind sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
How do they advertise “ deceptively “ this is a long standing U.K. company called NASA MARINE LTD , their logo has nothing in common with a little known US agency

only an idiot mixes that up with a space agency that faked the moon landing !!!!

I have dealt with the company on its NAVTEX products which it has a 30 year history in , found them excellent

Never once thought I was buying a Apollo 11 unit.
Just for the record, here are the two logos in question.

Are you seriously going to claim, with a straight face, that the marine instrument company made up its name and logo completely independently, with absolutely no intention to help themselves to something that wasn't theirs, namely the brand goodwill of the space agency?

Here's the space agency logo used from 1975 to 1992:

And here's the marine company's logo:

Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:21   #17

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I have several pieces of NASA "Marine Limited" kit and they all work as described no frills and excellent pricing. Their tech help line is also excellent with people who actually know and understand the products.

My only concern with a wifi masthead unit would be distance and interference. I remember that TacTic (wireless mast head wind) who were bought out by Raymarine had issues with this and if I remember had two versions depending on the mast height. It was a while ago so they may have resolved the issues.

I would check out the NASA manual or give them a call to confirm your mast height is within spec and won't be a problem.

If you fancy one with no moving parts I have and would recommend a LCJCaptuers ultrasonic wind sensor. Mine is wired but they do have a wireless version. Multiple interface options including NMEA and Raymarine. Again excellent technical aftersales.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:43   #18

Boat: Nautor's Swan 431

A friend of mine bought a NASA wireless BT wind sensor a couple of years ago for the top of his boat's mast which is 16m above the water. He had constant connection problems both summers and it didn't work reliably at all. The guy was a bit disappointed with the device and the non-existent support he received from the importer.

I myself have occasionally encountered very poor and, on the other hand, exemplary customer service from companies selling boat equipment. The following story serves as an example of the latter.

Coincidentally, our 5 year old Airmar WX200 ultrasonic wind sensor broke down last spring. I was doing a normal firmware update on it with my laptop via the 0183 bus (it has both 0183 and n2k) when the connection went down for some reason. I tried a terminal connection without Airmar's own software to take care of it, but I couldn't due to certain technical parameters. Following Airmar USA's instructions, I sent the device to Airmar in France where it was repaired and sent back to me in the autumn. All FREE of charge! However, it was already 5 years old at the time.

While waiting for the WX-200 to be serviced I bought a B&G WS-320 ultrasonic wind sensor and receiver (n2k) for one summer to replace this Airmar. It worked very well and had no connection problems and was not interfered with by similar signals from neighboring boats. The sensor was at the top of the mast on our boat at 21m, perhaps a little higher than the average boat.

Since the Airmar wind sensor contains many other sensors (gps, compass, acceleration, pitch angle, etc) the manufacturer claims it can calculate wind speed and wind angle more accurately than a mechanical sensor. For example, to take into account the vector component of the wind on a sensor tilted at 25 degrees when the boat is tacking. Maybe, maybe not!
ihe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:49   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Mine is a cabled unit. Nmra0183 to mast base then nmea0183 to nmea2000 converter
Old 02-11-2022, 09:49   #20

The Airmar model I have is WX-220 not 200, sorry about the wrong information.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:56   #21

…and the WS-320 is a mechanical one (not ultrasonic) using bluetooth communication.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:56   #22

Quote:
Mine is a cabled unit. Nmra0183 to mast base then nmea0183 to nmea2000 converter

Don't know where I got the impression you were intending to buy the wireless version. Based on NASA's other wired NMEA equipment it should work fine
Old 02-11-2022, 11:30   #23

I also have been considering the wireless wind sensor to use with the Raymarine Axiom. One thing that I really like about these units is that they don't require brand specific instrument (screen) to calibrate and set dead-ahead (unlike Raymarine that requires ST series or i70 device for this).
Seems like NASA Marine wireless+0183 converter->N2K converter->SeatalkNG adapter would be easy to install and at least 50% cheaper than alternatives
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 11:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
If you fancy one with no moving parts I have and would recommend a LCJCaptuers ultrasonic wind sensor. Mine is wired but they do have a wireless version. Multiple interface options including NMEA and Raymarine. Again excellent technical aftersales.
To be honest, when I read this thread I wondered a bit why goboatingnow bought a "normal" windsensor instead of an advanced ultrasensor one? Money be damned but I read favorable reviews of the LCJ Capteurs (CV7) model you mention (and recommend) here.

I once lost a wind cup to a (bloody) bird and don't want to happen it again. (On the other hand, with the rather cheap Nasa sensor one could offset at least ten "fateful bird sittings").
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:57   #25
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
To be honest, when I read this thread I wondered a bit why goboatingnow bought a "normal" windsensor instead of an advanced ultrasensor one? Money be damned but I read favorable reviews of the LCJ Capteurs (CV7) model you mention (and recommend) here.

I once lost a wind cup to a (bloody) bird and don't want to happen it again. (On the other hand, with the rather cheap Nasa sensor one could offset at least ten "fateful bird sittings").
I looked at the lcj unit it’s expensive and I will not run nmea2000 up the mast so I need a lcj plus nmea converter. Nence the nasa unit. I don’t regard wind as a critical instrument
Old 02-11-2022, 13:40   #26

Quote:
I looked at the lcj unit it’s expensive and I will not run nmea2000 up the mast so I need a lcj plus nmea converter. Nence the nasa unit. I don’t regard wind as a critical instrument

Yes, the LCJ is expensive it is however super stable when compared to a mechanical vane. The NASA looks like a good budget sensor. Be interested in your feedback once installed.
Old 02-11-2022, 16:23   #27

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

"You don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows." -- Bob Dylan

1) Tie several lengths of yarn to the shrouds.

2) Look at them and determine the direction of the wind.

3) While looking, draw on decades of sailing experience to decide how strong the wind is. If confirmation is needed, look at the waves.

4) Adjust sails accordingly.

Sure, you have to look up from your computer screen to do it, but that's how sailors have been judging wind for thousands of years.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 21:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post

3) While looking, draw on decades of sailing experience to decide how strong the wind is. If confirmation is needed, look at the waves.

Sure, you have to look up from your computer screen to do it, but that's how sailors have been judging wind for thousands of years.
True, but it does make things easier. It allows to steer to wind, lets you know if wind is getting stronger and can serve as a reminder when to reef, may help to fine tune the sails maybe...
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:05   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post

Captain cook is that you.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:05   #30
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Yes, the LCJ is expensive it is however super stable when compared to a mechanical vane. The NASA looks like a good budget sensor. Be interested in your feedback once installed.

It’s on order. Installing it Dec

Tags
asa, marine, nmea, sensor, wind